Singapore Expats

[ASK] The reason you play gadget on Bus/MRT

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
chrissg

[ASK] The reason you play gadget on Bus/MRT

Post by chrissg » Wed, 24 Apr 2013 12:55 am

Hi All,

just curious, what is your reason playing the gadgets in Bus/MRT?

A. Because you are a gadget mania and really love the games or e-books
B. If i'm not playing gadget, my eyes tend to look to others people and this will make me look suspicious. So i need to play my gadget with this boring game.

Honestly i don't really like playing gadget. so my choice is B.
Anyone?
other answer are welcome. :)

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Wed, 24 Apr 2013 9:59 am

I prefer looking at other people to playing any gadgets. And I do not care what do they think when I look at them.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Wed, 24 Apr 2013 10:30 am

I don't ride public trans often, but I'd prefer to use my gadget. I don't play games, and usually use the time to catch up on work and personal email, or read stories of interest to me. I'm too busy in the office to have time for myself. Right now I usually do this at lunch, or the 3-5 minutes in between meetings (like the time I use to troll this forum!)

local lad
Chatter
Chatter

Post by local lad » Wed, 24 Apr 2013 10:43 am

Sorry, I do not play games. Somehow, it divides your attention especially when you are waiting for your ride to where you want to go or your stop while traveling in the train or bus. But that's secondary, what peeves me is their obvious indifference around them in the crowded train/bus. How I wish their game pulls them into their gadget so we have one less ignorant passenger. :mad:

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 24 Apr 2013 10:50 am

Actually, I find the ignorant passenger to be the ones who carry overstuffed backpacks on their backs and don't have any spatial awareness as to how much room is needed for same, so end up rudely smacking/buffeting other passengers with their backpacks and then look at you with a "what did I do?" look. Or the ones who stand in the middle of the door when they are not going to get down for 2 or 3 more stops, thereby causing a disruption in the flow of exiting passengers. But then, that's how they were brought up, so it can't be helped I guess.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

sensei_
Chatter
Chatter

Post by sensei_ » Wed, 24 Apr 2013 11:57 am

so i can feign ignorance at the pregnant/elderly/disabled passengers :D :D

bro75
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by bro75 » Wed, 24 Apr 2013 12:21 pm

In my case, it is to quell the boredom of the trip.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 24 Apr 2013 1:29 pm

I put earphones on so that I don't have to hear what people pass off as conversation by shouting loudly, in an irritating cadence, as if other people are not there, or them bad mouthing us foreigners in a language they think we don't understand.

I put earphones on so that I don't have to hear their k-pop or canto-pop songs or soap operas leaking out of their earphones.

I don't need music on; I just need to keep the noise out.

I do it so I can hear myself think.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 24 Apr 2013 2:22 pm

Funny enough, I do the same thing. In fact, a number of times, because I wear external bluetooth headset (not the earbud type). I've found myself at the end of my trip with nothing on at all because of a program I was using stopped the bluetooth connection and I didn't even realize it. But as the headset insulates me from the external idjits, it's actually working more like a white noise generator rather than me actually listening to it.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter

Post by morenangpinay » Wed, 24 Apr 2013 3:28 pm

i dont play games because I get bored with it.I just bring a book and read when Im seated. otherwise i listen to music and stare at people staring at me :lol:

local lad
Chatter
Chatter

Post by local lad » Thu, 25 Apr 2013 11:47 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Actually, I find the ignorant passenger to be the ones who carry overstuffed backpacks on their backs and don't have any spatial awareness as to how much room is needed for same, so end up rudely smacking/buffeting other passengers with their backpacks and then look at you with a "what did I do?" look. Or the ones who stand in the middle of the door when they are not going to get down for 2 or 3 more stops, thereby causing a disruption in the flow of exiting passengers. But then, that's how they were brought up, so it can't be helped I guess.
Ya, that too. Usually, I just nudge myself through without a care. If they want to start, I am all ready for it. Come to think of it, those passengers would more or less moved to create a leeway for passengers moving to the back. Its those passengers glued to their gripping serial playing or that captivating game on their 6' phalet ( phone-tablet ) or what-have-yous that :x me : all eyes on their phone without any conscious thoughts or show any forms of courtesy to other passengers who were stucked at the bus stop landing, trying to get into the 'crowded' bus.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Thu, 25 Apr 2013 11:57 am

I don't get people who watch movies and play games while WALKING! Eyes on the road, people!?

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 25 Apr 2013 12:27 pm

the lynx wrote:I don't get people who watch movies and play games while WALKING! Eyes on the road, people!?
They are trying to show people that they can multi-task. Miserably.

nutnut
Manager
Manager

Post by nutnut » Thu, 25 Apr 2013 3:49 pm

I thought the gadgets were mainly so you don't have to look at the old/pregnant/disabled persons standing in front of you whilst you sit??? It's the new sleeping.
nutnut

BillyB
Manager
Manager

Post by BillyB » Thu, 25 Apr 2013 4:11 pm

I do it to stop myself fiddling with my balls.....