Singapore Expats

LTVP+ vs Work Permit

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.

Which is better

Work Permit
No votes
LTVP+
100%

Total votes: 2

niceit198

LTVP+ vs Work Permit

Post by niceit198 » Sat, 20 Apr 2013 2:56 pm

Hi All,

Need help from all of your advise.
Last time i have call in MOM for inquiry about LTVP+ they person who talking to me and say that is not a working pass,then i ask she but i tot in website can apply LOC for work ? But in ICA website has show LTVP+ has a employment benefits, what i worry is since LTVP+ need to get approval by MOM for the LOC,if i gain a LTVP+ but MOM has not approval the LOC so i would be a jobless and hard to support family.

anyone has experience in this situation ??

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sat, 20 Apr 2013 5:38 pm

Are you married to a Singaporean? For how long? Do you have kids?

Unless you qualify for an LTVP+, there is no point in debating.

niceit198

Post by niceit198 » Sat, 20 Apr 2013 6:26 pm

im qualify for LTVP+ , that why im asking , spouse of citizen , sg citizen kid

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Re: LTVP+ vs Work Permit

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 20 Apr 2013 6:28 pm

niceit198 wrote:Hi All,

Last time i have call in MOM for inquiry about LTVP+ they person who talking to me and say that is not a working pass,then i ask she but i tot in website can apply LOC for work ? But in ICA website has show LTVP+ has a employment benefits, what i worry is since LTVP+ need to get approval by MOM for the LOC,if i gain a LTVP+ but MOM has not approval the LOC so i would be a jobless and hard to support family.

The person told you correctly. If you are married to a Singaporean citizen, and have been here at least 2 years and/or have a child (male preferred), then you can apply for an LTVP+. IF the ICA grants you an LTVP+ (even if you qualify, there is no guarantee you will even get that) it's their choice, not yours.

Assuming you DO get an LTVP+, then you are qualified TO APPLY FOR an LoC. Again, you are "qualified to apply for". This still does not mean you will get one. A lot depends on the type of job you are attempting to get. There are a list of occupation for which no LoC will be entertained so, yeah, you could find yourself with still no job.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

niceit198

Post by niceit198 » Sat, 20 Apr 2013 6:56 pm

becasue im currently in work permit,my kid are boy,on decide weather should go apply ltvp+ or not , i know that if not qualify after decide by ica will auto to ltvp,but since im with work permit right now, im worry that will approval ltvp but not the ltvp+ and force to surrender my work permit.

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
niceit198 wrote:Hi All,

The person told you correctly. If you are married to a Singaporean citizen, and have been here at least 2 years and/or have a child (male preferred), then you can apply for an LTVP+. IF the ICA grants you an LTVP+ (even if you qualify, there is no guarantee you will even get that) it's their choice, not yours.

Assuming you DO get an LTVP+, then you are qualified TO APPLY FOR an LoC. Again, you are "qualified to apply for". This still does not mean you will get one. A lot depends on the type of job you are attempting to get. There are a list of occupation for which no LoC will be entertained so, yeah, you could find yourself with still no job.

niceit198

Post by niceit198 » Sat, 20 Apr 2013 6:57 pm

For the LOC i would like to ask if u guy know is that any chance of decline ? my job are IT retail/repair.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 20 Apr 2013 7:24 pm

Why would you want to go from WP to LoC? Doesn't make any sense.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

niceit198

Post by niceit198 » Sat, 20 Apr 2013 7:28 pm

would have better chance of apply job ?
sundaymorningstaple wrote:Why would you want to go from WP to LoC? Doesn't make any sense.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 20 Apr 2013 7:38 pm

You have job. Trying to tell employers about the LoC is difficult. If you give up a bird in the hand for a bird in the bush, it's a pretty big gamble as you would need to give up your current job with no guarantee of a new one.

But, it's your dime, so you buys your ticket and takes you chances, I guess.

Good Luck.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 20 Apr 2013 7:54 pm

re: LTVP+
sundaymorningstaple wrote: The person told you correctly. If you are married to a Singaporean citizen, and have been here at least 2 years ...
Do you think the two years have to be consecutively?

What if say you do a year in SG, then ten years later another 1.5yrs in SG, then the SGn spouse gets posted abroad (you accompany) for 2 years, and then after say a year back in SG you apply for LTVP+.

I realise this is probably the kind of thing they don't feel they need to elaborate on in any FAQ, I'm more trying to divine the spirit of the rules and who (the target group) it is aimed at.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 20 Apr 2013 9:16 pm

As they are under no obligation to give someone an LTVP+ even if they have been here 10 years and have 5 sons. So I would reckon they would probably use a combination of things and I would also assume that they "might" take into account the reason why you were not in the country as well. Provided which they are made aware of the details/reasons. :wink:

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sun, 21 Apr 2013 9:34 am

Keep your WP.

If you ever lose your job, apply for an LTVP immediately. You can't choose to apply for an LTVP+; you apply for normal LTVP and if ICA likes you they upgrade it to LTVP+.

If you get LTVP+, then apply for LOC when you find a new job.
If you only get regular LTVP, then apply for WP when you find a new job.

angeltan321

Post by angeltan321 » Sat, 04 May 2013 1:51 pm

If you apply for ltvp+ but end up ica give you a ltvp, this is what I can recommend you:
1. I am sure your work permit will be taken away once you get ur ltvp.
2. After you get your ltvp, ask your hr dept to reapply work permit for you, and I am sure they will very happy to do that because sg spouse apply work permit from ltvp the employer don't have to pay monthly levy anymore.(this is such a weird route and I don't think not much people know this)

Anyway, I am sure you are eligible for ltvp+ and also pr I would recommend you to try to apply. Mine also work as a work permit holder my pr just got approved recently. Good luck to you.