Singapore Expats

I am ashamed being Singaporean

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 10 May 2013 5:57 pm

Life being cheap in Asia, yeah.

Playing loud music at 10.30pm? - All your neighbours will call condo security or the police.

Self-immolating to death on the lawn outside, they'll all stand and watch 'the show'.

Neighbourly relations are so much more different in Asia...!

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter

Post by morenangpinay » Mon, 13 May 2013 3:10 pm

i think what's even more distressing is when after pointing out the apathy, the commenters didn't see anything wrong with it and blamed the girl.

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Mon, 13 May 2013 3:22 pm

JR8 wrote: Playing loud music at 10.30pm? - All your neighbours will call condo security or the police.
Which is VERY good. If I could, I'd moved the allowed timing for loud music down to 9 pm... or lower - better all day long.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Mon, 13 May 2013 3:36 pm

Speaking of loud music, last night I jogged and I could hear really loud music (some techno dance music with heavy base) from a condo across the canal I was jogging through.

That was some really hard party going on around.
:o

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Mon, 13 May 2013 3:48 pm

How about hearing extremely loud music echoing around 500 m radius area from a car that is passing by - some time after midnight!!!
I wonder, what is there inside of this guy's head, and how long is his dick if he needs this lame music to be heard by a half of Singapore at night?
Try to call police for that!

nakatago

obligatory xkcd

Post by nakatago » Mon, 13 May 2013 3:58 pm

Drop by Sim Lim tower then...

...and how to actually pull it off: http://lifehacker.com/5852903/silence-n ... n-speakers

I think I posted this already...somewhere.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

movingtospore
Reporter
Reporter

Post by movingtospore » Mon, 13 May 2013 8:35 pm

JR8 wrote:
Akimbo wrote:Err....she (Mellisa) was never at CQ during the harrassment...she's chastising the people who commented in Facebook as I see it...
OIC, thanks for clarifying.

But still I am left with the impression of a foul-mouthed, self-publicising arm-chair evangelist.
I dunno. I think she's going to an extreme to make appoint. And I admire anybody who's so willing to go so very publicly against the grain in this place. If you read through her blog, she has a lot of insightful things to say underneath all the bluster.

You've been out of the west too long her language wouldn't even raise an eyebrow where I come from. :wink:

ariyo

Post by ariyo » Mon, 13 May 2013 9:51 pm

I like her fiesty attitude.

Somewhere somehow, a girl with a her group of friends gets molested by a foreigner in a foreigner dominated area and it is all my/ our fault.

Perhaps we should apprehend the criminal first before laying onto the whole Singaporean discrimination under the guise of feminism vs misogynism.

Everyone seems to have lost sight of the important issue here.

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Mon, 13 May 2013 10:21 pm

ariyo wrote:I like her fiesty attitude.

Somewhere somehow, a girl with a her group of friends gets molested by a foreigner in a foreigner dominated area and it is all my/ our fault.

Perhaps we should apprehend the criminal first before laying onto the whole Singaporean discrimination under the guise of feminism vs misogynism.

Everyone seems to have lost sight of the important issue here.
This thread is more abt comments of SGreans on that blog, not abt the blog itself.