Singapore Expats

Military service ?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
nowhere

Military service ?

Post by nowhere » Tue, 30 Apr 2013 10:07 pm

I was wondering those who are granted citizenship, do they have to go through NS or military service/ reservist duties ?

(a) Say, someone at the age of 10 is granted citizenship, he will have to undergo NS and subsequently reservist duties every year?

(b) Someone at the age of 25 is granted citizenship, since he cannot go through NS, is there some other "special" trainings he has to undergo and go for yearly reservist duties?

And once the person gets married and has a male child:
(a) If male child is born in another country, will he be SG citizen or citizen of the country he is born in? And does he have to go through the military?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: Military service ?

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 30 Apr 2013 11:33 pm

nowhere wrote:I was wondering those who are granted citizenship, do they have to go through NS or military service/ reservist duties ?

Possibly. Depends on several factors. Or with discussions gong on at the moment, possibly a different form of NS like community service. Currently it's in a state of flux and being discussed by the government.

(a) Say, someone at the age of 10 is granted citizenship, he will have to undergo NS and subsequently reservist duties every year?

Yes. Additionally, if they are granted PR, that also have to do NS/reservist duties.

(b) Someone at the age of 25 is granted citizenship, since he cannot go through NS, is there some other "special" trainings he has to undergo and go for yearly reservist duties?

Who says he cannot go through NS? It's entirely possible.

(a) If male child is born in another country, will he be SG citizen or citizen of the country he is born in? And does he have to go through the military?

Depends on whether he is a Singaporean citizen by birth. If born outside of Singapore and citizenship is not registered timely, obviously he won't unless he takes up PR later. If he doesn't but his parents were citizens when he was born, he'll never have to worry about working or getting any type of residency in Singapore in the future, as the government will know that his parents deliberately tried to screw the government. They have an extremely long memory.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

vishalgupta2
Chatter
Chatter

Re: Military service ?

Post by vishalgupta2 » Wed, 01 May 2013 11:00 pm

"he'll never have to worry about working or getting any type of residency in Singapore in the future"

I absolutely love those lines. Sarcasm as good as it gets.
sundaymorningstaple wrote:
nowhere wrote:I was wondering those who are granted citizenship, do they have to go through NS or military service/ reservist duties ?

Possibly. Depends on several factors. Or with discussions gong on at the moment, possibly a different form of NS like community service. Currently it's in a state of flux and being discussed by the government.

Yes. Additionally, if they are granted PR, that also have to do NS/reservist duties.

Who says he cannot go through NS? It's entirely possible.

Depends on whether he is a Singaporean citizen by birth. If born outside of Singapore and citizenship is not registered timely, obviously he won't unless he takes up PR later. If he doesn't but his parents were citizens when he was born, he'll never have to worry about working or getting any type of residency in Singapore in the future, as the government will know that his parents deliberately tried to screw the government. They have an extremely long memory.

nowhere

Post by nowhere » Fri, 03 May 2013 4:03 pm

Thanks SMS for your indept reply.