Singapore Expats

Why is there little central AC here?

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 17 Apr 2013 8:52 am

Riiiiight. But what was the point of movingtospore then?
(we have a slaveless household using benefits of the thermostats).

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 17 Apr 2013 8:55 am

I just did the 'when in rome thingy' works a treat. If I wanted the USofA I'd have stayed home. Works for me.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Wed, 17 Apr 2013 9:00 am

I'm not sure I get you. I didn't factor in water heating when deciding on the move. I find the water heating here (in my house) a little inconvenient and a little inefficient which coupled with my bathroom being on the third floor it's a pia to run up, switch it on and then wait or run back down. So I send my teenager. He is younger with longer legs.

But none of that is going to be a dealbreaker is it? I can imagine my husband's face if I told him he had to continue to commute here from the UK because I couldn't be arsed to heat water in advance. :D

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 17 Apr 2013 9:16 am

That's exactly why I use the "when in rome thingy". It's not a deal breaker but you are not in the good old USofA or the UK so things are naturally different. From one who has been here and in Asia for 31 years, if you sweat the little annoyances, you are going to make your life miserable. But, that's just my way of looking at it from a long time expat's point of view.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Wed, 17 Apr 2013 9:51 am

I think there is a big difference between noticing the differences and wondering why they are, whether it's custom or an actual reason, and deciding in your own mind which things work better (for you) and which don't and getting upset about it. Wondering why there's no instant hot water in parts of Scotland could be answered by saying because outside of cities there's no piped gas and very few, if any, oil powered combi boilers exist. Or you could say there just isn't, there never has been and that's not how it's done. Either is an answer.

But I'm certainly not sweating it, obsessing over it or making myself miserable about it. This is my 37th home and 4th international move in 11 years. Not long time expat but I have learned to not get upset. I learnt that one quickly.