Singapore Expats

Yet another applying for PR thread

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Wed, 01 Jan 2014 11:50 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:The demographics and the reality were not the same. Huge numbers of them took up PR and then went to Aus & Canada and tried to keep their PR here as a bolt hole. This inflated the demographic number here with people who were not here and created a false numerical shift because they tried to maintain a "bolthole" if their foray into 1st world countries collapsed or they didn't like it. Look at the numbers right here on this board over the 4.5 years you've been here. And what we get on the board is only the tip of the iceberg.
Almost all people who I know, who have taken PR and then decided to move have given up PR, to take the CPF back. Most of them think its a big risk to keep money in CPF, if they are not staying here and hence the 1st thing they do is to give up PR and take the money out.

Also, the majority of abusers are not those that go to Aus & Can. The majority are those that just took up PR for fun and then when they dont see it worth staying here, go back to India.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 02 Jan 2014 6:42 am

I think, if you will actually ask them, you would find that they didn't "give up" their PR, but instead just let the REP expire. Which mean they would be on the PR roles until they do. That's also why we get them on here wondering if later after their REPs have expired if they can come back in. :?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

iloverice
Regular
Regular

Post by iloverice » Thu, 02 Jan 2014 9:29 am

amarettoSour wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:That's very true, and I was typing it up but then recalled at least three different Chinese Indonesian friends that had Singapore PR (one even served NS) and have left to go back to Surabaya or Jakarta for better business opportunities. They only come back now for shopping and partying and use the PR to get through immigration faster. One has complained that some of their extended family have been losing their REPs.
Ahh fair enough, I've heard of some cases like that too although i don't personally know anyone who has personally gone back to stay for good (and personally can't fathom why anyone would, even for business - i really disliked living in Indonesia).

Hope they don't ruin it for other Indonesians and Chinese Indos who don't intend to abuse their PR...
They already ruin the chances for some of the Indo's, 2011 - 2013 I seen many rejection for Indo Chinese that applying PR, but still some can get the PR (with good financial background - good education background - local graduate).

And SMS, no worries, I agree that Indo female much more easy to get their workpass and PR. A real breeder needed. Some of them make a good obedient wife! I met one Indo lady few years ago in a short course, when I ask her to meet up with the other Indos, she was shock and scared and she said her husband won't like it (her husband is local) - she got her PR status from the husband. Talking about obedient in the milenium. :)

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Thu, 02 Jan 2014 10:17 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I think, if you will actually ask them, you would find that they didn't "give up" their PR, but instead just let the REP expire. Which mean they would be on the PR roles until they do. That's also why we get them on here wondering if later after their REPs have expired if they can come back in. :?
Like I said earlier, the ones I know, specifically cancelled the PR so that they can get the CPF out. I have personally spoken to them and asked them why they want to give up the PR and not just keep it, just in case they want to come back. Their answer "I dont want to risk my CPF money, if I am not here, who knows what new rules they bring, may be they make a rule that you cant withdraw CPF before the age of 60. Besides, if I want to come back to Singapore, I need a job and if I get a job, I get an EP"

Even now, inspite of all the workpass tightening, Singapore PR is not a big advantage to get a job(unless we are talking about a low class 2-3k job, which most Indians dont want to come back to, if they have already left Singapore once), compared to somebody without any status here and looking for an EP. Australia, Canada etc are different, in that employers dont even want to talk to you if you dont have a PR. Singapore is not there yet, it might get there though in the near future.

habeebhashim

Post by habeebhashim » Sat, 04 Jan 2014 11:59 pm

-HH-
Last edited by habeebhashim on Tue, 05 Jan 2016 3:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sun, 05 Jan 2014 10:19 am

Here's a question: What happens if you keep your PR, move away and let your REP expire, but own an HDB? Can you continue to own it indefinitely, as long as you have an agent to manage it or enter on an SVP?

Actually, once your current permission to sublet from MOM expires, aren't you screwed as they're no longer allowing PRs to sublet their unit for more than a year?

Wd40
Director
Director

Post by Wd40 » Sun, 05 Jan 2014 10:45 am

From what I know they give you 6 months to sell your HDB or HDB will take it and give you whatever valuation they come up with. From some previous threads, HDB valuation is actually not that bad.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sun, 05 Jan 2014 11:24 am

Wd40 wrote:From what I know they give you 6 months to sell your HDB or HDB will take it and give you whatever valuation they come up with. From some previous threads, HDB valuation is actually not that bad.
It's basically the current market price with no COV I would assume.

Orgnl13

Re: Yet another applying for PR thread

Post by Orgnl13 » Tue, 07 Jan 2014 7:27 pm

Don't worry. You wont get....better go back indue
amarettoSour wrote:You guys have been a good source of info and help from when i first came to Singapore in 2009, so I'm here again to ask for your advice. Without further ado, here are my stats. What do you think my chances are?

28, female, single
Race: Indonesian Chinese
Salary: 48,000+
Education: Bachelors of Science from a recognized university in the states
Years in Singapore: 3.5 years, and i honestly love it here!
Profession: Online Marketing and web development
I've had my EP renewed/ applied for new three times
Paid income tax pretty much every year since i've been here (2010 & 2011, will pay again for 2012 soon)

Don't worry...u wont get...go back indo
Also, does employer profile matter? I work for an MNC now but hired through a smaller agency. Should i wait until i get converted full-time to the MNC or just go ahead and apply now?

If i get rejected now, does it hurt my future chances?

Thanks again in advance for your advice!

Orgnl13

Post by Orgnl13 » Tue, 07 Jan 2014 7:29 pm

Why u come here ? For what?
[quote="sundaymorningstaple"]Well, look at what happened to the Indian diaspora here after their brethren continue to abuse the system here. They screw it up for those who really DO want to stay here.[/quote]

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 07 Jan 2014 8:12 pm

By Jove, I think we've got our first troll of 2014! Welcome Troll, we'll play along for a while until we tire of you. But watch out or anonymous might hack your website for you.......

SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 07 Jan 2014 8:29 pm

Orgnl13 wrote:Why u come here ? For what?
They need people here who speak and read English, since you obviously don't.

Original Poster was already approved for her PR. You'd know that if you could read.
Orgnl13 wrote: Don't worry. You wont get....better go back indue