Singapore Expats Forum

Best Pet couriers?

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:
Image
The Club Residences

benmark2
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue, 09 Apr 2013
Location: Thomson Green, Singapore

Best Pet couriers?

Postby benmark2 » Tue, 09 Apr 2013 7:55 pm

Need help in choosing best courier to bring my dog over to Singapore. Who did you use and which one is the best? Can anyone help please. xx

benmark2
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue, 09 Apr 2013
Location: Thomson Green, Singapore

Re: Best Pet couriers?

Postby benmark2 » Tue, 09 Apr 2013 7:56 pm

benmark2 wrote:Need help in choosing best courier to bring my dog over to Singapore. Who did you use and which one is the best? Can anyone help please. xx
Im in the UK

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 996
Joined: Tue, 22 Jan 2013

Postby Hannieroo » Tue, 09 Apr 2013 8:05 pm

We used Peter's Pets for our very old lab mix. No complaints at all, went without a hitch. Don't know where you are coming from in the UK but I have used one in Yorkshire, one near Gatwick and one in Scotland (the move here) and they were all good.

benmark2
Newbie
Newbie
Posts: 4
Joined: Tue, 09 Apr 2013
Location: Thomson Green, Singapore

Postby benmark2 » Tue, 09 Apr 2013 8:55 pm

Hannieroo wrote:We used Peter's Pets for our very old lab mix. No complaints at all, went without a hitch. Don't know where you are coming from in the UK but I have used one in Yorkshire, one near Gatwick and one in Scotland (the move here) and they were all good.
Thnx ...Im in Leigh on Sea about 55 min from London

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 996
Joined: Tue, 22 Jan 2013

Postby Hannieroo » Tue, 09 Apr 2013 9:09 pm

We used Ladyhaye in Surrey. They shipped out our dog and his late sister from Hull to Houston and shipped in a rescue dog from Houston to Gatwick. No problems at all either time, really good service.

maidsrch
Member
Member
Posts: 35
Joined: Tue, 28 Feb 2012

Postby maidsrch » Wed, 10 Apr 2013 5:41 pm

I used Pet Hotel in Singapore to transport my 2 dogs from India. I handled all the paperwork required in India, and Pet Hotel took care of the Singapore paperwork/quarantine.

I dealt with a guy named Ken. Professional and prompt with replies. Gave us a call once our dogs came in to the airport and got their shot. Peace of mind!

stuckmojo
Regular
Regular
Posts: 80
Joined: Mon, 18 Mar 2013

Postby stuckmojo » Fri, 12 Apr 2013 9:35 pm

Hi,

I am interested in this too, as I will be moving my cat and dog. I am from the north of England.

Any ideas regarding costs?

I've heard some eye watering figures so far.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 996
Joined: Tue, 22 Jan 2013

Postby Hannieroo » Sat, 13 Apr 2013 10:09 am

We've used Ladyhaye from Yorkshire, i think they are in Bradford or Barnsley and pick them up and transport them down. Most recently we used Pet Travel Services in Dunfermline (don't know how north you are) and they were good. They are a transport service from a vets so all the stuff that needs to be done in the last few days they just do and they don't charge you for the three days boarding. Both will pick up from your home.

It depends on the weight of your pets. I can't see it being much less than 4k basing that on an average cat and 40 ish pounds dog.

Looking at it you can do it yourself, I wouldn't think twice about moving mine on my own to some countries but here the policy is if you get it wrong they put them in quarantine (fair enough) but if there is no space in quarantine they send them back or euthanise. Which are big stakes. You could do it yourself with an agent this end to apply for the permits but that won't save on flights which are very expensive.

I'm sure you are aware but as part of the permit to import you do have to have a letter from your landlord stating they are ok with it so you will have to factor in a homefinding trip or boarding at place of origin until you get sorted.

stuckmojo
Regular
Regular
Posts: 80
Joined: Mon, 18 Mar 2013

Postby stuckmojo » Sat, 13 Apr 2013 5:03 pm

Thanks for the advice Hannieroo.

I will use an agent as I won't risk anything for the pets.

If the cost is high, I will just take it on the chin.

My plan is to move into a Serviced Apartment for 1 month, find a house, get the letter and get wife to send pets once I move in. Or something like that.

I have time since I won't move until November but I'd rather sort stuff out now.

Thanks again

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 996
Joined: Tue, 22 Jan 2013

Postby Hannieroo » Sat, 13 Apr 2013 5:07 pm

That's pretty much how we did it, I sent the dog off to the shippers a few days before I flew and joined husband and then he arrived after I had been here a week to give us time to get over jetlag. It was painless all round.

Just in case you aren't aware because I wasn't the first time I took my pets somewhere with this climate, Singapore is a Heartworm country. This can be fatal to pets or at the very least makes them very poorly, causes pulmonary damage and has an arduous (arsenic based) and expensive treatment. Easily avoided with either HW tablets that you get from the vet or a yearly injection. It's spread by mosquitoes but there is a grace period, providing you cover them within a month of landing you'll be fine.

Good luck with it all.

stuckmojo
Regular
Regular
Posts: 80
Joined: Mon, 18 Mar 2013

Postby stuckmojo » Mon, 15 Apr 2013 3:01 pm

Hannieroo wrote:That's pretty much how we did it, I sent the dog off to the shippers a few days before I flew and joined husband and then he arrived after I had been here a week to give us time to get over jetlag. It was painless all round.

Just in case you aren't aware because I wasn't the first time I took my pets somewhere with this climate, Singapore is a Heartworm country. This can be fatal to pets or at the very least makes them very poorly, causes pulmonary damage and has an arduous (arsenic based) and expensive treatment. Easily avoided with either HW tablets that you get from the vet or a yearly injection. It's spread by mosquitoes but there is a grace period, providing you cover them within a month of landing you'll be fine.

Good luck with it all.


Thanks, that is very valuable advice.

I had a few quotes over the weekend. I still have 6 months to plan so I will use this time to ensure the animals (especially the old dog - the cat is probably indestructible) are in top form with all paperwork and various vaccinations.

The cost is what it is. I won't compromise for the pets.

Thanks again.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Relocating, Moving to Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests