Singapore Expats Forum

Do kids of employees at int'l schools get tuition breaks?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

BedokAmerican
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 436
Joined: Tue, 15 Jan 2013

Do kids of employees at int'l schools get tuition breaks?

Postby BedokAmerican » Thu, 11 Apr 2013 2:17 pm

Does anybody know if children whose parents work at an International School get a discount on tuition? If so, what type of discount?

It might vary from school to school, but I'd welcome any experience/feedback/knowledge on this topic.

Thank you.

User avatar
gonzales
Regular
Regular
Posts: 107
Joined: Sat, 24 May 2008
Location: Singapore, Wild West

Postby gonzales » Thu, 11 Apr 2013 2:32 pm

I believe they do (in some cases at least) but I can't put a number on it.

Thinking of taking up teaching to ease the burden? Good call.

scarbowl
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 381
Joined: Mon, 19 Oct 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby scarbowl » Thu, 11 Apr 2013 4:47 pm

I believe UWC gives a 50% break.

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1582
Joined: Wed, 04 Jul 2012

Postby offshoreoildude » Thu, 11 Apr 2013 5:01 pm

Some schools allow a certain no of kids to attend for free. CIS does and ICS does I believe. (This applies to teachers - not sure about admin stafff).
Now I'm called PNGMK

User avatar
gonzales
Regular
Regular
Posts: 107
Joined: Sat, 24 May 2008
Location: Singapore, Wild West

Postby gonzales » Fri, 12 Apr 2013 11:25 am

That's quite a good perk, assuming the base pay is competitive.

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1582
Joined: Wed, 04 Jul 2012

Postby offshoreoildude » Fri, 12 Apr 2013 11:37 am

gonzales wrote:That's quite a good perk, assuming the base pay is competitive.


It's not. IME the housing allowances are dreadfully inadequate and the pay is a lifestyle pay... (i.e. come over to Asia, work a few years and then go home after having fun). Only the serious schools (SAS, Tanglin Trust) pay a decent wage.
Now I'm called PNGMK

User avatar
gonzales
Regular
Regular
Posts: 107
Joined: Sat, 24 May 2008
Location: Singapore, Wild West

Postby gonzales » Fri, 12 Apr 2013 11:39 am

Still though, think of the holidays.

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1582
Joined: Wed, 04 Jul 2012

Postby offshoreoildude » Fri, 12 Apr 2013 12:53 pm

gonzales wrote:Still though, think of the holidays.


That's fine is both parts of a couple are teachers and the kids schooling is in sync.

In my case my US wife has school holidays that are out of sync with my SC son and I of course only get four weeks leave so it's all messed up trying to organise a family vacation.
Now I'm called PNGMK

BedokAmerican
Chatter
Chatter
Posts: 436
Joined: Tue, 15 Jan 2013

Postby BedokAmerican » Sun, 14 Apr 2013 8:53 pm

gonzales wrote:I believe they do (in some cases at least) but I can't put a number on it.

Thinking of taking up teaching to ease the burden? Good call.


Well, my child is only a year old, but if we are still here in a few years, I'd like him to be able to attend school. I have a teaching license from the U.S. that expired many years ago so I probably couldn't work as a teacher. I was thinking maybe I would be able to work as a teacher's assistant, but I haven't looked into anything at this point except for browsing some int'l school web sites. However, school web sites don't list tuition breaks as a benefit (but according to some of your responses, that doesn't mean discounts aren't offered).

But from what I understand, the International Schools are preferred by expats but they're very pricey. Of course, local schools are an option, as is homeschooling.

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1582
Joined: Wed, 04 Jul 2012

Postby offshoreoildude » Sun, 14 Apr 2013 9:58 pm

BedokAmerican wrote:
gonzales wrote:I believe they do (in some cases at least) but I can't put a number on it.

Thinking of taking up teaching to ease the burden? Good call.


Well, my child is only a year old, but if we are still here in a few years, I'd like him to be able to attend school. I have a teaching license from the U.S. that expired many years ago so I probably couldn't work as a teacher. I was thinking maybe I would be able to work as a teacher's assistant, but I haven't looked into anything at this point except for browsing some int'l school web sites. However, school web sites don't list tuition breaks as a benefit (but according to some of your responses, that doesn't mean discounts aren't offered).

But from what I understand, the International Schools are preferred by expats but they're very pricey. Of course, local schools are an option, as is homeschooling.


Do you have experience? The lower int'l schools don't care too much about up to date licenses....

You won't make enough as an assistant or relief (maybe just on P/T tho) to qualify for a work pass (unless you're a DP on LOC).

The arrangement is basically a 'standard' arrangement understood by the International School community but yes, you'd have to check it out.

My wife is taking a job in August that will get our youngest into their school so I'm not talking out of my ass (I'll update this thread if I am).
Now I'm called PNGMK

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1582
Joined: Wed, 04 Jul 2012

Postby offshoreoildude » Mon, 15 Apr 2013 7:04 pm

In my wife's interview today it was confirmed that our SC daughter can attend FOC as part of the job T&C.

HOWEVER; to put this into context her pay will be about $4k a month as she is considered a 'local' due to being a dependent of mine (an SPR).

So where does this leave us. Schools offering a place to teachers is;

1. A benefit if you're here and your child's tuition is not covered by your employer (which is our case). So yes - it saves me USD$240000.

2. Not an abnormal benefit for an expat - all expats usually have their kids covered but we aren't expats - more like accidental SPRs. However I believe in my case I could have put an argument to my employer to cover my daughter if we moved out of Singapore, but not in Singapore as the little girl is an SC.

3. Not really worth moving into teaching for on it's if you have ANY other career that can pay > $6k a month and you only have one child (12 x 2k = 24k). Most schools limit the benefit to one kid per teaching parent (in our case - one).
Now I'm called PNGMK


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Careers & Jobs in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests