Singapore Expats Forum

I'm really in need of opinions

Discuss travel and holidays tips and advice here.
offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1582
Joined: Wed, 04 Jul 2012

Postby offshoreoildude » Thu, 18 Apr 2013 4:26 pm

Akimbo wrote:Well zzm, actually I did think that the application process will be pretty rough, and they won't really just take anyone. At the very least, I take a shot at it...

But if I already fail the basic requirement of "Being an American citizen" then I already lost before I even begun the battle... :mad:

And yeah, it would've been a resume springboard if you have such experience.


My wife did Peace Corp. She loved it but wouldn't say it was a springboard (unless she really is a secret CIA agent).
Now I'm called PNGMK

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1582
Joined: Wed, 04 Jul 2012

Postby offshoreoildude » Thu, 18 Apr 2013 5:44 pm

Now I'm called PNGMK

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Thu, 18 Apr 2013 6:25 pm

Akimbo wrote: And yeah, it would've been a resume springboard if you have such experience.


And therein lies the problem. You say you want to do charitable work, but in fact the motive is the opposite, it is to personally benefit yourself. True charity expects nil reward, 'not even a thank-you'.

I saw similar quite often when I was getting resumes from candidate interns from the US. They seemed to all feel that a bit of voluntary work rounded off their resumes. I imagine they believe a bit of spray-on philanthropy carries weight.

The trouble is, that as a result of this belief, you have seen the emergence and growth of pseudo charities: Companies who in return for your $000s, will facilitate some form of labour (however pointless) that you can present as having had real significance.

Just Google on 'belize reef survey volunteer' for 3+ million hits on that particular offering...


Just my 2c...

Edit: Typos... doh sorry!
Last edited by JR8 on Thu, 18 Apr 2013 10:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Thu, 18 Apr 2013 8:55 pm

JR8 wrote:
Akimbo wrote: And yeah, it would've been a resume springboard if you have such experience.


And therein lies the problem. You say you want to do charitable work, but in fact the motive is the opposite, it is to personally benefit yourself. True charity expects nil reward, 'not even a thank-you'.

I saw similar quite often when I was getting resumes from candidate interns from the US. They seemed to all feel that a bit of voluntary work rounded off their resumes. I imagine they believe a bit of spray-on philanthropy carries weight.

The trouble is, that as a result of this belief, you have seen the emergence and growth of pseudo charities: Companies who in return for your $000s, will facilitate some for of labour (however pointless) that you can present as having had real significance.

Just Google on 'belize reef survey volunteer' form 3+ million hits on that particular offering...


Just my 2c...


I participated in a tree planting program in Woodlands as part of my company's outreach.

When we got there, the holes have been dug already and the sack covering the clump of soil of the saplings' roots have been removed.

Our company had us in groups of six. Six people to put a tree and fill-in dirt.

I thought it was just our group but I saw a man with his family celebrating his 50th birthday. Same set-up. Shovel in dirt, pose for a photo.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Thu, 18 Apr 2013 11:02 pm

nakatago wrote:I participated in a tree planting program in Woodlands as part of my company's outreach.

When we got there, the holes have been dug already and the sack covering the clump of soil of the saplings' roots have been removed.

Our company had us in groups of six. Six people to put a tree and fill-in dirt.

I thought it was just our group but I saw a man with his family celebrating his 50th birthday. Same set-up. Shovel in dirt, pose for a photo.


I wonder if your company paid to participate in this. If so it seems exactly same-same.

My ex-employer (a bank) used to have an annual '''charity''' programme called 'Christmas Calls'. The last weekend before Xmas they'd ship in coachloads of pensioners, who lived in London but hailed from all around the world. They were each given an hour +/- to call which ever relatives they liked, anywhere in the world. We'd get Santa in, with free gifts and a decent Xmas lunch, and two way transport in and back home.

This was before the days of mass-market discount 'call over-ride' but the technology was similar, in that the trading floor phone lines were permanently open, and it didn't impact cost if calls were made, or how many, or where to. So the calls cost nothing. The staff attending were all volunteers. Santa was a member of staff. So the only cost was F+B, token (probably branded, lol) gifts, and transport.

Of course we'd also invite in all the media, and just about every year it would be a feel-good front page picture splash, on the nations broadsheet dailies.

What a total con-trick.

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Fri, 19 Apr 2013 7:31 am

JR8 wrote:
nakatago wrote:I participated in a tree planting program in Woodlands as part of my company's outreach.

When we got there, the holes have been dug already and the sack covering the clump of soil of the saplings' roots have been removed.

Our company had us in groups of six. Six people to put a tree and fill-in dirt.

I thought it was just our group but I saw a man with his family celebrating his 50th birthday. Same set-up. Shovel in dirt, pose for a photo.


I wonder if your company paid to participate in this. If so it seems exactly same-same.
.


Of course. It's in Singapore :roll:

You silly, little humanitarian.

Akimbo
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 855
Joined: Wed, 02 May 2012
Location: Serangoon

Postby Akimbo » Fri, 19 Apr 2013 8:54 am

nakatago wrote:
JR8 wrote:
nakatago wrote:I participated in a tree planting program in Woodlands as part of my company's outreach.

When we got there, the holes have been dug already and the sack covering the clump of soil of the saplings' roots have been removed.

Our company had us in groups of six. Six people to put a tree and fill-in dirt.

I thought it was just our group but I saw a man with his family celebrating his 50th birthday. Same set-up. Shovel in dirt, pose for a photo.


I wonder if your company paid to participate in this. If so it seems exactly same-same.
.


Of course. It's in Singapore :roll:

You silly, little humanitarian.


So the "volunteering" part is only putting a tree in the ground while posing for a photo and close it with a clump of dirt........where's the fun of humanitarian volunteering in that?

It's all supposed to be hard labor work with digging up holes in the ground, carrying the trees from a truck and planting them one by one and such...at the end of the day, that's where you get the satisfaction of your work. It's also exercise...

Kinda makes me wonder about the "Urban Farming" volunteering program that Sbux is planning on Sunday 28th April...

Disclaimer: I'm not affiliated with Sbux at all...just saw the small brochure while I ordered my coffee at Vivo's branch.
My thread...The Weekenders If you need my e-mail address, it's in the first post of the thread.

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6837
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Fri, 19 Apr 2013 10:03 am

offshoreoildude wrote:My wife did Peace Corp. She loved it but wouldn't say it was a springboard (unless she really is a secret CIA agent).


Interestingly serving in the Peace Corp is a permanent disqualification from numerous CIA, FBI, State Dept, and other US Gov positions that require security clearances. I'm not sure if it is because the assumption is someone in the Peace Corp is a bleeding heart hippy that was likely already turned by foreign agents, or that they are trying to distance themselves from the Peace Corp as to keep them safe in hostile territories that may very well assume they're CIA agents.

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Fri, 19 Apr 2013 10:31 am

Akimbo wrote:
So the "volunteering" part is only putting a tree in the ground while posing for a photo and close it with a clump of dirt........where's the fun of humanitarian volunteering in that?

It's all supposed to be hard labor work with digging up holes in the ground, carrying the trees from a truck and planting them one by one and such...at the end of the day, that's where you get the satisfaction of your work. It's also exercise....


It's all PR and looking good. Good karma for sale.

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1582
Joined: Wed, 04 Jul 2012

Postby offshoreoildude » Fri, 19 Apr 2013 12:53 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
offshoreoildude wrote:My wife did Peace Corp. She loved it but wouldn't say it was a springboard (unless she really is a secret CIA agent).


Interestingly serving in the Peace Corp is a permanent disqualification from numerous CIA, FBI, State Dept, and other US Gov positions that require security clearances. I'm not sure if it is because the assumption is someone in the Peace Corp is a bleeding heart hippy that was likely already turned by foreign agents, or that they are trying to distance themselves from the Peace Corp as to keep them safe in hostile territories that may very well assume they're CIA agents.


Probably the latter. At any rate... the 'real' agents are not openly recruited.
Now I'm called PNGMK

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Fri, 19 Apr 2013 9:43 pm

Akimbo wrote: So the "volunteering" part is only putting a tree in the ground while posing for a photo and close it with a clump of dirt........where's the fun of humanitarian volunteering in that?

It's all supposed to be hard labor work with digging up holes in the ground, carrying the trees from a truck and planting them one by one and such...at the end of the day, that's where you get the satisfaction of your work. It's also exercise...

Kinda makes me wonder about the "Urban Farming" volunteering program that Sbux is planning on Sunday 28th April...

Disclaimer: I'm not affiliated with Sbux at all...just saw the small brochure while I ordered my coffee at Vivo's branch.


It's like the reef-census, it is facilitating spray-on philanthropic PR from which the 'EZY-facilitators' rake a fat profit. Since so many people/PLCs wish to be seen as green/eco/socially responsible/giving back to the community blah blah blah ( :roll: ) there is a thriving market for providing such philanthropy-lite activities and PR.

If Sbux were being truly charitable they'd give away a few million to local charities. But no, instead they want to engage a bunch of customers, most of whom wouldn't know one end of a fork from another, in the 'noble' manual labour of planting vegetables. Am I cycnical, in finding them terribly cynical? ...


Another example: ...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cows_on_Parade


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Travel & Holidays”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests