Singapore Expats

Salary Negotiation- Urgent

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.
yk2366

Salary Negotiation- Urgent

Post by yk2366 » Wed, 08 May 2013 5:51 pm

I just got a job offer as an research analyst, and it's a local package at an American Multi-national real estate firm.

It's the career I'm very interested in so I will surely accept, but the salary is a much lower than the salary I received back in the US. I realize it's a different country and a whole different ballgame (and I interviewed here along with other locals), so with that in mind:

-is it normal to negotiate a entry-level (or with two years experience) job?
-Or should I just accept? does that make me seem more "easy to get"?
-is it normal to have to respond back within 24 hours? (I don't think I need more time, but just wanted to research on the current "going"rate of the position in Singapore.
-I will delete this info soon, but it's a real estate analyst position and I've been offered $3200 for first 6 months of probation and $3800 thereafter. is this normal for my level? I received around $4500/per month USD back at home, which would be around $5000 SGD here right?

Thank you!
Last edited by yk2366 on Thu, 09 May 2013 11:53 am, edited 3 times in total.

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter

Re: Salary Negotiation- Urgent

Post by AngMoG » Wed, 08 May 2013 7:01 pm

yk2366 wrote:I just got a job offer as an research analyst, and it's a local package at an American Multi-national real estate firm.

It's the career I'm very interested in so I will surely accept, but the salary is a much lower than the salary I received back in the US. I realize it's a different country and a whole different ballgame (and I interviewed here along with other locals), so with that in mind:

-is it normal to negotiate a entry-level (or with two years experience) job?
-Or should I just accept? does that make me seem more "easy to get"?
-is it normal to have to respond back within 24 hours? (I don't think I need more time, but just wanted to research on the current "going"rate of the position in Singapore.
-I will delete this info soon, but it's a real estate analyst position and I've been offered $3200 for first 6 months of probation and $3800 thereafter. is this normal for my level? I received around $4500/per month USD back at home, which would be around $5000 SGD here right?

Thank you!
yk2366, this sounds a bit fishy to me, I would proceed with caution. If you can, negotiate, but at an entry-level position, your bargaining power is very low.

$3200 is not much, and what is more, at that level and for entry level position, your chances of getting the S-/E-Pass approved are also not very high - seeing as this is a position that probably a Singaporean would be able to do. $3800 for an entry-level / very-early-career position may be more ok, though it is definitely not great for a qualified candidate. Take note though, that in Singapore, income taxes are very low compared to the US, though those savings are eaten up by the unbelievably high rent here.

There are two things here that tick me off:
1) The "respond within 24 hours" part. No employer I have ever corresponded with has had that requirement. That probably means they want you to act without thinking.
2) The lower salary during probation period. Not only is that a bit strange, it is also counter-productive for visa matters - a $3800 starting salary would increase your chances significantly. My last employer had "special" provisions during probation period - very short notice period on their end, but not on mine - and that did not work out so well.

The other thing is that you need to get the contract, not just an "offer". There are basically no employee rights here, so mostly whatever is in the contract is valid, with some exceptions.

yk2366

Post by yk2366 » Wed, 08 May 2013 8:58 pm

AngMoG wrote:yk2366, this sounds a bit fishy to me, I would proceed with caution. If you can, negotiate, but at an entry-level position, your bargaining power is very low.

$3200 is not much, and what is more, at that level and for entry level position, your chances of getting the S-/E-Pass approved are also not very high - seeing as this is a position that probably a Singaporean would be able to do. $3800 for an entry-level / very-early-career position may be more ok, though it is definitely not great for a qualified candidate. Take note though, that in Singapore, income taxes are very low compared to the US, though those savings are eaten up by the unbelievably high rent here.

There are two things here that tick me off:
1) The "respond within 24 hours" part. No employer I have ever corresponded with has had that requirement. That probably means they want you to act without thinking.
2) The lower salary during probation period. Not only is that a bit strange, it is also counter-productive for visa matters - a $3800 starting salary would increase your chances significantly. My last employer had "special" provisions during probation period - very short notice period on their end, but not on mine - and that did not work out so well.

The other thing is that you need to get the contract, not just an "offer". There are basically no employee rights here, so mostly whatever is in the contract is valid, with some exceptions.
Thanks for your reply.

Right, I definitely was puzzled by the 24 hour deadilne, but the preferred start date was this coming Monday. So I just assumed they needed someone urgently. Not sure if this is a common practice though as I was usually given 2 weeks time in my previous jobs- but this was in America. Not sure if it's a common practice in Singapore.

I hold a master's degree in a similar profession from an ivy league. I don't know whether it makes a difference in the pay but I just assumed because it's a "local" package and not a transfer, and because I had heard how low people here make, I wasn't sure if it was unreasonable.

I will try to negotiate either way, and hopefully I can match close to what I had made at my prior jobs. I'm on a DP btw, so I hear it's easier to get the LOC- though I'm not sure if it would be approved that quickly to have me start in few days.

Btw- is there anyone who've started their job as soon as I am starting mine? (within three days of accceptance)

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 08 May 2013 10:46 pm

yk2366 wrote: Right, I definitely was puzzled by the 24 hour deadilne, but the preferred start date was this coming Monday. So I just assumed they needed someone urgently. Not sure if this is a common practice though as I was usually given 2 weeks time in my previous jobs- but this was in America. Not sure if it's a common practice in Singapore.

I hold a master's degree in a similar profession from an ivy league. I don't know whether it makes a difference in the pay but I just assumed because it's a "local" package and not a transfer, and because I had heard how low people here make, I wasn't sure if it was unreasonable.

I will try to negotiate either way, and hopefully I can match close to what I had made at my prior jobs. I'm on a DP btw, so I hear it's easier to get the LOC- though I'm not sure if it would be approved that quickly to have me start in few days.

Btw- is there anyone who've started their job as soon as I am starting mine? (within three days of accceptance)
Sure there is. But remember, you cannot start working UNTIL YOU RECEIVE YOUR Employment Pass. Unless it specifically says in the IPA letter that you are able to work before issuance of the Employment Pass.

Actually, the LoC may well be the fastest way to start working. But what you said in your next to last paragraph kind of sends up the flags.

They know you are a captive audience, e.g., you want to work and you are already resident here as a DP. Therefore, they know they don't have to pay you market rates as your spouse is already on EP and if you were here on his salary only, then they know they don't need to pay any perks "if you want to work". If Intellectualsmuse happens to see this post, she will definitely pipe in, as once I explained the concept of the Letter of Consent and the fact that most employers don't even know about it, she found a job after almost 6 months of looking I believe. After she got the job she continued to look until she found something more suitable and eventually got on an EP.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

yk2366

Post by yk2366 » Wed, 08 May 2013 11:00 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
yk2366 wrote: Right, I definitely was puzzled by the 24 hour deadilne, but the preferred start date was this coming Monday. So I just assumed they needed someone urgently. Not sure if this is a common practice though as I was usually given 2 weeks time in my previous jobs- but this was in America. Not sure if it's a common practice in Singapore.

Sure there is. But remember, you cannot start working UNTIL YOU RECEIVE YOUR Employment Pass. Unless it specifically says in the IPA letter that you are able to work before issuance of the Employment Pass.

Actually, the LoC may well be the fastest way to start working. But what you said in your next to last paragraph kind of sends up the flags.

They know you are a captive audience, e.g., you want to work and you are already resident here as a DP. Therefore, they know they don't have to pay you market rates as your spouse is already on EP and if you were here on his salary only, then they know they don't need to pay any perks "if you want to work". If Intellectualsmuse happens to see this post, she will definitely pipe in, as once I explained the concept of the Letter of Consent and the fact that most employers don't even know about it, she found a job after almost 6 months of looking I believe. After she got the job she continued to look until she found something more suitable and eventually got on an EP.
Thanks for the reply, Sundaymorningstaple. I found useful info previously through your links down below, btw. thanks :)

Would you clarify your last paragraph? Are you stating that she found a job only after the workers realized how easy it was to get a DP through LOC, then she changed her job that offered an EP?
Sorry I'm not sure if I'm understanding you. Is it bad that I have a DP, because employees can take advantage of the fact that they don't have to lure me here? but mine's just an entry to two year experience type of a position..

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 08 May 2013 11:06 pm

yk2366 wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:

Thanks for the reply, Sundaymorningstaple. I found useful info previously through your links down below, btw. thanks :)

Would you clarify your last paragraph? Are you stating that she found a job only after the workers realized how easy it was to get a DP through LOC, then she changed her job that offered an EP?
Sorry I'm not sure if I'm understanding you. Is it bad that I have a DP, because employees can take advantage of the fact that they don't have to lure me here? but mine's just an entry to two year experience type of a position..
Once an employer finds out you are on a DP, regardless of whether being considered for a LoC or an EP/S pass, they realize that you do NOT require expat perks as that would already have been garnered by your spouse. Therefore, they will think local rates, full stop. Additionally, they may well understand how hard it is for trailing spouses to find employmnt, so will jolly well try to hire you at fire sale rates. caveat emptor.

Just depends on your own threshold, I suppose.

intellectualsmuse actually took the LoC position and worked it for a while until she found a job more in line with what she wanted both in duties and salary. Once she found that and managed to get an IPA, she resigned from the first employer.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers