Singapore Expats Forum

Culture Shock - Arriving in singapore

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:
Image
The Club Residences

bgd
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1392
Joined: Wed, 25 Jul 2007

Postby bgd » Fri, 31 May 2013 12:35 pm

Hannieroo wrote:I always try to respect the speed limit, it's there for a reason even if not apparent. And I don't want anything to make my dick bigger, it's hard enough to hide it now.


You have a dick? :o Fadhli is in for a surprise.

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5272
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Postby the lynx » Fri, 31 May 2013 12:37 pm

bgd wrote:
Hannieroo wrote:I always try to respect the speed limit, it's there for a reason even if not apparent. And I don't want anything to make my dick bigger, it's hard enough to hide it now.


You have a dick? :o Fadhli is in for a surprise.


:lol: :lol: :lol:

Friday is here indeed!

User avatar
ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1665
Joined: Wed, 29 Nov 2006
Location: A More Lucky Spot

Postby ScoobyDoes » Fri, 31 May 2013 12:39 pm

Hannieroo wrote:I always try to respect the speed limit, it's there for a reason even if not apparent.



That's the passive non-thinkers answer.

Most laws exist to separate a population from its hard earned income, many under a guise of safety. Unfortunately this has been an ever increasing circle as more laws dumb down the population further whereby even more laws are required to compensate for increased stupidity and decreased common sense.
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'

SIR Stirling Moss OBE

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 996
Joined: Tue, 22 Jan 2013

Postby Hannieroo » Fri, 31 May 2013 1:12 pm

Is it hell.

A lot of laws exist for a reason. Your speed affects your stopping distance. I am a good driver but nearly my entire driving career has been spent either overseas where the standard of driving is a lot poorer or in difficult conditions such as the Buchan hills. I keep to the speed limit because that tells me I have enough time to stop if I hit unforeseen circumstances such as some idiot puling out with a car of unrestrained children. To drive any other way is irresponsible, stupid and selfish. I don't want to kill children because I think I know better, know I can handle it and am relying on the person in front being as experienced.

I'm hoping the dick will distract from the fact I am old enough to be his mother. A Han with a plan.

User avatar
ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1665
Joined: Wed, 29 Nov 2006
Location: A More Lucky Spot

Postby ScoobyDoes » Fri, 31 May 2013 3:50 pm

Hannieroo wrote:Your speed affects your stopping distance.



Correct but stopping distances are probably half now than what they were when the limits were even introduced so the limit, by its own nature is out of date. There are however, in most places, more cars and transport on the roads than those days but then it is the volume of traffic that would determine an average speed.


I am a good driver....


Not saying you're not, but everybody and their dog says exactly the same.


I keep to the speed limit because that tells me I have enough time to stop if I hit unforeseen circumstances such as some idiot puling out with a car.....


It is not the speed limit that determines whether or not you have time to stop, it is driving at a speed suitable for current conditions, location and environment.
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'



SIR Stirling Moss OBE

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 996
Joined: Tue, 22 Jan 2013

Postby Hannieroo » Fri, 31 May 2013 7:36 pm

I have several licences from several countries in addition to an advanced driver in the UK and many defensive courses. I know I'm good.

The only people who complain about police, speed limits and the fines (go and catch a real criminal) are people who screw up and get the points and the fines. I'm married to one. But, hey. Can't argue with somebody who feels by breaking the law they are thinking out of the box and hang the consequences. Nothing feels as good as a conviction for reckless driving.

User avatar
ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1665
Joined: Wed, 29 Nov 2006
Location: A More Lucky Spot

Postby ScoobyDoes » Fri, 31 May 2013 9:02 pm

'Reckless' and speeding or driving quickly are different things but I want to be fair, so let's say you show me how many trophies you have on your shelf and I'll show you how many I have.

And no, I'm not complaining about being stopped or points on my licence, because I've never had a point, not one. Yes, I get pulled over in Malaysia more often than I care to count but it's never dangerous or reckless and is solely appropriate for what I can see and what conditions are.

All I said was, there's a time and a place for everything but in the end common sense has to be prevail. I just have a problem with out of date laws, limits, and people who don't question their relevance under current or modern conditions, simply accepting what is in place 'because it must be for a good reason.'
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'



SIR Stirling Moss OBE

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 996
Joined: Tue, 22 Jan 2013

Postby Hannieroo » Fri, 31 May 2013 9:21 pm

The speed limit is there to limit the idiots. I know what I am doing (and I'm assuming you don't want me to show you my licences because that is not happening) but others might not. The inexperienced, the over confident and just plain stupid are also limited. As you say, everyone says they are a good driver. So who are you to decide the law does not apply to you because you judge yourself good enough and think laws are for chumps? I hate to say it but it's coming across arrogant which I am sure is not your intention.

It sounds much like saying you can drive okay after two pints. You might be able to but I can't. Who should the law protect there?

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Fri, 31 May 2013 9:35 pm

Help...


My (intended as ) insightful and useful topic, has been taken over by the Angry Mob! :???:

User avatar
Brah
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1962
Joined: Sat, 18 Dec 2010

Postby Brah » Fri, 31 May 2013 10:14 pm

Reminds me of the story of the local taxi driver who defended his tailgating on the highway as being safer than maintaining a safe distance, the twisted logic being that a closer impact would be lesser than one from a distance.

These are the people who drive us.....

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9318
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Sat, 01 Jun 2013 12:13 am

Unfortunately speed limits are not for idiots as idiots are by nature with no imposable limits. Besides, I am pretty sure, the speed limits in Singapore are artificially kept at lower levels as the modus operandi of TP is to intervene only if you go 10 or more above the limit. This, plus what is in every single motorized vehicle - speedometers showing too high values of the speed (2-3 km/h). So where is the safe speed now?

User avatar
Aragorn2000
Regular
Regular
Posts: 126
Joined: Sun, 30 Dec 2012

Postby Aragorn2000 » Sat, 01 Jun 2013 10:19 am

I don't really get it when ppl complain about speed limits in Spore.

What's the difference between a 90 km/h and 120 km/h limit in Spore?

The slower you drive, the higher chance you would live in an accident. Period.

User avatar
ScoobyDoes
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1665
Joined: Wed, 29 Nov 2006
Location: A More Lucky Spot

Postby ScoobyDoes » Sat, 01 Jun 2013 11:23 am

JR8 wrote:Help...


My (intended as ) insightful and useful topic, has been taken over by the Angry Mob! :???:



You made it to ten pages, count yourself lucky already.
'When Lewis Hamilton wins a race he has to thank Vodafone whereas in my day I used to chase the crumpet. I know which era I'd rather race in.'



SIR Stirling Moss OBE

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6842
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Sat, 01 Jun 2013 12:58 pm

Aragorn2000 wrote:I don't really get it when ppl complain about speed limits in Singapore.

What's the difference between a 90 km/h and 120 km/h limit in Singapore?

The slower you drive, the higher chance you would live in an accident. Period.


Well then we should all go 50, or 30, or even less. If we go backwards fast enough, will we heal people? Cure cancer?

Where do you set the arbitrary point between efficiency and safety?

User avatar
Aragorn2000
Regular
Regular
Posts: 126
Joined: Sun, 30 Dec 2012

Postby Aragorn2000 » Sun, 02 Jun 2013 9:08 am

zzm9980 wrote:
Aragorn2000 wrote:I don't really get it when ppl complain about speed limits in Singapore.

What's the difference between a 90 km/h and 120 km/h limit in Singapore?

The slower you drive, the higher chance you would live in an accident. Period.


Well then we should all go 50, or 30, or even less. If we go backwards fast enough, will we heal people? Cure cancer?

Where do you set the arbitrary point between efficiency and safety?


That's "Slippery slope fallacy".

Most speed limits in Singapore come from well known transportation researches and are the same with all other civilized countries. Australia has much longer highways but their limit is only 110 and it is strictly enforced.

A 90 speed limit is more than enough for efficiency in Singapore. How much more time would you save if you were allowed to go at 120 in this tiny island?

Do you really believe these limits are there for some reasons other than safety?

It's a different story in uncivilized countries tho. I know there are some intercity highways that have 90 for a 5 km stretch, then down to 40 for another 10km, then jumps back to 90 for 10km, etc. The purpose is purely for the TPs to extort money.

Oh there is also a hard upper bound in speed limit in Singapore. That is 160km/h. The ERP gantries can't register a vehicle beyond that speed :p


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post
  • Culture Shock! Attachment(s)
    by Pal » Wed, 31 Aug 2016 7:11 pm » in Articles
    1
    1921
    by sundaymorningstaple View the latest post
    Sun, 04 Sep 2016 11:33 pm
  • Culture Shock Attachment(s)
    by Pal » Fri, 13 Jan 2017 11:34 am » in Articles
    0
    2025
    by Pal View the latest post
    Fri, 13 Jan 2017 11:34 am
  • Visible shock wave from volcano eruption (vid)
    by JR8 » Tue, 09 Sep 2014 9:30 am » in Leisure Chat, Jokes, Rubbish
    1
    902
    by ecureilx View the latest post
    Wed, 10 Sep 2014 6:44 pm
  • Turning cultural shock to cultural expectation Attachment(s)
    by Pal » Wed, 27 Apr 2016 5:51 pm » in Articles
    0
    1715
    by Pal View the latest post
    Wed, 27 Apr 2016 5:51 pm
  • Duty free, arriving into SG, from Malaysia
    by JR8 » Fri, 08 Nov 2013 2:50 pm » in Staying, Living in Singapore
    12
    19653
    by x9200 View the latest post
    Sat, 09 Nov 2013 6:31 am

Return to “Relocating, Moving to Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests