Singapore Expats Forum

Singapore surprises

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.

Sponsored by:
Image
AE Logistics - Singapore Movers

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 996
Joined: Tue, 22 Jan 2013

Postby Hannieroo » Tue, 16 Apr 2013 1:36 pm

I believe you now you've put it in bold.

If the fines were working there would be no crap lying around. There is, so the fines might be reducing the litter but not as much as teaching somebody to be considerate from a young age. I get the feeling people only do as they should if they think they are being watched.

BedokAmerican
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 436
Joined: Tue, 15 Jan 2013

Postby BedokAmerican » Tue, 16 Apr 2013 3:29 pm

Hannieroo wrote:But the fines aren't working. People shouldn't need fining anyway, it's a basic social function.

I have noticed my 5 year old has better aim than some of the workmen I have had in. FFS clean it up.

I am surprised that the most dangerous drivers on the roads appear to be not SG and going by the stickers on the cars I saw today not European either. People that hesitant shouldn't be driving.


I don't feel very safe here as a pedestrian. Trying to cross a street at a crosswalk, is very scary. I still haven't figured out if pedestrians have right-of-way.

But as far as being safe here in other ways, there's not much violent crime and that's great. I also don't feel as if I have to keep both hands on my belongings at all times like I would elsewhere, and that's wonderful.

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6837
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Tue, 16 Apr 2013 3:53 pm

BedokAmerican wrote: I still haven't figured out if pedestrians have right-of-way.


By the letter of the law, only in the zebra crossing. But you wouldn't know that by the way drivers fly into them with no regard for you.

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Tue, 16 Apr 2013 3:58 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
BedokAmerican wrote: I still haven't figured out if pedestrians have right-of-way.


By the letter of the law, only in the zebra crossing. But you wouldn't know that by the way drivers fly into them with no regard for you.


I am not exaggerating this: you're halfway through a zebra crossing with the green light on for you and they will not slow down for you.

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6837
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Tue, 16 Apr 2013 4:04 pm

nakatago wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:
BedokAmerican wrote: I still haven't figured out if pedestrians have right-of-way.


By the letter of the law, only in the zebra crossing. But you wouldn't know that by the way drivers fly into them with no regard for you.


I am not exaggerating this: you're halfway through a zebra crossing with the green light on for you and they will not slow down for you.


The ones with the blinking yellow lights through the turning lanes are even worse. They'll fly up at full speed when you're centimeters away, and come to an abrupt stop right in front of you as they have to yield to complete their turn, totally blocking your path. I really want to give their cars a good kick or nice smack as I'm forced to walk around. Knowing my luck it'll be an MP though and I'll get deported.

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 996
Joined: Tue, 22 Jan 2013

Postby Hannieroo » Tue, 16 Apr 2013 8:58 pm

I'm surprised at the lack of road safety. People don't use boosters, they strap themselves in but have their toddlers loose on their lap. Do they honestly think they will be able to keep hold of them in a crash? That they wont crush them? And no lights on bikes. That one is pissing me off.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34783
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 16 Apr 2013 9:09 pm

BedokAmerican wrote:
I don't feel very safe here as a pedestrian. Trying to cross a street at a crosswalk, is very scary. I still haven't figured out if pedestrians have right-of-way.


Yes they do, but it's kind of a moot point after you have been flattened by an SBS Bus or Cement Mixer truck. :-|

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6837
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Tue, 16 Apr 2013 10:08 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
BedokAmerican wrote:
I don't feel very safe here as a pedestrian. Trying to cross a street at a crosswalk, is very scary. I still haven't figured out if pedestrians have right-of-way.


Yes they do, but it's kind of a moot point after you have been flattened by an SBS Bus or Cement Mixer truck. :-|


At least you'll die knowing the driver will pay a heavy fine (not that your family will get any of it) and may lose his license for a couple of years. If he's a foreigner at least. :cool:

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6837
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Tue, 16 Apr 2013 10:09 pm

Hannieroo wrote:I'm surprised at the lack of road safety. People don't use boosters, they strap themselves in but have their toddlers loose on their lap. Do they honestly think they will be able to keep hold of them in a crash? That they wont crush them? And no lights on bikes. That one is pissing me off.


I believe child safety seats of any kind were just mandated about two years ago. You still don't need them in taxis. You know, because children are magically safer in taxis. They never get into accidents. :cool:

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 996
Joined: Tue, 22 Jan 2013

Postby Hannieroo » Tue, 16 Apr 2013 10:24 pm

I think under 135 in the front of a taxi they have to. But have to? I don't get it, I half understood the Insha'Allah thing but why would you not keep your child safe? Just because you want to.

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1582
Joined: Wed, 04 Jul 2012

Postby offshoreoildude » Tue, 16 Apr 2013 10:34 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
nakatago wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:
BedokAmerican wrote: I still haven't figured out if pedestrians have right-of-way.


By the letter of the law, only in the zebra crossing. But you wouldn't know that by the way drivers fly into them with no regard for you.


I am not exaggerating this: you're halfway through a zebra crossing with the green light on for you and they will not slow down for you.


The ones with the blinking yellow lights through the turning lanes are even worse. They'll fly up at full speed when you're centimeters away, and come to an abrupt stop right in front of you as they have to yield to complete their turn, totally blocking your path. I really want to give their cars a good kick or nice smack as I'm forced to walk around. Knowing my luck it'll be an MP though and I'll get deported.


It's the nonesense of having green turning arrows for cars on at the same time the green walking man is on. Other first world advanced countries lock down the entire crossing in all directions - which of course allows pedestrians to cross diagonally as well. Stupid LTA.
Now I'm called PNGMK

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Tue, 16 Apr 2013 10:46 pm

offshoreoildude wrote:It's the nonesense of having green turning arrows for cars on at the same time the green walking man is on. Other first world advanced countries lock down the entire crossing in all directions - which of course allows pedestrians to cross diagonally as well. Stupid LTA.


Both the US and Germany have 'right on red'* traffic laws.

However truly 1st world countries like England would never dream of implementing such a policy :P

* Or what ever it is > you can filter through a red to your near-side if the way is clear.

p.s. Blimey Hannieroo, your honeymoon period came to an early and abrupt halt!

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 996
Joined: Tue, 22 Jan 2013

Postby Hannieroo » Tue, 16 Apr 2013 10:51 pm

Sadly, realists never get a honeymoon period. But they don't go postal either.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34783
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 16 Apr 2013 10:59 pm

JR8, with the animosity around here anymore, things are a wee bit different than when you left. It doesn't take long for the honeymoon to be over any more.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Tue, 16 Apr 2013 11:08 pm

Excellent, I look forward to dishing out a bit of re-education then ;)


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Staying, Living in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests