Singapore Expats Forum

Singapore v/s Poland v/s Bangalore

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 3936
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012
Location: SIndiapore

Singapore v/s Poland v/s Bangalore

Postby Wd40 » Wed, 10 Apr 2013 8:23 pm

A major Investment bank is moving its IT jobs from Singapore to Wroclaw, Poland and India.

I know how India is but didnt know much about Poland.

Just did some comparison on cost of living in the wonderful site called Numbeo

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/co ... y2=Wroclaw

http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/co ... =Bangalore

Really shocking. The salaries in Poland are as pathetic as Bangalore and the purchasing power in Bangalore 50% higher than Poland. Its time for Indians to go back to India rather than stay in Singapore or move to Poland

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6842
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Thu, 11 Apr 2013 9:26 am

If everything was by the numbers, then yes living in India (or anywhere in the third world) is the way to go. There are numerous soft qualities to any given place you live that can't easily be quantified. I'll throw a few things out there though:

Traffic? Bangalore traffic is truly terrible enough to avoid living there. And I'm not saying this as an armchair analyst with Wikipedia and Google; I've spent weeks at a time there, have commuted to/from office in all parts of the city from the middle, have gone to/from the airport often enough that I seriously considered asking ITC how much the helicopter transfer was, and have lost days of my life on the Mysore-Bangalore "Highway".

Crime? This is purely anecdotal, but not too many stories coming out of Europe of women being gang-raped with rusted iron rebar. Heck, Europeans feel safe enough that they think they can bicycle and camp across the country-side ;)

I'm willing to bet that if you asked random non-Indian people anywhere in the world where they would rather live, Europe or India, four out of five would pick Europe. If you showed them those numbers, few would likely change their mind.

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6842
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Thu, 11 Apr 2013 9:32 am

Plus, Wroclaw has a nice old-world charm that appeals to me compared to b'lore.

Maybe that's just my western-centric opinion though.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image[/img]

User avatar
gonzales
Regular
Regular
Posts: 107
Joined: Sat, 24 May 2008
Location: Singapore, Wild West

Postby gonzales » Thu, 11 Apr 2013 10:11 am

I've never been to Poland but its a no brainer 1st preference in my opinion.

Balgalore? No thank you.

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 3936
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012
Location: SIndiapore

Postby Wd40 » Thu, 11 Apr 2013 10:15 am

ZZM, I dont know from where you got those pictures. You are clearly biased.

Do this as a fair comparison:
Go to www.google.com
Type in "Bangalore"
click images

http://www.google.com.sg/search?q=banga ... 20&bih=996

Those kind of slums that you have posted can be found in any city, even KL, Manila, jakarta and Bangkok
Last edited by Wd40 on Thu, 11 Apr 2013 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 3936
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012
Location: SIndiapore

Postby Wd40 » Thu, 11 Apr 2013 10:20 am

zzm9980 wrote:If everything was by the numbers, then yes living in India (or anywhere in the third world) is the way to go. There are numerous soft qualities to any given place you live that can't easily be quantified. I'll throw a few things out there though:

Traffic? Bangalore traffic is truly terrible enough to avoid living there. And I'm not saying this as an armchair analyst with Wikipedia and Google; I've spent weeks at a time there, have commuted to/from office in all parts of the city from the middle, have gone to/from the airport often enough that I seriously considered asking ITC how much the helicopter transfer was, and have lost days of my life on the Mysore-Bangalore "Highway".

Crime? This is purely anecdotal, but not too many stories coming out of Europe of women being gang-raped with rusted iron rebar. Heck, Europeans feel safe enough that they think they can bicycle and camp across the country-side ;)

I'm willing to bet that if you asked random non-Indian people anywhere in the world where they would rather live, Europe or India, four out of five would pick Europe. If you showed them those numbers, few would likely change their mind.


You clearly and conviniently missed my point in the post. I said "its time for Indians to go back to India"

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 996
Joined: Tue, 22 Jan 2013

Postby Hannieroo » Thu, 11 Apr 2013 10:33 am

Life isn't just money though. How do the two compare for crime, job opportunities for dependants, appropriate and affordable education, healthcare, general safety, pollution, traffic and women's rights*?

I'm not picking. I'm genuinely wondering. I shall look today whilst I spend yet another day in with the workmen.

* not being controversial but somewhere which does not overly respect women or provide them with equal opps might not be attractive to somebody with a wife and daughters.

bgd
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1392
Joined: Wed, 25 Jul 2007

Postby bgd » Thu, 11 Apr 2013 10:46 am

Wroclaw also has Polish girls 8-)

Singapore was once a low cost option for international banks, probably just as attractive as Wroclaw is now. I wonder how long that will last.

vink2
Regular
Regular
Posts: 140
Joined: Mon, 14 Jan 2013

Postby vink2 » Thu, 11 Apr 2013 1:30 pm

bgd wrote:Singapore was once a low cost option for international banks, probably just as attractive as Wroclaw is now. I wonder how long that will last.


Let me tell you about Poland because I know a lot:

a) Poland is huge country compare to Singapore and property prices will not rise so fast.
b) Poland has great infrastructure, it is developed European country.
c) Poland in European Union, meaning that staff will not require visas to travel to customers (UK or Switzerland).
d) Education in Poland is very good, the same like in UK and the rest of Europe, or better.
e) Poland is very safe country and has great places to explore.
f) Salaries are not so high and I may tell you why: because country was in a transition state from socialism to democracy.
Last edited by vink2 on Thu, 11 Apr 2013 1:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.

vink2
Regular
Regular
Posts: 140
Joined: Mon, 14 Jan 2013

Postby vink2 » Thu, 11 Apr 2013 1:32 pm

bgd wrote:Wroclaw also has Polish girls 8-)


I don't think that you have any chances in Europe with girls, especially with Polish, because they are very conservative and religious.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 35178
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 11 Apr 2013 1:33 pm

^^^

](*,) #-o

vink2
Regular
Regular
Posts: 140
Joined: Mon, 14 Jan 2013

Postby vink2 » Thu, 11 Apr 2013 1:34 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:^^^

](*,) #-o


I'm from that region :P

vink2
Regular
Regular
Posts: 140
Joined: Mon, 14 Jan 2013

Postby vink2 » Thu, 11 Apr 2013 1:41 pm

Its time for Indians to go back to India rather than stay in Singapore or move to Poland


So if you believe in plain figures, just do it.

You almost have zero chances in Europe, because just in the nearest Ukraine they have the largest in Europe IT pool to hire also from other Investment Banks: Barclays, HSBC, etc.

vink2
Regular
Regular
Posts: 140
Joined: Mon, 14 Jan 2013

Postby vink2 » Thu, 11 Apr 2013 1:43 pm

zzm9980, Just open Google street view and put a yellow man on Poland map, the country is on par with New Zealand.

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6842
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Thu, 11 Apr 2013 2:42 pm

Wd40 wrote:Those kind of slums that you have posted can be found in any city, even KL, Manila, jakarta and Bangkok


But not in Poland.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests