Singapore Expats Forum

Buy fresh crab

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.

Sponsored by:
Image
AE Logistics - Movers & Storage

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6837
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Buy fresh crab

Postby zzm9980 » Thu, 09 May 2013 9:04 pm

Does anyone have any suggestions on a good place to buy fresh crab? Besides NTUC? Ideally on the East Coast, and not something where I have to go to the docks at 4:30am before it sells out.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34341
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 09 May 2013 9:50 pm

If I'm buying in bulk, I normally give these guys a call and pick 'em up around 8 in the morning. Prices are better than most places as he's a crab distributor. While Kovan isn't the closest place to East Coast, it's not all that far either (damn sight closer than the docks in Senoko where I sometimes go at 4:30 in the morning - cheaper still) But then I'm buying a couple of dozen mangrove crabs for steaming Chesapeake Bay style. For Chili Crab / Currys, Jim's is closer for say up to a dozen.

https://maps.google.com.sg/maps?ie=UTF8 ... l=SG&hl=en

User avatar
Sergei82
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1455
Joined: Mon, 02 Nov 2009

Re: Buy fresh crab

Postby Sergei82 » Fri, 10 May 2013 10:34 am

zzm9980 wrote:Does anyone have any suggestions on a good place to buy fresh crab? Besides NTUC? Ideally on the East Coast, and not something where I have to go to the docks at 4:30am before it sells out.

Why NTUC is bad?

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6837
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Re: Buy fresh crab

Postby zzm9980 » Fri, 10 May 2013 12:21 pm

Sergei82 wrote:Why NTUC is bad?


No. but I'm sure there is better and their supply isn't consistant.

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Re: Buy fresh crab

Postby nakatago » Fri, 10 May 2013 12:44 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
Sergei82 wrote:Why NTUC is bad?


No. but I'm sure there is better and their supply isn't consistant.


Sheong Siong? They almost always have tanks in their stores.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34341
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 10 May 2013 1:49 pm

Sheong Siong is a good choice and slightly less $$$ than NTUC. To get cheaper, some of the wetmarkets would be next on the list. Then comes the distributor's (Jim's is one) and then from the dock/port facilities ) cheapest.

Basically, depends on the quantum. This past weekend NTUC had Mangrove Crabs (really fresh) but they were selling them at $2.99/100gm. I was talking to a guy who was in line at the seafood counter, holding two crabs, that it was going to cost him around $31 for the two crabs. Sure enough, $31.8+ for two crabs. Too much.

Occasionally they will have some decent buys on Flower Crab (Blue Swimmers) But usually they are not "live" so I hesitate to buy as I'll only buy live crabs. Frozen crabs or iced crabs don't have a "died on" date, so I am leery of buying.

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9528
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Re: Buy fresh crab

Postby ecureilx » Fri, 10 May 2013 1:56 pm

nakatago wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:
Sergei82 wrote:Why NTUC is bad?


No. but I'm sure there is better and their supply isn't consistant.


Sheong Siong? They almost always have tanks in their stores.


But .. not all crabs can be kept fully immersed in water .. and flower crabs are not sold alive ..

now, if you take Alaskan King .. well ..

User avatar
Sergei82
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1455
Joined: Mon, 02 Nov 2009

Postby Sergei82 » Fri, 10 May 2013 2:02 pm

Wait a second, I just saw flower crabs yesterday in NTUC - they were pretty much alive and moving!

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34341
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 10 May 2013 2:28 pm

Sergei82, were they in the tanks or on ice? Look at the price difference as well.

User avatar
Sergei82
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1455
Joined: Mon, 02 Nov 2009

Postby Sergei82 » Fri, 10 May 2013 2:39 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Sergei82, were they in the tanks or on ice? Look at the price difference as well.

In a tank, although almost completely dry one.
Of course, those that are already prepackaged packeged, can't stand a chance to survive. :)
But the fact is: I saw live flower crabs in Tampines Mall Fair Price.

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9528
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Postby ecureilx » Fri, 10 May 2013 2:49 pm

Sergei82 wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Sergei82, were they in the tanks or on ice? Look at the price difference as well.

In a tank, although almost completely dry one.
Of course, those that are already prepackaged packeged, can't stand a chance to survive. :)
But the fact is: I saw live flower crabs in Tampines Mall Fair Price.


noooo... you didn't ..

I am going to run across the road to take a peek and if they are alive and kicking, gonna pick up a few for my wifey .. :)

Thanks for the info .. am yet to see flower crab alive in Singapore .. (though I have to admit I am not a crab-cook/eat person at home .. )

User avatar
Sergei82
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1455
Joined: Mon, 02 Nov 2009

Postby Sergei82 » Fri, 10 May 2013 3:05 pm

ecureilx wrote:noooo... you didn't ..

I swear I did. Honestly, it is there not every day (or every day, but they do not last until the evening), but periodically I keep seeing those - next to fish in ice.

Btw, you also live across the road from Tampines Mall???

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9528
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Postby ecureilx » Fri, 10 May 2013 3:44 pm

Sergei82 wrote:
ecureilx wrote:noooo... you didn't ..

I swear I did. Honestly, it is there not every day (or every day, but they do not last until the evening), but periodically I keep seeing those - next to fish in ice.

Btw, you also live across the road from Tampines Mall???


No joy .. at 15.27 hours ZULU (or 07.27 hours GMT)

they can't be anymore dead !!!!!

Image

Maybe you saw them as they were brought in .. :)

Sergei82 wrote:Btw, you also live across the road from Tampines Mall???


I work around here :) and live far away .. like live near Phad Thai :D

User avatar
Sergei82
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1455
Joined: Mon, 02 Nov 2009

Postby Sergei82 » Fri, 10 May 2013 3:46 pm

I saw normal ones - not in ice, in tank!
Looks like they're there not every day.

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9528
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Postby ecureilx » Fri, 10 May 2013 3:51 pm

Sergei82 wrote:I saw normal ones - not in ice, in tank!
Looks like they're there not every day.


:) must mark my calender to do a hop and a trot to TM Fairprice and check one of the days again :)

No worries :)


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Staying, Living in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests