Singapore Expats Forum

Good places to live as a 20 y/o

Events and gatherings for the 20's Club
gdp

Good places to live as a 20 y/o

Postby gdp » Thu, 02 May 2013 7:40 am

Hi guys,

I will be working at a job near Shenton way and was wondering if any of you had any recommendations as to nice/affordable places for a twenty year old expat from California to live. I'm looking to spend approx 2,500 a month, live alone, and in relative comfort. I prefer a place that would be expat friendly and give me the opportunity to socialize with others of around the same age. Never been to Singapore and don't know what to expect, but any feedback or advice would be welcomed!

Thanks!

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Postby Sergei82 » Thu, 02 May 2013 10:15 am

You want to spend 2.5K a month for accomodation only? Or for everything?

nztraveller

Postby nztraveller » Thu, 02 May 2013 6:34 pm

Hey dude!

I'm exactly in the same boat as you, and am travelling to Singapore next week.

I've been looking around for quite a while now, and $2500 on a rental seems like a decent enough amount. I'm footing $2200 for an apartment that isn't shared.

I was very clear that I didn't want to enter into renting a room with a family and living in what they call a 'common room' or a 'master bedroom.'

I'm nearly finalised with my self contained 1 bedroom apartment and just waiting for confirmation to come through.

I'm 21 and travelling from New Zealand for a job with a financial institution on Raffles Quay.

Would love to get connected, and perhaps catch up when we're both there.

all the best in your search!

gdp

Postby gdp » Fri, 03 May 2013 8:52 am

nztraveller, if you don't mind me asking, what neighborhood is the place you're looking at in? also, how did you go about finding this place? i've been doing all my searching here from the states and it seems IMPOSSIBLE to find anything that fits my criteria.

I would love to talk to you more about your move, but can't private message on this forum since i'm a new member. do you have an e-mail I can reach you at?

Thanks!

nztraveller

Postby nztraveller » Sat, 04 May 2013 3:40 pm

Hey buddy,

It was by total chance that I came across this place that I've secured. I've also had a friend of mine in singapore check out the place, meet with the agent and secure the property.

I'll PM you my details now!

When do you get into Singapore anyway?

gdp

Postby gdp » Sat, 04 May 2013 11:11 pm

I've just sent you an e-mail asking more about your housing situation since I still can't private message, thanks for your help! I won't be arriving til the end of June.

Does anyone else have any advice on any ex-pat friendly neighborhoods to look into?

Help is much appreciated!

clairecchoo

Postby clairecchoo » Sat, 04 May 2013 11:42 pm

You can try looking for apartments in River Valley or Holland Village area. Both places have a good mixture of expats and locals. :)

nztraveller

Haven't received any email yet!

Postby nztraveller » Sun, 05 May 2013 5:11 am

Hey dude!

I haven't received any email from you as yet - you sure you've got the correct email address? I'll PM it to you again.

Fatdude

Postby Fatdude » Fri, 07 Jun 2013 1:58 pm

I think the places suitable for your situation will be like around Novena, Newton, Bishan or Queenstown, Bukit Timah area...
Once in your life, make something bright...

nickdutch

Postby nickdutch » Fri, 07 Jun 2013 5:11 pm

gdp wrote:I've just sent you an e-mail asking more about your housing situation since I still can't private message, thanks for your help! I won't be arriving til the end of June.

Does anyone else have any advice on any ex-pat friendly neighborhoods to look into?

Help is much appreciated!

Yep, Holland Village is great! Check it out!

ektorbaboden

Postby ektorbaboden » Sat, 08 Jun 2013 1:04 pm

Holland V is very nice, but it's not the cheapest area. Rents can go up quite a bit.

However, in exchange you get a very nice neighborhood with relatively low-rise buildings, a great wet market (very small, but I tried many of them and the Holland V has the best western-style veggies, if you are into that), and a nice night-life spot.