Singapore Expats Forum

UK EXPAT RETIRING IN SINGAPORE

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.

Sponsored by:
AE Logistics - Singapore Movers

RobSg
Regular
Regular

Postby RobSg » Fri, 24 May 2013 8:24 am

I'm a PR in Singapore at 66, but still working. I plan on retiring this year, but I've been saying that the past 2 years. Six months ago I received my 10 year retirement visa from Malaysia, which I will definitely make use of.

The general consensus here is not to retire in Singapore when there are so many other less expensive and even more tranquil open spaces to enjoy life a little more. I chose Malaysia because in spite of Singapore not being a place to retire, it has been home for me for 25 years, and that feeling is hard to get rid of, so being near by is good. Also, the ten year MM2H retirement visa allows me to come and go as I like, and the FD deposit in the Malaysian bank does accrue interest of 3.8%, so it isn't money that doesn't grow.

I'll see how it goes. Foe now, it's MM2H (and Singapore) for the future.

Rob

sundaymorningstaple

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 24 May 2013 11:59 am

Hey Rob, good to see you are still hanging in there. Looks like you have a plan. At least for the short term. I just hope the current crap happening across the causeway doesn't have any bad ramifications on the future of the MM2H and life in general over there. Take care my friend.

I'll be looking at the double six in a couple of months, I guess I need to start thinking about that aspect of my life as well, although my boss as made it hard to think about stopping in the short term (his actions are geared to another 10 years). We'll see.