Singapore Expats

Health insurance covering pregnancy and childbirth

Moving to Singapore? Ask our regular expats in Singapore questions on relocation and their experience here. Ask about banking, employment pass, insurance, visa, work permit, citizenship or immigration issues.

Sponsored by:

Utrust Immigration
commander_frankfurt

Health insurance covering pregnancy and childbirth

Post by commander_frankfurt » Sat, 06 Apr 2013 7:19 pm

Good evening @all,

we are getting ready to make the move to Singapore, where I will be working in CBD for a major international bank while my wife will stay home, looking after our 3y old. Now here comes the question: I'll be under whats called a local package so while I am moving within the same company there are none of the typical expat benefits. I can live with that but one thing has become a bit critical: Getting comprehensive health insurance for my wife. I myself and the little one have an underwritten world wide policy but my wife is currently in the Govt run system in Germany and we havent found a German insurance who could cover her. Now I am looking for advice - what we would like is a comprehensive health insurance plan that would cover pregnancy and childbirth. Did anyone have the same issue upon moving to Singapore? Any ideas/contacts as to where to look for this? We are hesitant to get on the plane when effectively the German system will stop covering her the moment she boards the plane and havent got anything under wraps. Your advice/recommendations welcome.

Cheers,
Commander

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 06 Apr 2013 7:30 pm

There are bits and pieces on this subject in a number of topics. Try for a start this thread:
http://forum.singaporeexpats.com/ftopic88427.html

A few more you should be able to find using the search function (pregnancy insurance / all words).

HMSY

Post by HMSY » Mon, 22 Apr 2013 12:41 am

We had the same issue when we moved here, didn't have a baby back then but we do now and the insurance covered all of it (pregnancy, birth, now child vaccination, etc). We went through a local agency which helped us find a suitable provider (at no cost to us since they get paid by whichever insurance company we select) by giving us all the information on different providers and comparison table of benefits and costs, then we just chose. What I learned through this process is that it's better to consult at least 2 agencies since they do cover different providers, that way you have more to compare.