Singapore Expats

Shooting in Singapore

Discuss about food, eating places, shopping centres, clubs, pubs, massage, sports, travel & holidays. Share tips on best place to chill, party, relax or travel destinations.
Qotb

Shooting in Singapore

Post by Qotb » Fri, 05 Apr 2013 11:58 pm

Hi all,
I'm thinking of going shooting @ the singapore rifle association on Sunday...any1 interested 2 join plz msg mr or reply bak....
Yours,
Kareem

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 06 Apr 2013 1:51 am

I can't go this weekend, but would be happy to next month or thereafter.

I was going to say that the prices seem high (but that said I think they are the only gun-club in SG, so have a monopoly), but S$170 all-in with instructor, for a 100 rounds of 9mm, as a walk-in guest, is probably not that bad.

Compare with:
NYC
http://westsidepistolrange.com/rentals/
A great range.

and in London too
(Oh. The company/range I have used now appears to be defunct(?), so I can't link, sorry. But search for other international big-city ranges and look at their prices to get an idea).

My advice on the .44 magnum, or .50 cal etc is don't pay a premium to hire one. If you want to give those big-cals a go for the first time, ask if you can have a try of say 1-5 shots for free (i.e. 1 load, at the cost of ammo only, no hire-fee). For them the incentive is you might like it and decide to spend buckets more money on it. For you, you get to see if you enjoy it or not, at a small price. I did one round in that .44M and said 'no thanks' afterwards, it even left black bruises on the palm of my right hand it was that OTT! There's no point paying $$$ to make a similar discovery yourself. So why not go and quote me... 'A friend of mine said [and so on] ... ... so can I perhaps have a a trial shot or so for the price of the ammo to see if I feel it suits me?'. It is a mature/thought-out question, and maturity and thinking is highly respected at ranges: One would hope it would be recognised and responded to accordingly.

For example I've been shooting since I was about 8 (all manner of guns). Started shooting handguns at c.21. Found the 9mm semi-auto great, simple, fun. I could focus on the art of shooting well and accurately. Breathing, control, rhythmic routine...

The .38 Magnum short-barrel, pretty dramatic, but ok, not as fun. The .44 Magnum, so very heavy, very long pull on the heavy trigger, recoil off this hand-cannon is insane, such as that when it finally fired I was wobbling and had my eyes closed... great :-P! You need to try and see what suits you. Maybe you'll enjoy the big-cal stuff, but if you don't you will definitely know after one load (5 or 6 rounds in a .44 revolver).

If you're new to handguns my tip is start small (.22) and work your way up over time. You'll see how wide your zone-of-comfort and pleasure is. So go for a visit shooting a .22, and ask if you can put say 6 rounds through a 9mm (no hire fee) while you're there, repeat up the calibre-scale... etc...

Good luck, it IS a wonderful sport :)

BillyB
Manager
Manager

Post by BillyB » Sat, 06 Apr 2013 11:47 am

I'm also up for this - keep us posted.

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Sat, 06 Apr 2013 12:56 pm

http://www.singaporegunclub.com/?Facilities

IT used to be $90 for a box of 12GA (50?) and the clays for Pigeon shooting on a day member basis.
Now I'm called PNGMK

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sat, 06 Apr 2013 4:29 pm

offshoreoildude wrote:http://www.singaporegunclub.com/?Facilities

IT used to be $90 for a box of 12GA (50?) and the clays for Pigeon shooting on a day member basis.
Which would seem quite reasonable, what with the extras thrown in.

Your post OSOD brings to mind that if you've never shot a gun, it is probably better to start the journey using a 12 (or 16/20 for ladies) guage. That gives you an insight and lesson in the power, recoil, noise etc. Plus as shotgun shooting involves the whole body it tends to be more controllable and hence relaxed, vs a big handgun and a pair of wobbly hands :)

p.s. my earlier comments re: the .44 magnum were re: the original 'cowboy-style' revolver with the small wood-inlayed handle. I'd stay away from such formats when starting out. The bulkier handle of the semi-auto system gives a lot more hand to gun contact area, and hence control. Particularly as they tend to come with soft textured rubber inlays.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 06 Apr 2013 11:16 pm

Guaranteed, if you learn how to handle a 12 Gauge, most rifles will be a piece of cake until you start hitting the big calibre magnums for large game. I've always used my long barreled 12 gauge Brownings (Belgium Brownings, by the way) for duck & goose My gun of choice for deer (due to the laws where I live which forbids the usage of rifles for deer in our county because of the population density) is my old favourite which was the shotgun I was given when I was 12 years old and shot my first deer with (8 pointer) at 14. I still have it and my son, when we went back in 2010 for my 45th reunion, got his first lesson in gun handling as we went through a whole box of shells. I like that old Mossberg 16 as it's been cut down, and the barrel shorted and a polychoke added for hunting small game/birds etc. When hunting deer, it's full open and using a rifled slug instead of shot. When humping through the brush, that small short gun make it a breeze.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Sun, 07 Apr 2013 12:20 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Guaranteed, if you learn how to handle a 12 Gauge, most rifles will be a piece of cake until you start hitting the big calibre magnums for large game. I've always used my long barreled 12 gauge Brownings (Belgium Brownings, by the way) for duck & goose My gun of choice for deer (due to the laws where I live which forbids the usage of rifles for deer in our county because of the population density) is my old favourite which was the shotgun I was given when I was 12 years old and shot my first deer with (8 pointer) at 14. I still have it and my son, when we went back in 2010 for my 45th reunion, got his first lesson in gun handling as we went through a whole box of shells. I like that old Mossberg 16 as it's been cut down, and the barrel shorted and a polychoke added for hunting small game/birds etc. When hunting deer, it's full open and using a rifled slug instead of shot. When humping through the brush, that small short gun make it a breeze.
Interesting. I was going to ask what kind of load you use for deer. And then you say a single 0.73" slug :o so IIRC that's 1/12lb of a single lead-ball! What kind of load and effective range do you need/get? Isn't it similar to using an unrifled musket!?

p.s. Mossberg 'shorty' musket lol ... :)
(If you tell me it's pump-action I think I'm going to spit out my biscuit!)