Singapore Expats

Relocation Questions

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
mutley123

Relocation Questions

Post by mutley123 » Sat, 27 Apr 2013 2:06 am

Hi i have been offered a 2 year position to work in Singapore. I have been alone a few times for business trips so familiar with some systems.

i will be coming with my son and welcome some help on following:

- Schooling - is the Overseas family school in Paterson road - anyone had middle year kids attend here? is it good service and education?
(so far they are only school that have replied to me!)

- Apartment - can i get reasonable apartment 2-3 bedroom in Rivervalley area or 15mins walk from Somerset station for $5k pm? (with pool etc)

-How much is dental care for kids in SG? as my son will need braces soon (free in UK but i know it will cost in SG).
thanks

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 27 Apr 2013 7:43 pm

What questions have you asked the schools? Maybe we can shed some light on why you're not getting replies.

Why do you wish to live within 15 minutes walk of Somerset? That is (IMHO) rather akin to wishing to live within a 15 minute very hot, sweaty, uncomfortable, walk of a tropical Oxford Circus?

My gut-feeling on an apartment in that area is that it is unfortunately probably well out of your budget. But this is based upon rents I have paid in other more 'Zone 2' type areas. Use the property search function above to get yourself a flavour of what is on offer across various areas.

Just my 2c, and I hope it provokes some wider discussion.

mutley123

Post by mutley123 » Sat, 27 Apr 2013 8:03 pm

I will be coming as a single parent with a 11yr old son.
My office is near Somerset MRT and hence why i wanted school to be walking distance proximity so we got easy access if need be.

if i was on my own i could quite happlily live a few stops out of city, but i dont want my son going back to empty house each evening, whereas he could meet my at the office and we could walk back together etc

thanks

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Tue, 30 Apr 2013 10:16 am

Well, in that case you might want to ask OFS if it's true they are moving east because there lease is up. I'm hearing it a lot.

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Tue, 30 Apr 2013 10:24 am

Hannieroo wrote:Well, in that case you might want to ask OFS if it's true they are moving east because there lease is up. I'm hearing it a lot.
They are moving to Pasir Ris Drive 3 as far as I am aware, and whilst its East, there isnt much north of where they are going other than Malaysia.

It is quite close to the MRT station there if thats any help.

There are currently some issues with them chopping down the last bit of jungle in the area to make for the school. I am assuming that once that is resolved, and it may already be so then the building will begin.
Life is short, paddle harder!!

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Thu, 02 May 2013 1:24 pm

You might be better off reducing your budget and moving further out and spending the difference on a helper. Not what you asked, I know, but I think you'd find that a lot easier.

janiceliu88

Post by janiceliu88 » Tue, 14 May 2013 1:09 am

I've never had braces personally but whenever my friends had work done it was a cool thousand bucks or so, in a handful of intervals? I would definitely get as much work done in the UK as possible, dental's pretty expensive here, a routine cleaning is $50 at the absolute lowest.

PrimroseHill
Chatter
Chatter

Post by PrimroseHill » Tue, 14 May 2013 3:22 pm

I have a daughter that goes to OFS middle years going to high school in Aug. We live off Holland Road.
Pasir Ris is/was on the cards but it is now in jeorpady as there's some conservation issues. The govt has not given the green light to build the school there. There are romours that the school will be scattered around different sites. That will happen in 2015.
DD's friends, a few of them lives on Grange Road. However, if he is in the Middle Years, he should be ok on his own. By the time he finishes school, chatted to his friends etc it will be nearly 4ish...... so time alone in the condo isnt that much.

You manage to get free braces in the UK? Wow! How? DD has never managed to even has NHS dentist