Singapore Expats

Culture Shock - Arriving in singapore

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Mon, 27 May 2013 1:11 pm

That's the pilot I was referring to. Never heard anymore but they must have been happy with the results. Wonder if they will roll it out to the rest of Singapore?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 27 May 2013 1:25 pm

They are rolling out park connectors throughout the island, also, both Pasir Ris and Tampines are/have rolled out some dedicated cycle lanes as well in trials in the past two or three years.

http://app.lta.gov.sg/apps/news/page.as ... vhp5485zw8
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 27 May 2013 5:43 pm

Legal or not, Id rather piss off JR8 by riding on the sidewalk than get run down by a blur driver in a BMW.

And yes, I am the Ang Mo with the high end mountain bike and auntie bell, furiously ringing it. But I'll go around on the grass.

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Mon, 27 May 2013 6:29 pm

I don't blame people for riding on the path. But some people do forget that pedestrians are on there too.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Mon, 27 May 2013 6:53 pm

If you are where you should not be, you don't act like you own the place trying to chase people away from your path. It is just rude. I ride on the pavement occasionally but never ring at people but wait patiently till I get noticed or take a detour through the grass.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 27 May 2013 7:23 pm

x9200 wrote:If you are where you should not be, you don't act like you own the place trying to chase people away from your path. It is just rude. I ride on the pavement occasionally but never ring at people but wait patiently till I get noticed or take a detour through the grass.
I won't run anyone down and force a pedestrian to detour, but I will ring my bell as I ride past them as pedestrians in Singapore have a tendency to meander about varying their position quite erratically. I'm not going to tolerate a blur idiot swaying like a drunk while his eyes are glued to his 7" phablet playing Candy Crush suddenly just because I'm on a bicycle. If I was walking, I'd bump into him. On the bike, I'll just get close enough to startle him and let him think I would have.

Wd40
Director
Director
Answers: 1

Post by Wd40 » Mon, 27 May 2013 7:41 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:They are rolling out park connectors throughout the island, also, both Pasir Ris and Tampines are/have rolled out some dedicated cycle lanes as well in trials in the past two or three years.

I live in Tampines right next to the place where the truck driver killed 2 students on a bicycle. Just 2 months after the incident and now there is a dedicated track already for bicycles next to my house.

I wonder, was it the accident that triggered it or was it always in the plans.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Mon, 27 May 2013 8:06 pm

Wd40 wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:They are rolling out park connectors throughout the island, also, both Pasir Ris and Tampines are/have rolled out some dedicated cycle lanes as well in trials in the past two or three years.

I live in Tampines right next to the place where the truck driver killed 2 students on a bicycle. Just 2 months after the incident and now there is a dedicated track already for bicycles next to my house.

I wonder, was it the accident that triggered it or was it always in the plans.
A little bit of both, probably. The accident probably triggered the fast track of the lanes. Cycling enthusiasts in Singapore have long been advocating such lanes.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Mon, 27 May 2013 8:19 pm

zzm9980 wrote:Legal or not, Id rather piss off JR8 by riding on the sidewalk

Legal or not I might accidentally stagger and stick my walking stick right through your wheel spokes: 'Oh sorry you went flying over the handle-bars and landed on the pavement, it's not my fault I'm disabled' you know! :wink:

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 27 May 2013 9:23 pm

JR8 wrote:

Legal or not I might accidentally stagger and stick my walking stick right through your wheel spokes: 'Oh sorry you went flying over the handle-bars and landed on the pavement, it's not my fault I'm disabled' you know! :wink:
Be careful buddy, I might have to say you were trying to rape or rob me with said walking stick:

http://singaporelegaladvice.com/what-ca ... singapore/
In extreme cases, a person can kill an attacker in private defence, but only under the following circumstances. Sections 100 and 103 of the Penal Code states that private defence can extend to voluntarily causing death if:

You are assaulted with reasonable apprehension of death or grievous hurt.
You are assaulted with rape or kidnapping.
You are being robbed.
Your house is broken into at night.
You are under the threat of mischief by fire.

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Mon, 27 May 2013 9:33 pm

You boys are all very twitchy at the moment. Hormones?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 27 May 2013 11:24 pm

Hormones?

You only need a brick to hit her in the head with to accomplish that.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

x9200

Post by x9200 » Tue, 28 May 2013 8:58 am

zzm9980 wrote:
JR8 wrote:

Be careful buddy, I might have to say you were trying to rape or rob me with said walking stick:
[/quote]
Sooner you will be accused of a theft of JR8's walking stick. You already committed something illegal prior to your attempt to run over him so your credibility is rather low.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Tue, 28 May 2013 10:31 am

Hannieroo wrote:You boys are all very twitchy at the moment. Hormones?
Just messing around. We're westerners, we have senses of humor like that. Unlike certain locals, who would take this entire conversation at face value. And are likely posting it on TRE as I type to try and make some obtuse retarded point.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 28 May 2013 11:07 am

^^^

Innit the troof!