Singapore Expats

refrigerating vitamins?

Discuss about beauty & health. Need some advice or looking for a particular product? Share your beauty and health tips here.
BedokAmerican
Chatter
Chatter

refrigerating vitamins?

Post by BedokAmerican » Fri, 03 May 2013 10:33 pm

I bought some Women's Iron Complete vitamins at GNC and the person who worked there told me to refrigerate them. I asked why and was told it was because of the climate in Singapore. I told him that I didn't refrigerate them when I bought them a few months ago and he said it's not absolutely necessary but they'll keep better if refrigerated.

The box says to store in "a cool, dry place," but I wouldn't think that would be the refrigerator. All vitamin labels say keep in a cool, dry place. I've got air conditioning. Shouldn't that be good enough?

Has anyone else been told to refrigerate their vitamins?

scarbowl
Chatter
Chatter

Post by scarbowl » Sat, 04 May 2013 12:46 pm

Some vitamins such as B & C will degrade in warm, moist environments even if the lids are on tight. I keep mine in the refrigerator. The same is true of many medications - the toilet is the worst place to keep prescription medicines.

Lena888

Post by Lena888 » Sat, 04 May 2013 10:59 pm

Yes it's absolutely true. To keep in good conditions your medicine and skin care products it's better to use refrigerator.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 05 May 2013 1:14 am

It seems totally common IME for a SGns to leave pots of vitamins on the top shelf in their fridge.

Maybe a case of 'When in Rome' ... ?

Michael X
Regular
Regular

Post by Michael X » Wed, 29 May 2013 9:48 pm

Not necessary, if you keep them in the original container and make sure the top is screwed on. Just keep them out of direct sunlight, i.e. a kitchen cabinet. Unless your kitchen is as hot as a sauna, then keep them in the refrigerator.

chuckd
Regular
Regular

Post by chuckd » Thu, 30 May 2013 12:17 pm

Could possibly store them in an airtight container in the fridge with one of those silica gel sachets to help reduce any moisture that might develop in the fridge....just a thought.
--
Chuck

PriestFC

Post by PriestFC » Mon, 17 Jun 2013 11:51 am

I just keep mine in the dark cupboard but do have the air-con going 24/7. No need to keep them in the fridge all the time..

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 17 Jun 2013 1:30 pm

Just put 'em in the wine cabinet. :wink:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

scarbowl
Chatter
Chatter

Post by scarbowl » Wed, 19 Jun 2013 8:37 pm

Michael X wrote:Not necessary, if you keep them in the original container and make sure the top is screwed on. Just keep them out of direct sunlight, i.e. a kitchen cabinet. Unless your kitchen is as hot as a sauna, then keep them in the refrigerator.
I think a normal non-a/c kitchen that is used regularly might just about qualify as a sauna! :D

Return to “Beauty, Health & Fitness”