Singapore Expats Forum

Help identify this building in Rochor/Singapore? What street

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.

Sponsored by:
Image
AE Logistics - Singapore Movers

GaryinPennsylvania
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun, 14 Apr 2013
Location: North East Pennsylvania

Help identify this building in Rochor/Singapore? What street

Postby GaryinPennsylvania » Sun, 14 Apr 2013 7:02 am

Greetings friendly folks of Singapore!

I am an architecture enthusiast and stumbled across a photo of a building online, but cannot locate where in Singapore.


Image


The only clue I have is that it was taken somewhere nearby the Tiong Bahru MRT. I do not know if that is one transit stop or multiple along Tiong Bahru Road.

Its shape and design is distinctive. So is the taller apartment building seen in the background.
I have been searching Google Maps and Google Earth trying to first locate that taller building with those unique curved/rounded balconies. Once the taller building is located, I can then reasonably locate this smaller one I am desiring.

Is this near you???
Any location information on either building is very much appreciated!

THANK YOU!
"Argue For Your Limitations, and sure enough they're yours." ~ Richard Bach

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1582
Joined: Wed, 04 Jul 2012

Postby offshoreoildude » Sun, 14 Apr 2013 10:06 am

It's possible it doesn't exist anymore (being a shorter building it may have been demolished for redevelopment). Singapore is actually a great place for architects to visit - much better than Tokyo/HK IMO.
Now I'm called PNGMK

Pal
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1203
Joined: Wed, 23 Jul 2003
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby Pal » Sun, 14 Apr 2013 10:18 am

The taller building is Regency Park located at Nathan Road:
http://condo.singaporeexpats.com/condo/ ... GENCY-PARK

I think the building in the foreground has already been demolished.
Last edited by Pal on Sun, 14 Apr 2013 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Singapore Expats

Home | Classifieds | Condo | Forum | Property
Image

Pal
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1203
Joined: Wed, 23 Jul 2003
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby Pal » Sun, 14 Apr 2013 10:29 am

The building in the foreground is Nathan Court (demolished) also located at Nathan Road:
http://condo.singaporeexpats.com/condo/ ... THAN-COURT

Go to the above line and click streetview.
Singapore Expats



Home | Classifieds | Condo | Forum | Property

Image

GaryinPennsylvania
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun, 14 Apr 2013
Location: North East Pennsylvania

Postby GaryinPennsylvania » Sun, 14 Apr 2013 11:16 am

Pal wrote:The building in the foreground is Nathan Court (demolished) also located at Nathan Road:
http://condo.singaporeexpats.com/condo/ ... THAN-COURT

Go to the above line and click streetview.


WOW! WOW!

Yes Sir! That's it!
You folks are good!

So....I can imagine if there is minimal lateral real estate remaining....It'd be logical to go up.

I have to admit....I spent many hours today absolutely enjoying my walk through Singapore via Google Streetview.
The city seems so fresh & new.
Your vegetation is so diverse and lush.
And I love the use of stand-out colors in your architecture!
I thoroughly enjoyed the time I was day-dreamingly transported to your lovely city today!
Admittedly - I'd be awfully cranky with your weather. I really don't care for hot hot temps nor high humidity. You can keep that!

Thanks for taking the time to locate that for me. I grabbed a few still-shots of it for my collection.

To reciprocate your kindness - Take a peek at my real estate.
I live tucked high in the Pocono Mountains or northeast Pennsylvania.
https://www.google.com/search?q=pocono+mountains&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=_BtqUaC2MLCB0QHltIH4CQ&biw=1280&bih=682&sei=_xtqUeILqMjSAfWFgYgM

Also - I didn't see too many examples in your city....but I'm particularly fond of so called 'Flat Iron' buildings. Triangular pizza-slice wedge shaped buildings. Examples - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_buildings_named_Flatiron_Building Those are more famous ones....but they're not uncommon across suburban and urban America.
If there are any nice flatiron buildings in your lovely Singapore, please share them.

Again - Have a beer on me, friend - to thank you for your consideration.

Gary in Pennsylvania
"Argue For Your Limitations, and sure enough they're yours." ~ Richard Bach

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9318
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Re: Help identify this building in Rochor/Singapore? What st

Postby x9200 » Sun, 14 Apr 2013 11:35 am

GaryinPennsylvania wrote:Its shape and design is distinctive. So is the taller apartment building seen in the background.

Actually, it looks like some time ago this concept was pretty popular around. There are few more buildings I believe based on it but they vary in terms of how far the balconies protrude and how "round" they are, etc.
For example, this is The Estoril condo:

Image

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1582
Joined: Wed, 04 Jul 2012

Postby offshoreoildude » Sun, 14 Apr 2013 11:44 am

Semicircle houses are a pain to furnish - that I know.

The flat iron ones can't be any better.
Now I'm called PNGMK

Pal
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1203
Joined: Wed, 23 Jul 2003
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Postby Pal » Sun, 14 Apr 2013 11:50 am

GaryinPennsylvania wrote:If there are any nice flatiron buildings in your lovely Singapore, please share them.


The Gateway:
http://www.google.com.sg/search?q=the+g ... rgfSq4DAAw
Singapore Expats



Home | Classifieds | Condo | Forum | Property

Image

GaryinPennsylvania
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun, 14 Apr 2013
Location: North East Pennsylvania

Postby GaryinPennsylvania » Sun, 14 Apr 2013 11:59 am

Pal wrote:
GaryinPennsylvania wrote:If there are any nice flatiron buildings in your lovely Singapore, please share them.


The Gateway:
http://www.google.com.sg/search?q=the+g ... rgfSq4DAAw


WOW!

Stunning!

That's more a straight razor than a flatiron!
Again - I really dig the Singapore soul introduced to the world as expressed through its architecture.

Now granted, I could be totally mind-numbed in that this architecture reflects NOTHING of the Singaporean spirit.......but it's fresh and beautiful nonetheless!

Thanks for sharing!!!!
"Argue For Your Limitations, and sure enough they're yours." ~ Richard Bach

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6842
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Re: Help identify this building in Rochor/Singapore? What st

Postby zzm9980 » Sun, 14 Apr 2013 12:40 pm

x9200 wrote:
GaryinPennsylvania wrote:Its shape and design is distinctive. So is the taller apartment building seen in the background.

Actually, it looks like some time ago this concept was pretty popular around. There are few more buildings I believe based on it but they vary in terms of how far the balconies protrude and how "round" they are, etc.
For example, this is The Estoril condo:

Image


I've seen a building or two that look like this (although much taller) amongst the older condos in East Coast. I know I can see one from Big Splash. I'll pay attention next time and post it here if I can figure out which one exactly it is.

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6842
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Sun, 14 Apr 2013 12:42 pm

GaryinPennsylvania wrote:
To reciprocate your kindness - Take a peek at my real estate.
I live tucked high in the Pocono Mountains or northeast Pennsylvania.
https://www.google.com/search?q=pocono+mountains&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=_BtqUaC2MLCB0QHltIH4CQ&biw=1280&bih=682&sei=_xtqUeILqMjSAfWFgYgM


We have goofy vastly overpriced concrete boxes in the sky, and you have amazing natural beauty. You're definitely getting the better deal.

Pal
Site Admin
Site Admin
Posts: 1203
Joined: Wed, 23 Jul 2003
Location: Singapore
Contact:

Re: Help identify this building in Rochor/Singapore? What st

Postby Pal » Sun, 14 Apr 2013 1:21 pm

zzm9980 wrote:I've seen a building or two that look like this (although much taller) amongst the older condos in East Coast. I know I can see one from Big Splash. I'll pay attention next time and post it here if I can figure out which one exactly it is.


I think you are referring to Hawaii Tower at Meyer Road:
http://condo.singaporeexpats.com/condo/822/HAWAII-TOWER
Singapore Expats



Home | Classifieds | Condo | Forum | Property

Image

GaryinPennsylvania
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun, 14 Apr 2013
Location: North East Pennsylvania

Postby GaryinPennsylvania » Sun, 14 Apr 2013 1:27 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
GaryinPennsylvania wrote:
To reciprocate your kindness - Take a peek at my real estate.
I live tucked high in the Pocono Mountains or northeast Pennsylvania.
https://www.google.com/search?q=pocono+mountains&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=_BtqUaC2MLCB0QHltIH4CQ&biw=1280&bih=682&sei=_xtqUeILqMjSAfWFgYgM


We have goofy vastly overpriced concrete boxes in the sky, and you have amazing natural beauty. You're definitely getting the better deal.


HA! Yes, my friend....you may be correct.
I wish to marry not-so-squished-together 'boxes in the sky' with our gorgeous uninterrupted woodland views.

You folks have mastered the art of 'More-with-less'. Translate that (which likely means lower operating cost) into my mountain-range landscape........well, you've got a winner!
Your architecture is warm. Airy. Inviting. Similar to the Dutch architecture I'm familiar with.
Put that into God's gift of nature.......that = WIN!
"Argue For Your Limitations, and sure enough they're yours." ~ Richard Bach

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35159
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 14 Apr 2013 4:38 pm

Ahhhh, The Poconos, Love the area. I'm a Marylander but had rellies up there many years ago. Have spent a lot of time in hills of Pennsyltucky. ;-)

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Re: Help identify this building in Rochor/Singapore? What st

Postby JR8 » Sun, 14 Apr 2013 4:44 pm

x9200 wrote:
GaryinPennsylvania wrote:Its shape and design is distinctive. So is the taller apartment building seen in the background.

Actually, it looks like some time ago this concept was pretty popular around. There are few more buildings I believe based on it but they vary in terms of how far the balconies protrude and how "round" they are, etc.
For example, this is The Estoril condo:


Continuing the theme how about the (now demolished) Concourse building on Beach Road...


https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&sit ... kSniszB-M0

re: Flatiron type wedge buildings. IIRC sharp angles are bad fung shwei*. When I was in banking down at Raffles Place, the trading floor faced the 'pointy' end of a wedge building a hundred metres+ away. The local traders all had fung shwei reflectors on the windows to 'stop their money being drained away'.

The OP should understand that in SG a building that is say 100 years old is positively historic and must be preserved. But a building that is say 25, is positively outdated and must be torn down to make way for something new and (often) bigger.

p.s. https://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&biw= ... a=N&tab=il
The pointy Gateway Buildings. They are surrounded by lots of vacant land. That's bad feng shiu for you, shpooky! ;)

*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feng_shui


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Staying, Living in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests