Singapore Expats Forum

satire you are dearly missed

Chats, Flames, Jokes, Junks. Don't know where to post ? You've just found the right place.
morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter

satire you are dearly missed

Postby morenangpinay » Mon, 08 Apr 2013 6:21 pm

http://www.tremeritus.com/2013/04/06/no-need-for-singaporeans-in-singapore-anymore/

a whole slew of rants on a the supposed news- singaporeans biggest threat to singapore's growth.

honestly at what point do people realize the article is fake...it says right there, 50% real news.http://newnation.sg/2013/03/singaporeans-biggest-threat-to-singapores-growth/

nakatago

Postby nakatago » Mon, 08 Apr 2013 6:46 pm

Does anyone remember when I asked about Singaporean stand-up comics and the response I got?

Yep.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Tue, 09 Apr 2013 12:21 am

Thanks for that! I cross-posted that to Facebook commenting thus:

'Hehehe, [the Newnation link] needling satire... :-D

And even then, despite the site being sub-headed '50% real news', and being an *obvious* parody - it gets picked up elsewhere [the TRE link] and treated as factual journalism. The comments there then go on the usual anti-foreigner tour of hate.

It's a bit like Private Eye writing a parody piece about thuggish British racism, and The Sun reporting it as outrageous and fact, and the reader comments there being a racist thuggish hate-fest .... hilarious!'

the lynx
Governor
Governor

Postby the lynx » Tue, 09 Apr 2013 8:54 am

Hilarious. How riled up they are! So they report jokes as factual journalistic material here these days?

I'm waiting for TRE to take The Onion's next.

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Wed, 10 Apr 2013 1:55 am

the lynx wrote:Hilarious. How riled up they are! So they report jokes as factual journalistic material here these days?

I'm waiting for TRE to take The Onion's next.

Yah, oso say. Jus don ting de local get parody lah...

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter

Postby morenangpinay » Wed, 10 Apr 2013 4:28 pm

oh now i can reply :) Thanks lynx for the suggestion

i was just going to say I kinda like that new nation website its intellectually funny :)

uscate
Chatter
Chatter

Postby uscate » Fri, 12 Apr 2013 12:40 pm

THANK YOU for these links! Hysterical!!

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Postby Mi Amigo » Wed, 17 Apr 2013 2:11 pm

It's 'official' (well according to TRE anyway) - we are now classified as...

The Enemies From Within

What is up with these people? :roll:
Be careful what you wish for

AngMoG
Reporter
Reporter

Postby AngMoG » Wed, 17 Apr 2013 2:28 pm

Mi Amigo wrote:It's 'official' (well according to TRE anyway) - we are now classified as...

The Enemies From Within

Wow, even by TRE standards, this is a very confused and incoherent article. Because the foreigners from dozens of countries will just team up and make life miserable for the locals... :???:

And, you know, just to point this out: most countries in the world would be happy to have an unemployment rate as low as Singapore's. In fact, in many countries this would count as 'full employment' - only those who do not actually want to, or cannot, work don't. :D

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Postby JR8 » Thu, 18 Apr 2013 12:54 am

Mi Amigo wrote:It's 'official' (well according to TRE anyway) - we are now classified as...
The Enemies From Within

The writer appears to be an incoherent child, who cannot even grasp the basics of pluralisation...

- 'How do you identify the enemies in a sea of foreigners co-mingling in Singapore? What if the million or so foreigners decided to gang-up and stir trouble with a view to create economic sabotage or to destabilize the country especially if Singaporeans are depress, demoralize and unity is lacking due to no income (jobless or unable to make ends meet) and no sense of belonging? Its not impossible.

- 'By then, can we send them away by the boatloads?

- If a leader cannot, or do not, care

- Until the day my younger graduates friends find their dream jobs

- its all talks and NO actions.

- This is not about any particular parties but the EQs of life.'

What is this illiterate person rambling on about? He can't even employ correct grammar. Now, I'm not great at grammar, but his writing is a glaring mangled joke. AND YET HE IS APPARENTLY OBLIVIOUS TO THE FACT!?

uscate
Chatter
Chatter

Postby uscate » Thu, 18 Apr 2013 6:21 am

JR8 -

I wasn't at all surprised by the mangling of the English language in this letter. I'm new to Singapore and can't work, so granted my experience is limited, but I've seen some "formal" emails from my sig other's workplace and was at first mortified, but am now just mystified. These are all college educated professionals with (most of them) having significant professional level work experience. The people in his office are primarily Singaporean Citizens. And yet their written and verbal communication skills are more in line with those of a person whose primary language and educational background took place in a country whose first language is something other than English. His assistant, who has a college degree from some Sing college and 5 years of work experience, wrote a memo that was so mangled as to be pretty much incoherent. When he called her on it, she said this was the way she was taught to write, and if he couldn't understand it, he should send her to a professional development class.

I'm just trying to live by the "their country, their rules" credo and not get too irritated by this crazy lack of ability and sense of entitlement in some people. I've got to figure, though, that their best and brightest must be working in an industry other than my sig other's.