Singapore Expats

Carpools for UWC east coast - nursery school

Discuss about childcare, parenthood, playschools, educational, family & international school issues.

Sponsored by:

Canadian International School
MJSingapore

Carpools for UWC east coast - nursery school

Post by MJSingapore » Sun, 28 Apr 2013 8:08 am

Hi, Our daughter starts at the nursery school at UWC East Coast and we are looking to move apartments at the same time in August.

I am not sure I want my daughter to go on the bus for an hour or even half an hour. I heard the buses arrive at school half an hour early so if I send her on the bus - even if it is a half hour bus ride, she will be getting up at 6:30am

I wanted to ask if there is a good resource on-line to find carpools for the International Schools here in singapore. I am flexible about where to live but thinking about Meyer Road, Tanjong Rhu, Mandarin Gardens...

I guess driving in a car means she could leave at 8:30am and get up at 8am instead of leaving at 7:10am on a bus and waking up at 6:40 to 6:45am

Anybody have any thoughts - and any views on sending a 4 year old on a one hour school bus?

Thanks in advance for your advice and help.

katbh
Reporter
Reporter

Post by katbh » Thu, 16 May 2013 7:16 am

Probably best is to put a sign up at school. But this would mean you driving for a few weeks at least - car pooling is not common here. Any buy the time your child has started, most parents would already have booked and paid for the school bus for the term. So probably second term would be more likely.
Or hang out at school drop off in the first week - see if there is anyone you recognise from your area who is dropping off their child.
The school buses are usually fine. There is a 'bus aunty' who looks after them and usually they sit with their friends and have a great time.
Often one of the older kids will take yours under their wing - especially if, as you say, you will be in one of the large condos where there will be other kids your child will get to know on the bus.
Children usually love the school bus. But yes, it can be daunting as a parent!
katbh

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Fri, 17 May 2013 1:55 pm

I drive for exactly that reason and if I didn't drive I would use taxis. Our eldest had a long bus trip to and from school at that age and it exhausted him and really impacted on family time in the evening because we had about enough time for dinner, homework, bath and bed. Never again.

katbh
Reporter
Reporter

Post by katbh » Fri, 17 May 2013 2:33 pm

+1
katbh