Singapore Expats Forum

Local resentment at foreigners....get a life

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Tue, 16 Apr 2013 6:02 pm

Sergei82 wrote:Offtop.
I had a strange encounter recently in Tampines Mall waiting for lift around midnight (escalators are off already): father (around 50 yo) and son (around 20 yo). Both are trying to squeeze in an overcrowded lift, but there is a dilemma: only one of them can fit in without overloading the lift.
Son is backing off, father yells at him to come in, overload signal, son is backing off, father yells to come in ... the loop keeps going for some time.
Nobody in the lift wants to get out and "satisfy" the father at his/her own expense.


A kiasu-spiral

Father thinks: I can't get out, if I do I'd lose face.
Father says: Come on son, try again!
[The lift-overload alarm rings]
Father thinks: Now we have a situation, if I get out now I'll lose double face.
Father says: Come on son, give it another go!
... [repeat]

[Finally the son takes the initiative, that his father's ego would not consider; the son uses the stairs]

Father: [stone-faced look]: <Thinks> I have not lost face. I have not lost face. I have not lost face. Why is that girl behind me giggling? I have NOT lost face!

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 890
Joined: Mon, 02 Mar 2009

Postby morenangpinay » Tue, 16 Apr 2013 6:08 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:I think we all ought to pitch in and buy Sergei a can of Bixby Green body paint to just complete the picture. :lol:

On second thought make that Lou Lou Ferrigno green. :D


this must be the reason why he cant get a taxi.. :lol: wonder if sergei has been called up for avengers yet lol

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Tue, 16 Apr 2013 6:57 pm

morenangpinay wrote:this must be the reason why he cant get a taxi.. :lol:


Yeah makes sense, the drivers know that if they go 'the long way', Sergei is going to get angry, really angry.

:wink:

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Tue, 16 Apr 2013 7:28 pm

morenangpinay wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:I think we all ought to pitch in and buy Sergei a can of Bixby Green body paint to just complete the picture. :lol:

On second thought make that Lou Lou Ferrigno green. :D


this must be the reason why he cant get a taxi.. :lol: wonder if sergei has been called up for avengers yet lol


His buddy, Anthony, was busy making his movie.

movingtospore
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 699
Joined: Thu, 23 Jul 2009

Postby movingtospore » Tue, 16 Apr 2013 8:13 pm

Steve1960 wrote:I may be wrong, but what's wrong with able-bodied people using lifts? For example, I want to go to the 5th floor of a mall to run my errands or to catch a movie (cinema complex is usually at the top floor of a mall). Instead of going round and round up on escalators, I can just pop into a lift that will take me straight up.

And some malls have a very weird way of placing escalators at opposite ends of the mall, which makes everyone walk the entire length of the mall just to get up one floor.

But if I see those on wheelchairs, are old, or with strollers, I'd definitely let them take the elevators first.

And this is what finally caused me to crack after a year here. The honeymoon period is over haha

I now have no patience for people who cannot line up in a civilised manner at lift (elevator what's that? :wink: ) and push in front of me when I have my 2 year old daughter in the pushchair (stroller what's that? :wink: )

I went ballistic in Fair Price on Saturday. You should have seen the faces on the people in the lift as I ranted from outside. They must have been praying for the doors to close faster!!


I was never so glad as when my kids were out of strollers here. That is the one thing that bugged me the worst here. Empty escalator to the left, packed elevator in front and a pile of locals to lazy too take the long way round so that wheelchairs and strollers can use the lift. I asked someone to get off once so another stroller could get on. He did - he was so shocked someone said something.
Last edited by movingtospore on Tue, 16 Apr 2013 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Addadude
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 683
Joined: Fri, 26 May 2006
Location: Darkest Telok Blangah
Contact:

Postby Addadude » Tue, 16 Apr 2013 8:35 pm

On the topic of strollers, it really p!sses me off when impatient parents use their strollers (with their obviously terrified kid helplessly strapped inside) as a battering ram to force their way through crowds of people. And believe me I've seen plenty of expatriate parents doing this too.
"Both politicians and nappies need to be changed regularly, and for the same reasons."

movingtospore
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 699
Joined: Thu, 23 Jul 2009

Postby movingtospore » Tue, 16 Apr 2013 9:16 pm

Addadude wrote:On the topic of strollers, it really p!sses me off when impatient parents use their strollers (with their obviously terrified kid helplessly strapped inside) as a battering ram to force their way through crowds of people. And believe me I've seen plenty of expatriate parents doing this too.


Yes but what else are you supposed to do when people just won't get the F&*k out of the way? :wink:

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6837
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Tue, 16 Apr 2013 10:12 pm

Addadude wrote: (with their obviously terrified kid helplessly strapped inside)


I assure you my daughter is laughing and having a blast as we weave and wedge ourselves through parkway :P

User avatar
Brah
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1956
Joined: Sat, 18 Dec 2010

Postby Brah » Tue, 16 Apr 2013 10:59 pm

Hey, wasn't there a "Graciousness Campaign" just last week?

User avatar
Brah
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1956
Joined: Sat, 18 Dec 2010

Postby Brah » Tue, 16 Apr 2013 11:03 pm

movingtospore wrote:
Steve1960 wrote:I may be wrong, but what's wrong with able-bodied people using lifts? For example, I want to go to the 5th floor of a mall to run my errands or to catch a movie (cinema complex is usually at the top floor of a mall). Instead of going round and round up on escalators, I can just pop into a lift that will take me straight up.

And some malls have a very weird way of placing escalators at opposite ends of the mall, which makes everyone walk the entire length of the mall just to get up one floor.

But if I see those on wheelchairs, are old, or with strollers, I'd definitely let them take the elevators first.

And this is what finally caused me to crack after a year here. The honeymoon period is over haha

I now have no patience for people who cannot line up in a civilised manner at lift (elevator what's that? :wink: ) and push in front of me when I have my 2 year old daughter in the pushchair (stroller what's that? :wink: )

I went ballistic in Fair Price on Saturday. You should have seen the faces on the people in the lift as I ranted from outside. They must have been praying for the doors to close faster!!


I was never so glad as when my kids were out of strollers here. That is the one thing that bugged me the worst here. Empty escalator to the left, packed elevator in front and a pile of locals to lazy too take the long way round so that wheelchairs and strollers can use the lift. I asked someone to get off once so another stroller could get on. He did - he was so shocked someone said something.

Good for you both. Unfortunately this kind of thing has to happen but it has to happen.

The problem is thinking of them as adult adults, they're not, these types are adolescent children or adult children, and just need to be instructed, it's what they understand. They tend to follow. I got tired of waiting for them to wise up. A firm voice taking charge works every time.

Edit - sorry, I messed up the quotes. Twice. - corrected. mod
Last edited by Brah on Tue, 16 Apr 2013 11:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

User avatar
Brah
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1956
Joined: Sat, 18 Dec 2010

Postby Brah » Tue, 16 Apr 2013 11:05 pm

JR8 wrote:A kiasu-spiral

Father thinks: I can't get out, if I do I'd lose face.
Father says: Come on son, try again!
[The lift-overload alarm rings]
Father thinks: Now we have a situation, if I get out now I'll lose double face.
Father says: Come on son, give it another go!
... [repeat]

[Finally the son takes the initiative, that his father's ego would not consider; the son uses the stairs]

Father: [stone-faced look]: <Thinks> I have not lost face. I have not lost face. I have not lost face. Why is that girl behind me giggling? I have NOT lost face!

Too funny.

Here's what would have worked:

"Boy - get out or you'll cause your father to lose face!"


(everyone in the elevator nods to themselves...)

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9164
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Wed, 17 Apr 2013 7:11 am

Addadude wrote:On the topic of strollers, it really p!sses me off when impatient parents use their strollers (with their obviously terrified kid helplessly strapped inside) as a battering ram to force their way through crowds of people. And believe me I've seen plenty of expatriate parents doing this too.

Yes, that's a common mistake also for the reason the strollers are typically lightweight. Unfortunately they don't allow, excellent for ramming purpose, shopping carts everywhere and they don't fit typical middle-size car.

Steve1960
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1106
Joined: Mon, 13 Aug 2012
Location: Singapore

Postby Steve1960 » Wed, 17 Apr 2013 12:19 pm

x9200 wrote:
Addadude wrote:On the topic of strollers, it really p!sses me off when impatient parents use their strollers (with their obviously terrified kid helplessly strapped inside) as a battering ram to force their way through crowds of people. And believe me I've seen plenty of expatriate parents doing this too.


My kid, my wife and I are terrified of the idiots paying more attention to their mobile phones than the direction in which they are walking. Too many times I have not been able to avoid such people due to the crowds and they have tripped over the pushchair.

Maybe that is what you have actually seen. I have never seen a parent here using a pushchair as a battering ram, local or foreigner. If I feel the battering ram urge I ask my wife to push the baby and I walk in front of them casting aside people in all directions as I go :wink:

User avatar
Brah
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1956
Joined: Sat, 18 Dec 2010

Postby Brah » Wed, 17 Apr 2013 8:51 pm

Steve1960 wrote:I have never seen a parent here using a pushchair as a battering ram, local or foreigner. If I feel the battering ram urge I ask my wife to push the baby and I walk in front of them casting aside people in all directions as I go :wink:

Well I have - not a battering ram but somewhat less so.

While I always give way to those with baby carriages, I've seen some less than considerate of those around them with an air of entitlement. What they don't realize is that they come up on people quickly and unexpectedly and some of us don't see them out of the corner of our eye until we're right upon them.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests