Singapore Expats

Mandarin Immersion Private Schools

Discuss about childcare, parenthood, playschools, educational, family & international school issues.

Sponsored by:

Canadian International School
Roasted squid

Mandarin Immersion Private Schools

Post by Roasted squid » Mon, 15 Apr 2013 3:26 am

I am considering a position in Singapore but most worried about education for my two children. I will be coming from the US. My oldest is finishing 2nd grade and has been attending a Mandarin Immersion public school. 70% of his school day is in Mandarin, studying all subjects except for English and arts in Mandarin (e.g. Chinese language arts, math, science, social studies are in Mandarin). My younger one will be starting kindergarten in the fall and he attended Mandarin immersion preschool. He understands it well, but is lazy about speaking it. Kindergarten at the school he would be attending is 90% Mandarin.

I would hate for the kids to lose their Mandarin for an opportunity to live abroad and it's imperative that they maintain it so they can go back to the same program when we return in two or three years. Given how difficult it is to get into a public school from what I have read, I am wondering if there are any private schools with true Mandarin Immersion - more than 45 minutes a day. From the little internet searching I have done, Mandarin at most private school seem more like introduction to the language than attempt to get kids truly bilingual.

therat
Editor
Editor
Answers: 2

Post by therat » Mon, 15 Apr 2013 11:08 am

You will not find any public school that teaches Chinese language arts, math, science, social studies in Mandarin.

Singapore MOE has closed down all Chinese school by force from Primary school all the way to University during late 70s.

I remember during my primary school, I will get punished or fined if teacher caught me for speaking Mandarin in non-Chinese lesson or inside school area.
We are only allowed to speak Mandarin during Chinese lesson.

For those existing student will force to learn all lesson (science, maths, etc) in English when they start the new term. If you can't follow the lesson, too bad. you had to drop out from school.
Government will not care about you.

And certification from Nanyang University will not be recognized. That force alot of University grad jobless. Some went to business or find a job in Malaysia.

All school certification from Chinese school were not recognized.

That is the darkest period for Chinese school student and teacher.
Total elimination of Mandarin.

susiechow

Post by susiechow » Sun, 12 May 2013 4:57 pm

hi there
don't know if you still need help with chinese immersion schools but there are 2 International Schools here that adopt the bilingual method. 50% english and 50% mandarin. they are Chinese International School (CNIS) and Stamford American School (SAS). SAS has only 1 immersion class and there is a waitlist. It is easier to get into CNIS. the school is okay for the little guys but maybe not great for older kids. but yes, it is bilingual and the kids are getting 50% instruction in Mandarin. you can google the schools. good luck!

anmar

recommendations base on personal research of schools

Post by anmar » Tue, 14 May 2013 12:31 am

Hi. I read your post a few days ago and it's been on my mind since then... I had to help. I been living in Singapore as expat for 5 years now. for the past 3 years I have visited several International Schools and preschools trying to find something the best to fit my family so here is what I recommend.
They are many choices for International School but only a few offer TRULY Immersion in Mandarin. ( in the past 3 years many have begging to notice that the demand for Immersion program is high but most are still not up to the level.......although the offer is getting better>
The difference between public and private schools in Singapore is big and that is something that you will figure out living here!!.
As for public school I can not recommend any. As for private I will recommend the following.
Base on what you mention and the level of Mandarin that your daughter already has my recommendation is Chineise International School (CIS). They have a TRULLY immersion program that teaches at least 50% in Mandarin.
The school itself is not that pretty, but no other school can offer this level in Mandarin.
I had a friend from spain who had her kids at CIS and in 6months they were already talking in Mandarin.
Now if you want a more international feeling + all the extras !!!!, your next bet in my opinion is Canadian International School. HEre from grade 1 they get to choice 1 language (french or Mandarin) . teachers are native and madarin is teach daily. Many of the kids attending CIS already have a high level in Mandarin (this because they are comming from its sister preschool). Now to keep her level if attending CIS I will recommend to put her with a tutor at home, ( in Singapore are eassy to find and they come to your house
(15-50 sing per hour)... or they are many other extra curriculum options. Orange Mandarin @ Demsey, Julia Gabriel (Chengzhu Mandarin Centre)....etc.

For the little one I recommend you the same Chinese International School, although I don't remember if they have for so little ones,,,,, I think they do.
OR I recommend you Odyssey International Preschool or Ethon House. They offer immertion program in Madarin from 18 monthe to K2 (5-6years)
I have my children At Odyssey. At odyssey hey have in all the classes 1 English teacher, 1 Chinese and 1 to 3 teacher assistance per class.(all dep. on aged group.)
This means they always have one teacher native speaker in the classroom speacking to them only on mandarin. On top of that they teach them daily mandarin writing and reading. Many of the kids by K1 level understand all the teachers says to them and they are begying to talk back. also begging to read and write.
As for Ethon House I really have not seen so many native speaking teacher the times I visit the school , so I can not really say their level in mandarin.

Hope this info be of help.

Roasted squid

Post by Roasted squid » Thu, 16 May 2013 4:23 am

I found out that SAS only has immersion through 1st grade and they are increasing a grade a year as they find good teachers. My older one is just finishing 2nd grade here, so that is not an option. CIS is only 30% immersion and it's Chinese Language Arts, and not all subjects taught in Mandarin, like it is in the San Francisco program. Sigh. We will take a tour, though. We are still looking into local school options and will check out the kinders mentioned here for my younger ones. Thanks for your input.

mrsli

Post by mrsli » Sat, 07 Jun 2014 12:16 pm

I know this post is a year old already but I figured I would revive just in case there's new info to share. We have been struggling to get our kids fluent in Chinese since they were born here (oldest now 5 years old). Julia Gabriel has put together a 100% Mandarin preschool program that is currently hosted in their Chengzhu Mandarin Center. Hopefully it will evolve to a full preschool in it's own locale in the next year or two. Right now it is only N1-K1, but next year (2015) will start their first K2 class also. This program is run by Chinese people, with all Chinese teachers, in a lovely all Chinese environment. It will get your kids speaking Mandarin (and with a proper Chinese accent too). The depth of the language they get here is crazy, learning all sorts of details and such we could never have taught on our own. We have really been happy with the program. However, my son is in K1 this year and so we have been scouring resources to find the best way for him to keep up his Chinese after Chengzhu (and don't feel the local options are really options for us as foreigners). As the OP mentioned, we also found that CNIS was only 30% once they got to primary levels, which may be enough to get kids who don't have any Mandarin speaking, but we worried it may not be enough to maintain kids who already come from a strong Mandarin background. (Though I also heard they have 2 tracks, one for more advanced speakers? Also they apparently have a new principal, so things may be changing there.)

Right now we have our sights set on Etonhouse International School, Broadrick. While not a bilingual school, they do have one class per year which is a bilingual class, with EACH class being taught half in Mandarin, and half in English, with additional Mandarin language classes. From my understanding they put native speakers, kids with a strong Mandarin foundation, and those who have a real knack for languages in this class. Sounds good, but we don't actually know anyone who has been in this program who could vouch for it.

Anyone have any more information on Mandarin options in international education here?

Roasted squid

Post by Roasted squid » Mon, 09 Jun 2014 11:13 am

The Canadian school is starting a Chinese Immersion K1/K2/P1 next year. You should contact them

mrsli

Post by mrsli » Sun, 15 Jun 2014 2:27 am

Great, thanks for the lead! Did you end up coming out here to Singapore? How are your kids' Chinese doing?