Singapore Expats

Need help to look for a room to rent

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
GrégoireR

Need help to look for a room to rent

Post by GrégoireR » Fri, 12 Apr 2013 9:00 pm

Hello,

I'm a French student currently in exchange at NUS and I'd like to stay after the end of the semester in Singapore for an internship. I am currently staying on campus, but as I am not a full time student, I am not allowed to stay there during the vacation, that is why I am looking for a room to rent from May to July.

So I'd like to know if ever you had some advice or information to help me in my research! I'm looking for a single room, with wifi, access to a bathroom and a kitchen. I'd like to pay less than 500 SGD/month.

Thanking you in advance!

PS: I have already post a similar topic yesterday, but I think it has been removed, I don't know exactly why, so that's why I've changed it a bit, please let me know if it doesn't fit with the rules of the forum.

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Fri, 12 Apr 2013 9:32 pm

Even if you raise your budget to S$800-1000/month (which is the current rate for sublet rooms), you'll have to be lucky to find anything. Singapore landlords do not like to rent out for such a short time, and in fact it is also not allowed for shorter than six months in most cases.
An alternative are Serviced Apartments (starting from S$2000/month) or cheap hotels (S$60-80/night).

taxico
Director
Director

Re: Need help to look for a room to rent

Post by taxico » Fri, 12 Apr 2013 9:41 pm

because this is illegal:
GrégoireR wrote:...I am looking for a room to rent from May to July...
you might want to look into asking your school mates, putting up notices on campus, and looking at maybe a cheap motel (?) - the rates are i think 20-30 bucks a night.

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Fri, 12 Apr 2013 10:28 pm

taxico wrote:maybe a cheap motel (?) - the rates are i think 20-30 bucks a night.
You'll get a bed in a dormitory at that price, not a room.

taxico
Director
Director

Post by taxico » Fri, 12 Apr 2013 10:32 pm

ah, s'what i meant. dorm! not motel. good luck, OP!

x9200

Post by x9200 » Fri, 12 Apr 2013 10:33 pm

beppi wrote:
taxico wrote:maybe a cheap motel (?) - the rates are i think 20-30 bucks a night.
You'll get a bed in a dormitory at that price, not a room.
Some people have been reporting such prices in the Gaylang area not that long ago and the hotel was said to be acceptable.

ETA: http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/ftopic68161.html ($35-39, 2 hotels)
Last edited by x9200 on Fri, 12 Apr 2013 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 12 Apr 2013 10:41 pm

NUS should be guiding you on this, it has to be a regular question put to them.

I wonder if there is an NUS-specific web forum? That would be a honey-pot for you and other people in your position!

p.s. If you do find one, pls post a link in this topic please, to benefit others in your shoes in future!

GrégoireR

Post by GrégoireR » Fri, 12 Apr 2013 10:44 pm

Oh, indeed, I get that advertising was illegal, but I'm just asking for advice :?
Thank you for the answer, I have already asked to my schoolmates but usually they don't know much about it! I think I'm going to put notice on campus.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 12 Apr 2013 10:51 pm

GrégoireR wrote:Oh, indeed, I get that advertising was illegal, but I'm just asking for advice :?
Thank you for the answer, I have already asked to my schoolmates but usually they don't know much about it! I think I'm going to put notice on campus.
What he was talking about being illegal was renting for only two months. It's illegal to rent for less than 6 months in Singapore. Therefore it only leaves you the option of hostels, backpacker hotels, or budget hotels (at the rates you are looking for).
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

GrégoireR

Post by GrégoireR » Fri, 12 Apr 2013 10:59 pm

Ah ok. Really? Because I have some friends who are renting rooms for less than 6 months - and I have called an agency this afternoon and they told me anything about it...

I've asked to NUS and they send me the names of student hostels but they only accept students for 1 year or it is very expensive when you ask for three months.

beppi
Manager
Manager

Post by beppi » Fri, 12 Apr 2013 11:02 pm

It being illegal does not mean it's never done.
(Maybe the landlord is a relative of the tenant?)

And: You just learnt something about the honesty of Singapore property agents - they'd do anything if it earns them a commission, incl. leading you on an illegal path (knowingly, because this is included in their compulsory training)!

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 12 Apr 2013 11:06 pm

GrégoireR wrote:Ah ok. Really? Because I have some friends who are renting rooms for less than 6 months - and I have called an agency this afternoon and they told me anything about it...

I've asked to NUS and they send me the names of student hostels but they only accept students for 1 year or it is very expensive when you ask for three months.
SMS is absolutely right.

Your friends are in illegal sub-lets. Their tenancy agreements have not been stamped with government stamp-duty stamps have they?

What is this agency called, it would be helpful if we could look at their website. Then we can advise you better.

GrégoireR

Post by GrégoireR » Fri, 12 Apr 2013 11:13 pm

I think it's not really a brick & mortar agency, simply someone who makes the link between people looking for rooms and people having rooms to rent.
I don't even know the name of the agence, I have just found a phone number on an ad on http://www.ibilik.sg/

I have also called this guy here:
http://www.singapuraroom.blogspot.sg/
He is working for DWG and he didn't even told me that I was looking for something illegal.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 13 Apr 2013 2:53 am

ibilik:
'We will handle the promotion, online booking, and payment collection of your property, while you just sit back and wait for guest checking in to your place. Post a short term rental and start earning cash now!'

Oh wow, day-rates/stays, this is so totally illegal, I'm surprised it hasn't been closed down simply on the basis of being a 'facilitator'.

At least the 2nd link appears to be offering tenancies, rather than daily rates....

Just my 2c.

GrégoireR

Post by GrégoireR » Sat, 13 Apr 2013 12:36 pm

Ok. Do you think I should avoid using these websites?