Singapore Expats

Thank your lucky stars you're not on a MCST Condo Committee

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.
offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Tue, 09 Apr 2013 1:04 pm

Hannieroo wrote:So they build a parking lot per unit and people with more than one take extra on a first come first served basis? Or less than one?

If you don't have a car but you are getting a delivery or have work men or are in a taxi with a big shop. What do you do then?

That stinks.
Generally one lot per unit. Lots are usually not allocated. First come first serve usually for car passes and permits - rich of course benefit. Some MCST have come up with balloting systems if over subscribed. However condos with lots of renters tend to have spare carparks anyways.

For second scenario some condos (ours does) have a 'gate' button you can operate from inside - ring your maid and ask her to open the gate (maid = DW or DH in our case).
Now I'm called PNGMK

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 10 Apr 2013 6:03 am

nakatago wrote: Access cards have expiry dates tied to EP instead of lease. So, if you signed a new lease with a condo owner and your pass expires 4 months into the lease, you have to apply for a new one, even though your lease isn't up, not until 20 months more.

And you have to pay for the access card "renewal."

Hmmm... if so you might ask what rights a condo management office has to know your visa details.

Surely that is between you and your landlord, and your landlord and the condo office...

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 10 Apr 2013 7:25 am

JR8 wrote:
nakatago wrote: Access cards have expiry dates tied to EP instead of lease. So, if you signed a new lease with a condo owner and your pass expires 4 months into the lease, you have to apply for a new one, even though your lease isn't up, not until 20 months more.

Hmmm... if so you might ask what rights a condo management office has to know your visa details.

Surely that is between you and your landlord, and your landlord and the condo office...
Here's the thing: we couldn't talk to condo management directly. He has security (let's call him "Cerberus") do all of the talking. Any questions about the rationale of policies is met with "that's just condo policy" ie "that's just the way things are, how dare you even attempt to know why, you filthy foreigner."

For what it's worth, the owner's agent did tell us that whenever condo management asks us to pay for anything, we should tell them first. This is so the landlady can talk to the management.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Wed, 10 Apr 2013 10:00 am

JR8 wrote:

It's because of;

1. Nervous nellies on the condo committee who think the ICA will get them (not the owner) for ilegal overstayers. In my last place all my house guests had to show the security how long their visa was for when they came in.

2. It's partly the fault of the property manager trying to push more and more fee increases on the committee and needing justification (we have to check all the foreign trashes). Smart committees see this and avoid it.
Now I'm called PNGMK

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Wed, 10 Apr 2013 10:28 am

It does seem rather petty and intrusive. Is that something one can expect on the whole?

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 10 Apr 2013 11:29 am

Hannieroo wrote:It does seem rather petty and intrusive. Is that something one can expect on the whole?
More often than not, sadly.
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Wed, 10 Apr 2013 5:47 pm

Hannieroo wrote:It does seem rather petty and intrusive. Is that something one can expect on the whole?
So what I'm concluding is they like to see this information, but have no right to it. I wonder what would happen if you simply refused to provide it.

Petty and intrusive sums it up quite well, as well as a multitude of other facets of daily life in SG... :roll:

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter

Post by morenangpinay » Thu, 11 Apr 2013 11:10 am

would a property manager be an owner of the condo?? as it turned out our neighbor complaining about the cats is the property manager and the uhm person who was disallowed by our landlord to park in the carpark designated for our unit since we dont have a car. i expect some sort of escalating animosity in the future.

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Thu, 11 Apr 2013 12:36 pm

morenangpinay wrote:would a property manager be an owner of the condo?? as it turned out our neighbor complaining about the cats is the property manager and the uhm person who was disallowed by our landlord to park in the carpark designated for our unit since we dont have a car. i expect some sort of escalating animosity in the future.
The PM is the manager appointed by the managing company appointed by the condo management committee (i.e. the owners of the properties). IT would be a little unusual and pure coincidence to have the PM being an owner, I suspect you're dealing with a management committee member or maybe the MC chairman - (I'm a MC member and we DO have stroke because we can mobilize the committee against you or order the PM to deal with you in a nasty way).

Have a look at your by-laws. It is unusual to have car parks designated but the by laws may help clarify this. I would agree with the PM that if you don't have a car, you don't have a car park space UNLESS the title on the strata or the by laws specifically allow this. The more progressive MC's are against allowing unit owners to tie up car park spaces because of the title issue but also the need to manage abuse of the car parks by non residents (who rent the car parks out - illegally as they are not the owners of the space).
Now I'm called PNGMK