Singapore Expats Forum

People and Social Culture in Singapore

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.

Sponsored by:
AE Logistics - Singapore Movers

chrissg

People and Social Culture in Singapore

Postby chrissg » Wed, 24 Apr 2013 12:46 am

Hi All,

I don't know this is the right place or not. If not, maybe moderator can move it to the right place. Thanks beforehand.

I heard a statement, 'Do not start a new conversation with people you don't know. They will feel uncomfortable'.
That's why, I never talk to a new people that I don't know. Just look on my gadget, play like nobody around (just because i think this is the culture) and they do the same. Sometime I really want to have small talk with people that I usually met on train or bus station when go or back from office because i think people that we met almost everyday on station can be friends. :)

Is it true about the statement? I want to hear comment about this :)

Brah
Manager
Manager

Postby Brah » Wed, 24 Apr 2013 7:54 am

I'm feeling uncomfortable right now

chrissg

Postby chrissg » Wed, 24 Apr 2013 8:38 am

So its true, even in the forum like this? :(

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Re: People and Social Culture in Singapore

Postby the lynx » Wed, 24 Apr 2013 9:12 am

chrissg wrote:Hi All,

I don't know this is the right place or not. If not, maybe moderator can move it to the right place. Thanks beforehand.

I heard a statement, 'Do not start a new conversation with people you don't know. They will feel uncomfortable'.
That's why, I never talk to a new people that I don't know. Just look on my gadget, play like nobody around (just because i think this is the culture) and they do the same. Sometime I really want to have small talk with people that I usually met on train or bus station when go or back from office because i think people that we met almost everyday on station can be friends. :)

If you really want to warm up to people you see everyday on stations:

1. Start with gestures, such as letting the target in the train/bus first, etc.

2. Once the target has familiarised with having you around, start smiling or nodding when you see him/her.

3. When your target has gotten used to that and starts to reciprocate, start the small talk. Even a "Good morning" will suffice. Let the rest work the magic.

Did I just give tips on how to pick up women? :o :lol:
Last edited by the lynx on Wed, 24 Apr 2013 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Postby Barnsley » Wed, 24 Apr 2013 9:57 am

the lynx wrote:

If you really want to warm up to people you will see everyday on stations:

2. Once the target has familiarised with having you around, start smiling or nodding when you see him/her.

3. When your target has gotten used to that and starts to reciprocate, start the small talk. Even a "Good morning" will suffice. Let the rest work the magic.

That easy izzit?
:shock:
Life is short, paddle harder!!

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Postby Hannieroo » Wed, 24 Apr 2013 10:28 am

The use of target is worrying.

I'm finding just as many locals smile or start a conversation with me as they did in the UK or US. More when I have my youngest child with me. So I'm guessing that it's okay to start one in the same way.

local lad
Chatter
Chatter

Postby local lad » Wed, 24 Apr 2013 10:33 am

Locals like to complain. If you share the same grudges, you are in for a game.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Postby the lynx » Wed, 24 Apr 2013 10:43 am

Hannieroo wrote:The use of target is worrying.

I'm finding just as many locals smile or start a conversation with me as they did in the UK or US. More when I have my youngest child with me. So I'm guessing that it's okay to start one in the same way.

The word target was in jest.

x9200

Postby x9200 » Wed, 24 Apr 2013 12:20 pm

local lad wrote:Locals like to complain. If you share the same grudges, you are in for a game.

Yeah, but normally you don't start conversation from complaining so you may need to make yourself more attractive in the first place. Being dressed up as a street advertiser offering something free or at the discounted price should do the job.

BillyB
Manager
Manager

Postby BillyB » Wed, 24 Apr 2013 12:58 pm

Brah wrote:I'm feeling uncomfortable right now

:D

PrimroseHill
Chatter
Chatter

Postby PrimroseHill » Wed, 24 Apr 2013 1:35 pm

local lad wrote:Locals like to complain. If you share the same grudges, you are in for a game.

Sounds like a Brit

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Wed, 24 Apr 2013 1:39 pm

How to pick up women in Singapore:

1. Be a rich, eligible, white man.
2. See number 1.

Those who don't go for the above, are not "picked up" and would entail a more nuanced, non-chauvinistic, your-mother-will-approve approach.

/s
Last edited by nakatago on Wed, 24 Apr 2013 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chrissg

Postby chrissg » Wed, 24 Apr 2013 1:40 pm

the lynx wrote:

If you really want to warm up to people you see everyday on stations:

Yeah I think you just did! Thanks btw. Lol

chrissg

Postby chrissg » Wed, 24 Apr 2013 1:50 pm

nakatago wrote:How to pick up women in Singapore:

1. Be a rich, eligible, white man.
2. See number 1.

Those who don't go for the above, are not "picked up" and would entail a more nuanced, non-chauvinistic, your-mother-will-approve approach.

/s

I think, these are the golden rule! Cant denied. Lol

BedokAmerican
Chatter
Chatter

Postby BedokAmerican » Wed, 24 Apr 2013 2:49 pm

I agree with Hannieroo about how people will start conversations with you if you have a young child with you. I've found that to be the case when I'm with my 1-year-old because everyone wants to smile and wave when they see a kid that age. Now that I think about it, that's really the only way I've had conversations with locals.

Otherwise, when I'm by myself I usually don't bother unless I'm asking for directions or something like that because people usually have their faces attached to their cell phone screens. But oftentimes if I need directions, I try and approach someone official looking (such as a store employee, although they can't always help) because it can sometimes be hard for me to tell the difference between a local and tourist. After all, not all Asians are locals.

But come to think of it, asking someone for directions might be a good way to start a conversation.