Singapore Expats

Depositing USD (US dollars) in SG without incurring fees

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Thu, 02 May 2013 1:17 pm

Citibank in the US do something called a global executive account and you can link it to a Citibank SG account and move stuff back and forth for free.

skyper65

Post by skyper65 » Thu, 02 May 2013 2:18 pm

Hannieroo, thanks for your post & the prompt response. I just checked citibank. If I were to deposit USD in CASH to citibank, there would be a charge of 0.5 %. For example, USD $10,000 cash deposit in Singapore at a citibank branch would incur a charge of USD $50. Would you happen to know of banks that do NOT have such charges or have minimal charges or flat fee charges? ~skyper65

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Thu, 02 May 2013 5:20 pm

No, sorry.

skyper65

Post by skyper65 » Sat, 04 May 2013 11:45 am

Thanks, Hannieroo!

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sat, 04 May 2013 7:10 pm

I think Hannie meant that if you deposit it into Citibank in the US, then transfer it over. And actually, for some reason in that direction (US -> SG) they will charge you $11 USD.

But, I'm guessing you're already here though with a pile of cash.

Did you want to put it into an USD or SGD denominated account? If the latter, go to the arcade at Raffles Place and just convert it to SGD.

PrimroseHill
Chatter
Chatter

Post by PrimroseHill » Mon, 06 May 2013 1:50 pm

Open up a USD account at Citi SG then transfer to heart's content. Thats what we did.
We opened a USD & GBP denominated account, so it was merely a USD to USD transfer, no forex charges just the TT/SWIFT

skyper65

Post by skyper65 » Tue, 07 May 2013 4:33 pm

PrimroseHill wrote:Open up a USD account at Citi SG then transfer to heart's content. Thats what we did.
We opened a USD & GBP denominated account, so it was merely a USD to USD transfer, no forex charges just the TT/SWIFT
Thanks, PrimroseHill. I am going to set up a foreign currency account with Citibank!

Max Headroom
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Max Headroom » Wed, 08 May 2013 11:56 am

PrimroseHill wrote:Open up a USD account at Citi SG then transfer to heart's content. Thats what we did.
PH, we were informed that any USD coming into Singapore, at any bank, will automatically be converted to SGD before it is deposited. The reason being - so we were told - is because banks here aren't permitted to accept SGD outright, possible as a measure against laundering, not sure.

Can you confirm for me that Citi will allow a USD transfer from overseas?

Cheers.