Singapore Expats Forum

Dismissal because of prank

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

blaanimal
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun, 05 May 2013

Dismissal because of prank

Postby blaanimal » Sun, 05 May 2013 5:46 pm

I prank my boss by creating his facebook account and add his friend, but I don't post anything inappropriate. That was my first prank, other prank is I fill IMH contact form and fill in my boss email and phone and telling IMH that "I am crazy" (on behalf of my boss), I did that because I was frustated by my boss as he is always whining like a kid for not getting what he want instead of leading properly.

Right after that, my boss confront me because he suspect me doing that and I admit it because I dont want him to seek legal options. And he contact HR and HR terminate me and my job agency also terminate me and even write a letter to MoM (the content is saying I am doing impersonation).

I am applying for another job and will MoM reject my application because that I have been dismissed before? Especially my agency write a letter to MoM saying that I am doing impersonation? I don't know whether MoM will think it as big issue and reject my application or not, I plan to clarify that I only doing prank not doing impersonation things like cheating money or whatever big problems.

1. Will MoM reject my application based on my dismissal previously and after my agency write a letter to them?
2. Can I clarify to MoM about what I am impersonating so that they can judge it better instead of thinking it as big business problems?

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Re: Dismissal because of prank

Postby JR8 » Sun, 05 May 2013 6:03 pm

blaanimal wrote: he is always whining like a kid


Better than you, who is apparently always acting like one too.

You appear to have an attitude problem: And it will be the bane of your life for as long as you do not accept that fact, and do something about it.

That's my 2c

blaanimal
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun, 05 May 2013

Re: Dismissal because of prank

Postby blaanimal » Sun, 05 May 2013 6:12 pm

JR8 wrote:
blaanimal wrote: he is always whining like a kid


Better than you, who is apparently always acting like one too.

You appear to have an attitude problem: And it will be the bane of your life for as long as you do not accept that fact, and do something about it.

That's my 2c

of course I am accepting it and change myself for not talking any unimportant things to lead to my boss acting like that. Sometimes I think might be because of me talking something or my thought of something or gesture or smiley face that made boss thinks I am not serious at work.

FYI, I have been working very hard writing software and think a lot of possibility of error in software and resulted in several pieces of software products that is currently being used by the company (and FYI, two of the softwares I wrote by myself and one other with only one other team member). And yet they terminate me from small matters but I accept it really, and I think it might be a good time for me to change my work attitude.

My boss always like people who can introduce software/products, but behind the boss those people rarely work and browse all day and pushing the job to other team member. But in front of boss they act like doing a lot. I really think that instead of working hard, it is better to work smart.

Work smart means that you don't have to deliver anything, just ensure your attitude and your boss is happy with you, you can just push the product development to others to deal with it. Nod your head low in front of boss, smile to him, and say yes on whatever he says even it is wrong. I am changing my way to that instead of always fighting for delivering something which company does not need.

I dont mean to be sarcastic but I think that it is wise to be like that, because it is not my company after all, and company value my boss which means that I should make him happy and walk on his leading style instead of defying him to push for my own idealism.

In the past, I question my boss why there is no standard library in the company and my boss is unhappy with me because he feel embarrassed by me in front of many other staffs. From there on, I always have work problems people introduce to me, my soft skill is worse and probably not OK which I need to learn. And that's why I want your opinion and help for me to stay at work in Singapore and your opinion or advice might help me land a work in Singapore again and getting MoM approval.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35179
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 05 May 2013 6:23 pm

blaanmal, rather than berate you publicly I'll just leave it as it with this. Had it been me, you would have been escorted to the door with your things in a box before you left the office that same day. :-|

scarbowl
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 381
Joined: Mon, 19 Oct 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby scarbowl » Sun, 05 May 2013 6:25 pm

What you did, and call a "prank", is pretty serious. Some would term it as Identity Theft. I do hope you've learned something from this. Keep your head down, do your work, and don't resent what others get or do.

blaanimal
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun, 05 May 2013

Postby blaanimal » Sun, 05 May 2013 6:25 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:blaanmal, rather than berate you publicly I'll just leave it as it with this. Had it been me, you would have been escorted to the door with your things in a box before you left the office that same day. :-|


scarbowl wrote:What you did, and call a "prank", is pretty serious. Some would term it as Identity Theft. I do hope you've learned something from this. Keep your head down, do your work, and don't resent what others get or do.


OK I am wrong, yes I am wrong, I admit it.
What should I do next? How do I repair my mistakes?
I feel very terrible, after you guys response, I really understand that what I did is a serious mistake. What shall I do now? I need to continue working to help my family, how do I repair my mistakes?

User avatar
Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1791
Joined: Sat, 19 Jun 2004
Location: Kinto Pino

Postby Mi Amigo » Sun, 05 May 2013 8:26 pm

blaanimal wrote:OK I am wrong, yes I am wrong, I admit it.
What should I do next? How do I repair my mistakes?
I feel very terrible, after you guys response, I really understand that what I did is a serious mistake. What shall I do now? I need to continue working to help my family, how do I repair my mistakes?

I think your options are quite limited at this point, given that you have already been dismissed from your employment. And TBH, the fact that you describe this incident as 'small matters' suggests that maybe you still don't really understand the seriousness of what you did.

All you can do is apply for other jobs, and be absolutely truthful about what happened at the end of your previous employment when asked (which you will be). In all honesty, I don't rate your chances of securing another job and a new Employment Pass very highly, so if I were you I would also start working on a plan B. Sorry if this comes across as harsh; I'm just trying to be realistic - sometimes lessons have to be learned the hard way.

Just pasting the earlier posts below for future reference... ;-)

blaanimal wrote:I prank my boss by creating his facebook account and add his friend, but I don't post anything inappropriate. That was my first prank, other prank is I fill IMH contact form and fill in my boss email and phone and telling IMH that "I am crazy" (on behalf of my boss), I did that because I was frustated by my boss as he is always whining like a kid for not getting what he want instead of leading properly.

Right after that, my boss confront me because he suspect me doing that and I admit it because I dont want him to seek legal options. And he contact HR and HR terminate me and my job agency also terminate me and even write a letter to MoM (the content is saying I am doing impersonation).

I am applying for another job and will MoM reject my application because that I have been dismissed before? Especially my agency write a letter to MoM saying that I am doing impersonation? I don't know whether MoM will think it as big issue and reject my application or not, I plan to clarify that I only doing prank not doing impersonation things like cheating money or whatever big problems.

1. Will MoM reject my application based on my dismissal previously and after my agency write a letter to them?
2. Can I clarify to MoM about what I am impersonating so that they can judge it better instead of thinking it as big business problems?


blaanimal wrote:
JR8 wrote:
blaanimal wrote: he is always whining like a kid


Better than you, who is apparently always acting like one too.

You appear to have an attitude problem: And it will be the bane of your life for as long as you do not accept that fact, and do something about it.

That's my 2c

of course I am accepting it and change myself for not talking any unimportant things to lead to my boss acting like that. Sometimes I think might be because of me talking something or my thought of something or gesture or smiley face that made boss thinks I am not serious at work.

FYI, I have been working very hard writing software and think a lot of possibility of error in software and resulted in several pieces of software products that is currently being used by the company (and FYI, two of the softwares I wrote by myself and one other with only one other team member). And yet they terminate me from small matters but I accept it really, and I think it might be a good time for me to change my work attitude.

My boss always like people who can introduce software/products, but behind the boss those people rarely work and browse all day and pushing the job to other team member. But in front of boss they act like doing a lot. I really think that instead of working hard, it is better to work smart.

Work smart means that you don't have to deliver anything, just ensure your attitude and your boss is happy with you, you can just push the product development to others to deal with it. Nod your head low in front of boss, smile to him, and say yes on whatever he says even it is wrong. I am changing my way to that instead of always fighting for delivering something which company does not need.

I dont mean to be sarcastic but I think that it is wise to be like that, because it is not my company after all, and company value my boss which means that I should make him happy and walk on his leading style instead of defying him to push for my own idealism.

In the past, I question my boss why there is no standard library in the company and my boss is unhappy with me because he feel embarrassed by me in front of many other staffs. From there on, I always have work problems people introduce to me, my soft skill is worse and probably not OK which I need to learn. And that's why I want your opinion and help for me to stay at work in Singapore and your opinion or advice might help me land a work in Singapore again and getting MoM approval.
Be careful what you wish for

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6842
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Sun, 05 May 2013 10:35 pm

What you did with Facebook would be a criminal offense in the US.

What country are you from? I'd suggest looking there for a job, or somewhere that isn't Singapore.

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 609
Joined: Wed, 17 Apr 2013

Re: Dismissal because of prank

Postby AngMoG » Mon, 06 May 2013 10:14 am

blaanimal wrote:1. Will MoM reject my application based on my dismissal previously and after my agency write a letter to them?
2. Can I clarify to MoM about what I am impersonating so that they can judge it better instead of thinking it as big business problems?

I think it is likely that future applications will be rejected by MoM, given the general situation in Singapore. Nothing you can say at this point will make the situation much better, and the only thing you can do is to apologize.

What you did was incredibly stupid, and you were right to be dismissed without notice. Let this be a lesson for you in the future. I strongly suggest that you look for work outside Singapore at this point, preferably in your home country. Leaving Singapore at this point will probably be your only open course of action.

User avatar
Sergei82
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1455
Joined: Mon, 02 Nov 2009

Postby Sergei82 » Mon, 06 May 2013 10:46 am

<b>blaanimal</b> is a very dangerous person and if I had him as a subordinate I would get rid of him as soon as possible, before his jokes caused irreversible damage to me and other people.

blaanimal
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun, 05 May 2013

Postby blaanimal » Mon, 06 May 2013 1:37 pm

This is very serious I think. I thought it is not serious things.
I dont know making a fake facebook is an offense.

Am very pessimist righy now. And sadden.

blaanimal
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun, 05 May 2013

Postby blaanimal » Mon, 06 May 2013 1:39 pm

What should I do to continue working in singapore?

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5272
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Postby the lynx » Mon, 06 May 2013 1:46 pm

blaanimal wrote:What should I do to continue working in singapore?


You can't. You can try but we can't be confident of your success. Singapore has already been trying to cut down the number of foreign workers here and from your description of what you do, yours is dime a dozen so you don't stand a chance.

Plan B.

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5272
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Postby the lynx » Mon, 06 May 2013 1:49 pm

On a neurotic note,

... WHY on earth would you play a prank like that?!

If you think you're more mature than your 'whiny' boss, you should have behaved that way by addressing these issues in proper channels. And from your posts, you don't seem to understand why we think really strongly about this one, and that speaks a lot about you.

I hope you really learn from this.

uscate
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 270
Joined: Mon, 19 Dec 2011
Location: Bahstin

Postby uscate » Mon, 06 May 2013 4:18 pm

Blaanimal - Given the fact that you have asked how to get a job in Singapore no fewer than 4 times in this one thread, I'm not sure if you're incredibly naive, incredibly entitled or just not very smart (or maybe all 3).

In any case, I'd be willing to bet you've seen your final day of employment here in Singapore. If your company has in fact sent documentation to MOM regarding your fraudulent behavior, what makes you think you're that special snowflake who will evade the (in this case justifiable) wrath of MOM and get yourself another EP? Given the anti FT sentiment right now, I'm sure many people would believe MOM to be justified in just saying no....

Good luck with your future - hopefully you'll have learned from this episode, but something tells me this is probably one in a series of "gaffes" that will somehow occur within your work sphere.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Careers & Jobs in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests