Singapore Expats Forum

Culture Shock - Arriving in singapore

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:
Image
The Club Residences

bgd
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1395
Joined: Wed, 25 Jul 2007

Postby bgd » Mon, 27 May 2013 1:11 pm

That's the pilot I was referring to. Never heard anymore but they must have been happy with the results. Wonder if they will roll it out to the rest of Singapore?

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35179
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 27 May 2013 1:25 pm

They are rolling out park connectors throughout the island, also, both Pasir Ris and Tampines are/have rolled out some dedicated cycle lanes as well in trials in the past two or three years.

http://app.lta.gov.sg/apps/news/page.as ... vhp5485zw8

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6842
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Mon, 27 May 2013 5:43 pm

Legal or not, Id rather piss off JR8 by riding on the sidewalk than get run down by a blur driver in a BMW.

And yes, I am the Ang Mo with the high end mountain bike and auntie bell, furiously ringing it. But I'll go around on the grass.

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 996
Joined: Tue, 22 Jan 2013

Postby Hannieroo » Mon, 27 May 2013 6:29 pm

I don't blame people for riding on the path. But some people do forget that pedestrians are on there too.

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9320
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Mon, 27 May 2013 6:53 pm

If you are where you should not be, you don't act like you own the place trying to chase people away from your path. It is just rude. I ride on the pavement occasionally but never ring at people but wait patiently till I get noticed or take a detour through the grass.

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6842
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Mon, 27 May 2013 7:23 pm

x9200 wrote:If you are where you should not be, you don't act like you own the place trying to chase people away from your path. It is just rude. I ride on the pavement occasionally but never ring at people but wait patiently till I get noticed or take a detour through the grass.


I won't run anyone down and force a pedestrian to detour, but I will ring my bell as I ride past them as pedestrians in Singapore have a tendency to meander about varying their position quite erratically. I'm not going to tolerate a blur idiot swaying like a drunk while his eyes are glued to his 7" phablet playing Candy Crush suddenly just because I'm on a bicycle. If I was walking, I'd bump into him. On the bike, I'll just get close enough to startle him and let him think I would have.

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 3936
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012
Location: SIndiapore

Postby Wd40 » Mon, 27 May 2013 7:41 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:They are rolling out park connectors throughout the island, also, both Pasir Ris and Tampines are/have rolled out some dedicated cycle lanes as well in trials in the past two or three years.

http://app.lta.gov.sg/apps/news/page.as ... vhp5485zw8


I live in Tampines right next to the place where the truck driver killed 2 students on a bicycle. Just 2 months after the incident and now there is a dedicated track already for bicycles next to my house.

I wonder, was it the accident that triggered it or was it always in the plans.

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Mon, 27 May 2013 8:06 pm

Wd40 wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:They are rolling out park connectors throughout the island, also, both Pasir Ris and Tampines are/have rolled out some dedicated cycle lanes as well in trials in the past two or three years.

http://app.lta.gov.sg/apps/news/page.as ... vhp5485zw8


I live in Tampines right next to the place where the truck driver killed 2 students on a bicycle. Just 2 months after the incident and now there is a dedicated track already for bicycles next to my house.

I wonder, was it the accident that triggered it or was it always in the plans.


A little bit of both, probably. The accident probably triggered the fast track of the lanes. Cycling enthusiasts in Singapore have long been advocating such lanes.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Mon, 27 May 2013 8:19 pm

zzm9980 wrote:Legal or not, Id rather piss off JR8 by riding on the sidewalk



Legal or not I might accidentally stagger and stick my walking stick right through your wheel spokes: 'Oh sorry you went flying over the handle-bars and landed on the pavement, it's not my fault I'm disabled' you know! :wink:

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6842
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Mon, 27 May 2013 9:23 pm

JR8 wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:Legal or not, Id rather piss off JR8 by riding on the sidewalk



Legal or not I might accidentally stagger and stick my walking stick right through your wheel spokes: 'Oh sorry you went flying over the handle-bars and landed on the pavement, it's not my fault I'm disabled' you know! :wink:


Be careful buddy, I might have to say you were trying to rape or rob me with said walking stick:

http://singaporelegaladvice.com/what-ca ... singapore/

In extreme cases, a person can kill an attacker in private defence, but only under the following circumstances. Sections 100 and 103 of the Penal Code states that private defence can extend to voluntarily causing death if:

You are assaulted with reasonable apprehension of death or grievous hurt.
You are assaulted with rape or kidnapping.
You are being robbed.
Your house is broken into at night.
You are under the threat of mischief by fire.

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 996
Joined: Tue, 22 Jan 2013

Postby Hannieroo » Mon, 27 May 2013 9:33 pm

You boys are all very twitchy at the moment. Hormones?

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35179
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 27 May 2013 11:24 pm

Hormones?

You only need a brick to hit her in the head with to accomplish that.

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9320
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Tue, 28 May 2013 8:58 am

zzm9980 wrote:
JR8 wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:Legal or not, Id rather piss off JR8 by riding on the sidewalk



Legal or not I might accidentally stagger and stick my walking stick right through your wheel spokes: 'Oh sorry you went flying over the handle-bars and landed on the pavement, it's not my fault I'm disabled' you know! :wink:


Be careful buddy, I might have to say you were trying to rape or rob me with said walking stick:
[/quote]
Sooner you will be accused of a theft of JR8's walking stick. You already committed something illegal prior to your attempt to run over him so your credibility is rather low.

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6842
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Tue, 28 May 2013 10:31 am

Hannieroo wrote:You boys are all very twitchy at the moment. Hormones?


Just messing around. We're westerners, we have senses of humor like that. Unlike certain locals, who would take this entire conversation at face value. And are likely posting it on TRE as I type to try and make some obtuse retarded point.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35179
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 28 May 2013 11:07 am

^^^

Innit the troof!


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post
  • Culture Shock! Attachment(s)
    by Pal » Wed, 31 Aug 2016 7:11 pm » in Articles
    1
    1921
    by sundaymorningstaple View the latest post
    Sun, 04 Sep 2016 11:33 pm
  • Culture Shock Attachment(s)
    by Pal » Fri, 13 Jan 2017 11:34 am » in Articles
    0
    2026
    by Pal View the latest post
    Fri, 13 Jan 2017 11:34 am
  • Visible shock wave from volcano eruption (vid)
    by JR8 » Tue, 09 Sep 2014 9:30 am » in Leisure Chat, Jokes, Rubbish
    1
    903
    by ecureilx View the latest post
    Wed, 10 Sep 2014 6:44 pm
  • Turning cultural shock to cultural expectation Attachment(s)
    by Pal » Wed, 27 Apr 2016 5:51 pm » in Articles
    0
    1715
    by Pal View the latest post
    Wed, 27 Apr 2016 5:51 pm
  • Duty free, arriving into SG, from Malaysia
    by JR8 » Fri, 08 Nov 2013 2:50 pm » in Staying, Living in Singapore
    12
    19742
    by x9200 View the latest post
    Sat, 09 Nov 2013 6:31 am

Return to “Relocating, Moving to Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests