Singapore Expats

How to wear a work shirt and don't sweat in Singapore?

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sun, 05 May 2013 10:40 am

Hidy Ho wrote: I wear US Large and now wear XL from Uniqlo so if you are bigger sized then the fit will be an issue.
I found I went from a US Medium to XL for some of Uniqlo's stuff, and every product (no matter how similar) fits differently. Definitely try one of everything on from them.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sun, 05 May 2013 2:14 pm

Golfing polos are probably the worst. Most I wear a large now, but before I lost all the weight I has to wear an XL. But is depends on the brand and where they are made. Ashworth's polos are near enough to western bought, but most of the rest you need to get at least one size larger than you would at home. My problem is going home and buying shirts there, as I wear a Medium at home and most places don't stock S & M's :o but start with L's and go up to XXXLs. 2nd fattest nation on earth, behind the Aussies as of 5 years ago! ;-)
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Hidy Ho
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Hidy Ho » Sun, 05 May 2013 5:55 pm

It's true that as US Large sized person, I have also purchased Asian XXL shirts for some brands including local Nike and Adidas shops. Before it disappeared, I used to shop at Nike at Changi airport terminal 2 as they sold US sized shirts.

I can fit Asian XL OK except for my belly ... which I hope will inspire me to lose some weight. I lost a lot of weight when I first got here but lately I've gained a lot of it back .. mostly from poor diet from ordering delivery food.

Being here close to 1 1/2 yr, I just did my very first grocery shopping buying a bunch of vegi and fruits. Karma is working against me 'cause the new blender I bought doesn't work and now I'll have to replace it before my vegi and fruits go bad.

Edroche
Regular
Regular

Re: Any brands of UnderShirts?

Post by Edroche » Thu, 09 May 2013 2:13 pm

juansanchez wrote:I went to Mustafa the other day and I couldn't find this brand. I bought hush Puppies but not the best to be honest!

I think I might slow down hahaah, good technique!
They are out the back, pas that hush puppy rack. I ended up with hush puppies also as they are the most comfortable.

Don't know about yall but I'm really feeling the heat since the weather changed.

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Sat, 18 May 2013 4:23 pm

Hidy Ho wrote:I started wearing Uniqlo Airism v-neck undershirts and I think they are great. They aren't cheap though .. $16 SGD per each.

Also, I ditched all my shirts from USA. I find that even my Nike Dri-Fit shirts from US are too heavy and thick for here. I started buying more "dri-fit" type of shirts here and in Bangkok which seems to be much thinner and lighter.
I remembered this post when I was near a Uniqlo today and picked up these and their cotton shirts.

At 2 for $17 they're a better deal than the American brands sold here (still cheaper in the States of course), and I picked up one of these Lycra ones you mentioned. I prefer cotton but thought to try it out.

FYI they are on sale for $9.90 until Sunday May 19th.

Re the OP, while in this weather you'll almost never not sweat outside, the only way to be comfortable in work shirts is to wear an undershirt; otherwise you sweat right though your work shirt. Sounds counterintuitive to be cooler wearing more layers but it works for me.

The trick is which brand has the best V cut so that the undershirt doesn't show above the button and the V is not too wide that it is visible showing though. Depends on if you wear your shirts with the 2nd- or 3rd-to-top button unbuttoned.

Unless of course you have to wear a tie and therefore a crewneck undershirt. If so my condolences.....

Hidy Ho
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Hidy Ho » Sun, 19 May 2013 2:39 pm

You are right!!! I went to Uniqlo today and airism shirts are marked down to 9.90 from 16. I bought some more but damn .. I could've saved so much :(

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Sun, 19 May 2013 6:59 pm

Hidy Ho wrote:You are right!!! I went to Uniqlo today and airism shirts are marked down to 9.90 from 16. I bought some more but damn .. I could've saved so much :(
In my mind this is exactly what forums like this are all about - passing on knowledge that helps, like you and zzm did to bring the Uniqlo products to people's attention, which was a real benefit to me because I've been wearing the same tatty undershirts because I can't find the ones I like in Singapore (non-stretch cotton Calvin Kliens I get in Japan at a discount from a friend).

After road testing the Lycra Uniqlo one this afternoon I picked up some more today while they were still on sale. I think I still prefer cotton but need to try this on a work day to know for sure.

Wow, didn't realize there was this much to say about something as boring as undershirts.....

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Sun, 19 May 2013 8:17 pm

Brah wrote:
Wow, didn't realize there was this much to say about something as boring as undershirts.....
Priorities ;) It's stuff like this I talk about when locals ask me my impression of Singapore. (Usually the topic veers to how shopping sucks here)

Hmm 8:15pm, and I'm about 900m from a Uniqlo. Should I go and pick some up? I usually go with the pima cotton Banana Republic shirts myself.

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Sun, 19 May 2013 9:18 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
Brah wrote:
Priorities ;) It's stuff like this I talk about when locals ask me my impression of Singapore. (Usually the topic veers to how shopping sucks here)

Hmm 8:15pm, and I'm about 900m from a Uniqlo. Should I go and pick some up? I usually go with the pima cotton Banana Republic shirts myself.
Sorry just saw this now, yeah, I'd get some.

I'm going to try these BR shirts too..

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Post by zzm9980 » Mon, 20 May 2013 8:29 am

Brah wrote: I'm going to try these BR shirts too..
They're pricier, even in the US, than the Uniqlo shirts. But, they're the softest cotton shirts I've ever worn. they have a 'sport' fit that is good as an undershirt, and a non-sport/normal fit that you can wear as a nice casual shirt on its own with jeans (or under a sport jacket, etc).

If you order some, note they run slightly large for BR, especially on the "non sport" fit. My mediums fall somewhere between a M and a L.

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Tue, 21 May 2013 8:11 pm

Update on this - those Lycra ones are pretty good, especially when you want to wear something under a fitted and slightly tight shirt. Now I wish I bought more while they were on sale....

Hidy Ho
Chatter
Chatter

Post by Hidy Ho » Tue, 21 May 2013 8:51 pm

AIRism shirts rock man ... especially at 9.90 sales price. It's like second skin .. tight but comfy.

Brah, stop calling it Lycra .. that sounds so fem. I know ... AIRism ain't much betta but ... :shock:

juansanchez

ARISIM by UNIQLO sucks

Post by juansanchez » Thu, 25 Sep 2014 11:12 am

I bought some of these undershirts and a part of being super expensive (15SGD), they :

- When you sweat a bit, it smell really bad! :???:
- The quality is quite poor seen the cost
- The material is cheap. Polyester is not cotton guys. You can buy the same for much cheaper in local malls
- They don't sell sleeveless

I don't know but even if I bought them in promo (12SGD), I think they don't solve the problem but make it worse.... They SMELL LIKE FOOTBALL SHIRTS AFTER A 90 MIN MATCH IN THE HEAT!

:mad: :mad: