Singapore Expats

Movie rentals

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
iamsen
Regular
Regular

Movie rentals

Post by iamsen » Thu, 02 May 2013 7:33 pm

I used to have a weekly movie rental night when in Japan. I haven't found any place yet that has similar offerings over here. Sure I could just download stuff, but I'd like to think my 500yen a week helps keep the industry going.

What do you people do?

I'm thinking of maybe just renting off iTunes.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Thu, 02 May 2013 8:55 pm

Everybody else just pirates movies. The region (SEA) isn't exactly known for affluence so economics takes priority.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Re: Movie rentals

Post by the lynx » Fri, 03 May 2013 8:37 am

iamsen wrote:I used to have a weekly movie rental night when in Japan. I haven't found any place yet that has similar offerings over here. Sure I could just download stuff, but I'd like to think my 500yen a week helps keep the industry going.

What do you people do?

I'm thinking of maybe just renting off iTunes.
There are VideoEZ movie rental outlets all over Singapore. It is easier to find them in the heartland areas as the approach is very down-to-earth. One can find them in MRT stations and HDB town centres. Selection may be poor though. as they lean heavily towards TVB, Chinese and Korean soap dramas. You may have some luck with very popular anime titles.

Sooner8

Post by Sooner8 » Fri, 03 May 2013 9:05 am

What about NetFlix or other similar services? If available, are some titles off limits due to local modesty demands?

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 03 May 2013 9:42 am

Sooner8 wrote:What about NetFlix or other similar services? If available, are some titles off limits due to local modesty demands?

Apparently, no legal streaming services. If they're available in Singapore, they're very, very, VERY obscure.

Sooner8

Post by Sooner8 » Fri, 03 May 2013 9:48 am

nakatago wrote:
Sooner8 wrote:What about NetFlix or other similar services? If available, are some titles off limits due to local modesty demands?

Apparently, no legal streaming services. If they're available in Singapore, they're very, very, VERY obscure.
Thank you. Obscure = under govt radar?

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Fri, 03 May 2013 10:05 am

Sooner8 wrote:
nakatago wrote:

obscure = none that I or anyone in my circles have heard of.

Sooner8

Post by Sooner8 » Fri, 03 May 2013 10:08 am

nakatago wrote:
Sooner8 wrote:
nakatago wrote:

obscure = none that I or anyone in my circles have heard of.
Thanks again.

breakdown

Post by breakdown » Fri, 03 May 2013 10:33 am

How about Apple TV?

Sooner8

Post by Sooner8 » Fri, 03 May 2013 11:02 am

breakdown wrote:How about Apple TV?
This is what I found at dubdubdubdotkianheandotcom that apparently has a service to access NetFlix, Hulu on Apple TV in Singapore.

iamsen
Regular
Regular

Post by iamsen » Fri, 03 May 2013 2:23 pm

Netflix + VPN is also an option but I generally prefer browsing in a shop for the chance to stumble upon a rare gem. I don't know why but I often waste my lunch hour at the dvd shop at funan even though I'd never buy anything there, I just enjoy browsing the titles. I haven't seen any of the outrageous ones but in Japan we'd get stuff like Transmorphers, Species XXXX or some crap of the dead knock off movie.
Some of them were even entertaining!

Of course all that and the whacky home grown movies, there're some fairly amazing Japanese movies that never get any international exposure. I recommend Dai Nippon Jin if anyone ever gets the chance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZa_jBoR-eQ

janiceliu88

Post by janiceliu88 » Tue, 14 May 2013 12:26 am

You can also borrow movies from the National Library - I don't think a membership costs very much, and they've got a pretty decent range, especially at the larger libraries. Library@esplanade is one of them, what with their particular emphasis on film and the arts.

bgd
Manager
Manager

Post by bgd » Tue, 14 May 2013 10:58 am

breakdown wrote:How about Apple TV?
I've just started downloading a few movies via ATV. Pretty impressed. Quality is good and haven't had any download hiccups yet.

You need to set up an account in another country though, the Sg library is sparse.