Singapore Expats

Considering expat move from Chicago to Singapore

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
Tlock

Considering expat move from Chicago to Singapore

Post by Tlock » Fri, 19 Apr 2013 7:49 am

We are considering an expat assignment in Singapore. Have 2 girls, 16 and 19. Younger will be in 11th grade and older has learning disabilities. My wife does not work. Any experience with high schools and special need options? Our special needs daughter is highly functional socially. The girls are excited about the opportunity but want to make sure it is a good move for them.

freshmeat

Post by freshmeat » Fri, 19 Apr 2013 9:09 am

Does your older one go to special need school in Chicago or join main stream class? I think there are a couple International School with special need support although I'm not sure till which grade.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Fri, 19 Apr 2013 9:15 am

At age 19 I don't think there are anymore schooling options left with regards to International Schools. The option would be to put her into University if she can.

Some of my friends have autistic children here (I don't know where on the scale, sorry) and they're concerned about them when they get older here in Singapore. It's nothing like the US, at least from what I hear from my sister who's daughter is also autistic (coincidentally, in Chicago)

freshmeat

Post by freshmeat » Fri, 19 Apr 2013 7:16 pm

I believe in Chicagoland special need support is up to 21 years old.

Tlock

Post by Tlock » Fri, 19 Apr 2013 9:53 pm

freshmeat wrote:Does your older one go to special need school in Chicago or join main stream class? I think there are a couple International School with special need support although I'm not sure till which grade.
She attends a mainstream school and her classes are split between mainstream and closed environment classrooms. Started looking online last night for options as well.

Tlock

Post by Tlock » Fri, 19 Apr 2013 10:00 pm

freshmeat wrote:I believe in Chicagoland special need support is up to 21 years old.
The state of Illinois offers education through age 21. After 18-19, they participate in a living skills training classes until the day they turn 22. Trying to understand if there is anything similar in Singapore.

freshmeat

Post by freshmeat » Sat, 20 Apr 2013 7:31 am

There are a few organizations that provide independent living skills. Below are a couple links that may be helpful.

http://www.cel.sg/Services_Adolescent_Overview.aspx
http://www.moe.gov.sg/education/special ... choollist/