Singapore Expats

The end of the Game and IT HUb - lucasfilm mass layoff

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
nakatago

Post by nakatago » Sat, 06 Apr 2013 9:18 am

zzm9980 wrote:
Sergei82 wrote:
Barnsley wrote:Fusionopolis
Even worse location than CBP! :o
I'd probably agree, based just on the name... :P Only thing worse would be if it was "L'Fusionopolis"
L'Fusionopolis@one-north Phase One

Note capitalization--speaking of which, why isn't one north capitalized officially?!

On a related note to OP, I read somewhere that Disney is now also closing down other lucasX properties related to film and also on its own animation entities. Layoff all the things. http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/en ... 8621.story
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter

Post by morenangpinay » Sat, 06 Apr 2013 10:30 am

Sergei82 wrote:So they downsize or completely close??? You know, many of those animators or whoever they are - they're not software developers, a lot of Singaporeans work in that company!
they downsized, they will be focusing on video game licensing instead of development. i think its going to have a big effect on the PR campaign of singapore though. they are already sending out press releases. http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/sin ... 28760.html

x9200

Post by x9200 » Sat, 06 Apr 2013 11:21 am

nakatago wrote:
zzm9980 wrote:
Sergei82 wrote: Even worse location than CBP! :o
I'd probably agree, based just on the name... :P Only thing worse would be if it was "L'Fusionopolis"

Note capitalization--speaking of which, why isn't one north capitalized officially?!
AFAIK, it is capitalized officially. The name also makes sense if you know what is behind. I would dare to say one of the most reasonable names of the places around reflecting the building predominating occupants and the whole complex/area development history. Location-wise, sitting on top of one MRT station, 200m away from another, 300 from HV, with food-courts, restaurants, Cold Storage inside. I am surprised they allowed some game developers in :)

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Sat, 06 Apr 2013 11:25 am

morenangpinay wrote:they downsized, they will be focusing on video game licensing instead of development. i think its going to have a big effect on the PR campaign of singapore though. they are already sending out press releases. http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/sin ... 28760.html
Interesting comment in the article - I wasn't aware of this:

EDB owns a stake in Lucasfilm Singapore, and helped the firm established itself here in 2005.
Be careful what you wish for

Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager

Post by Mi Amigo » Sat, 06 Apr 2013 11:29 am

x9200 wrote:
nakatago wrote:
zzm9980 wrote: I'd probably agree, based just on the name... :P Only thing worse would be if it was "L'Fusionopolis"

AFAIK, it is capitalized officially. The name also makes sense if you know what is behind. I would dare to say one of the most reasonable names of the places around reflecting the building predominating occupants and the whole complex/area development history. Location-wise, sitting on top of one MRT station, 200m away from another, 300 from HV, with food-courts, restaurants, Cold Storage inside. I am surprised they allowed some game developers in :)
Rather than "L'Fusionopolis" I thought they move to "D'Mediopolis" or whatever it's called.
Be careful what you wish for

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sat, 06 Apr 2013 12:57 pm

x9200 wrote:
nakatago wrote:
zzm9980 wrote: I'd probably agree, based just on the name... :P Only thing worse would be if it was "L'Fusionopolis"

OH besides the name, I agree it's a nice location. Not sure why Sergei prefers CBP.

Sergei82
Editor
Editor

Post by Sergei82 » Sat, 06 Apr 2013 2:51 pm

Isn't that dotted MRT line? One of those to be done within 5-20 years. Commuting by 2 modes of transportation is the reason I'd rather stay in CBP.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sat, 06 Apr 2013 4:51 pm

Sergei82 wrote:Isn't that dotted MRT line? One of those to be done within 5-20 years. Commuting by 2 modes of transportation is the reason I'd rather stay in CBP.
Nope. It's on the Circle line. "one-north" is its stop. The green line is about half km north.

iamsen
Regular
Regular

Post by iamsen » Sun, 07 Apr 2013 12:25 am

I am such a resident tourist, I have no idea what the hell you fine gentlemen speaketh of.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sun, 07 Apr 2013 5:52 pm

iamsen wrote:I am such a resident tourist, I have no idea what the hell you fine gentlemen speaketh of.
Were joking about this place's name: (both of them)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-north
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fusionopolis

And this is the other place we're talking about:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Changi_Business_Park

Barnsley
Manager
Manager

Post by Barnsley » Mon, 08 Apr 2013 10:13 am

morenangpinay wrote:
Sergei82 wrote:So they downsize or completely close??? You know, many of those animators or whoever they are - they're not software developers, a lot of Singaporeans work in that company!
they downsized, they will be focusing on video game licensing instead of development. i think its going to have a big effect on the PR campaign of singapore though. they are already sending out press releases. http://www.channelnewsasia.com/news/sin ... 28760.html
Apparently George got Disney to sign an agreement that they would use the building at Fusionopolis for a good few years. Its not cheap and I suspect Disney will be looking to get out of the contract a.s.a.p.

If not for the contract it would appear that the whole of the Singapore crew would have been canned.

Probably be some cuts in that side as well.
Life is short, paddle harder!!