Singapore Expats

diplomatic clause + 1year work contract only

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
alekk

diplomatic clause + 1year work contract only

Post by alekk » Mon, 06 May 2013 7:06 pm

Hi all,

I am seeking advice regarding what is called the "diplomatic clause". My work contract in Singapore is only 12 month long (and my Employment Pass as well) -- I am planning to stay longer in Singapore though. Can I rent a flat with the "diplomatic clause" if my current work contract+employment pass are only for 12 months. Since my work contract is going to finish in a year for sure, does it mean that I will be able to stop renting my place if I wishes to? I do not want the landlord to say that I knew already that I would be leaving the flat after a year only.

Cheers, A.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 06 May 2013 7:47 pm

The only way you can exercise a dip clause is with a letter from your employer explaining that your contract is being canceled and you will be leaving the country or are being transferred by the company to another location.

It's no wonder local landlords try to shaft tenants, it would see a lot of tenants rent under false pretenses to try to shaft the landlords.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Re: diplomatic clause + 1year work contract only

Post by the lynx » Mon, 06 May 2013 10:00 pm

alekk wrote:Hi all,

I am seeking advice regarding what is called the "diplomatic clause". My work contract in Singapore is only 12 month long (and my Employment Pass as well) -- I am planning to stay longer in Singapore though. Can I rent a flat with the "diplomatic clause" if my current work contract+employment pass are only for 12 months. Since my work contract is going to finish in a year for sure, does it mean that I will be able to stop renting my place if I wishes to? I do not want the landlord to say that I knew already that I would be leaving the flat after a year only.

Cheers, A.
Why don't you just look for a one-year lease? If you need to stay longer, just extend it then.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 06 May 2013 10:31 pm

Lynx, that one is easy. Probably got a reduced rate for the longer lease so figured, nevermind, I just shaft the landlord and save a bit of money in the process.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 06 May 2013 10:42 pm

The landlord is going to want to see and photocopy your passport and visa, to prove you have a right to rent a property in Singapore.

So your ruse is not going to work.

alekk

Post by alekk » Tue, 07 May 2013 12:37 am

@lynx: because there is much more choice with a 2 years rent contract.

Actually, I do want to stay in Singapore more than a year, but my contract is only one year. Can I enter a 2 years rent contract legally?

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 07 May 2013 8:44 am

alekk wrote:@lynx: because there is much more choice with a 2 years rent contract.

Actually, I do want to stay in Singapore more than a year, but my contract is only one year. Can I enter a 2 years rent contract legally?
If you're renting an HDB, it will be 18 months max now. How long is your Employment Pass valid for? If it is valid for longer than one year, then yes you can rent. But if you don't find a job and lose your pass you'll still be liable for whatever your tenancy agreement says.

alekk

Post by alekk » Wed, 08 May 2013 11:03 am

Thanks for the reply. Does it mean that I would still be legally liable for the agreed period, even with the diplomatic clause on the contract?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 08 May 2013 1:50 pm

Unless you have said letter explaining your transfer from your employer, then yes you will be legally liable for the full amount of the contract. Go back and read my first reply.

janiceliu88

Post by janiceliu88 » Tue, 14 May 2013 12:22 am

Alekk, I don't know if you're using a HDB contract, but mine provided that if you do break the lease after one year, you lose one month of the two month deposit, and if you break it a few months early the amount you lose is pro-rated. If you have a similar term then you can enter into any contract you like, but if you break it then you'll lose $x. If you're okay with that, then yeah, go ahead (provided you have that term, obviously)