Singapore Expats

Yet another applying for PR thread

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
amarettoSour
Regular
Regular

Post by amarettoSour » Tue, 31 Dec 2013 10:59 am

I count myself real lucky. another one of my friend who applied one month earlier than me hasn't heard back and she's been here for ~7 years...

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 31 Dec 2013 11:08 am

Wd40 wrote:Congratulations. I wonder why they took 5 months. I bet they just see photographs these days and the decision is made that instant.
First, Congrats to Amaretto. Don't take anything else I say as negative against you, it's more against current policies. I'm happy for you that you got PR if that is what you want.

I compare this to the thread from the American and his Eastern European wife , and son.

Income: Almost triple for them.

Profession/skills: Information Security researcher with patents (highly desired almost anywhere in the world, especially Singapore. Very needed here given recent embarrassment vis a vis Anonymous) vs Online Marketing and Web Development (Much more common)

Family unit: Family with NS cannon fodder vs Single Overseas Chinese Female (maybe they're banking on future fodder?)

Race: The dinger, Ang Mohs Vs Overseas Chinese.

To me it seems it's shifted strongly away from seeking specific skills towards seeking desirable genetic material.[/list]

amarettoSour
Regular
Regular

Post by amarettoSour » Tue, 31 Dec 2013 12:17 pm

no worries, none taken! i'm also surprised it only took me 5 months to get the PR approved (or that it's even approved to begin with!)

I think one thing you didn't mention is the likelihood that i will remain in Singapore for a long time, which is actually the plan for me considering my mom and the rest of my family lives in Indonesia.

The american and eastern european family are more likely to ditch Singapore if a better opportunity presents itself in another country. In my experience of living here for the past 4 years, no one stays here more than 3 years unless they've got family ties.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Tue, 31 Dec 2013 12:26 pm

I have already stayed for 4.5 years even though I have no ties here, other than my Singapore registered motorbike, lol.

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Tue, 31 Dec 2013 2:42 pm

Wd40 wrote:I have already stayed for 4.5 years even though I have no ties here, other than my Singapore registered motorbike, lol.
In the UK that would be enough, human rights and all that. Some guy managed to avoid deportation because he had a pet bird. :???: A motorbike is much further up the hierarchy ;-)

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 01 Jan 2014 8:48 am

amarettoSour wrote:no worries, none taken! i'm also surprised it only took me 5 months to get the PR approved (or that it's even approved to begin with!)

I think one thing you didn't mention is the likelihood that i will remain in Singapore for a long time, which is actually the plan for me considering my mom and the rest of my family lives in Indonesia.

The american and eastern european family are more likely to ditch Singapore if a better opportunity presents itself in another country. In my experience of living here for the past 4 years, no one stays here more than 3 years unless they've got family ties.
That's very true, and I was typing it up but then recalled at least three different Chinese Indonesian friends that had Singapore PR (one even served NS) and have left to go back to Surabaya or Jakarta for better business opportunities. They only come back now for shopping and partying and use the PR to get through immigration faster. One has complained that some of their extended family have been losing their REPs.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 01 Jan 2014 12:43 pm

Wd40 wrote:I have already stayed for 4.5 years even though I have no ties here, other than my Singapore registered motorbike, lol.
Yeah, but you are neither eastern European or American. That might have some bearing as well. ;-)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 01 Jan 2014 12:45 pm

ZZM, I think you will find that they also look into the assimilation factor to an extent. Young, educated, single, female? Just the kind of breedstock they are looking for. :cool:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 01 Jan 2014 12:47 pm

I'll probably get whacked by iloverice at our next gathering though, for that last remark! :lol:

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 01 Jan 2014 2:25 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:ZZM, I think you will find that they also look into the assimilation factor to an extent. Young, educated, single, female? Just the kind of breedstock they are looking for. :cool:
No, I agree. Using the American as an example, he may have had a better chance if had applied with all of the same stats except being single and no kid. They'll just assume he's a 'Yellow Fever' carrier. :P

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 01 Jan 2014 2:37 pm

Yeah, once inflicted with it, it's almost impossible to get rid of it. :cool:

amarettoSour
Regular
Regular

Post by amarettoSour » Wed, 01 Jan 2014 4:37 pm

zzm9980 wrote:That's very true, and I was typing it up but then recalled at least three different Chinese Indonesian friends that had Singapore PR (one even served NS) and have left to go back to Surabaya or Jakarta for better business opportunities. They only come back now for shopping and partying and use the PR to get through immigration faster. One has complained that some of their extended family have been losing their REPs.
Ahh fair enough, I've heard of some cases like that too although i don't personally know anyone who has personally gone back to stay for good (and personally can't fathom why anyone would, even for business - i really disliked living in Indonesia).

Hope they don't ruin it for other Indonesians and Chinese Indos who don't intend to abuse their PR...

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 01 Jan 2014 7:07 pm

Well, look at what happened to the Indian diaspora here after their brethren continue to abuse the system here. They screw it up for those who really DO want to stay here.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Wed, 01 Jan 2014 10:22 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Well, look at what happened to the Indian diaspora here after their brethren continue to abuse the system here. They screw it up for those who really DO want to stay here.
Its hard to say that, that is the cause why Indians are getting rejected. The biggest reason is probably the demographic percentages that they want to maintain and in the last decade, it got skewed a bit with lots of Indians getting PR.

If enough Indians had not abused the system(by cancelling PR and leaving after taking the benefits), there would have been even more Indian PRs amongst our midst now and skewing the demographics even further.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 01 Jan 2014 11:33 pm

The demographics and the reality were not the same. Huge numbers of them took up PR and then went to Aus & Canada and tried to keep their PR here as a bolt hole. This inflated the demographic number here with people who were not here and created a false numerical shift because they tried to maintain a "bolthole" if their foray into 1st world countries collapsed or they didn't like it. Look at the numbers right here on this board over the 4.5 years you've been here. And what we get on the board is only the tip of the iceberg.