Singapore Expats Forum

India tourist visits down 25%...

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
User avatar
rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2789
Joined: Sat, 24 Nov 2012
Location: Singapore

Postby rajagainstthemachine » Thu, 04 Apr 2013 8:06 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote: In a country where there are equal rights under the law AND enforced, they might stifle the "urge".

only my 2¢ worth


However, statistics that I provided earlier shows that this is not always the case.
The countries with gender equality incidentally are also have the highest rape incidents.
This disproves the theory that gender quality implies a reduced occurrence of rape.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

User avatar
rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2789
Joined: Sat, 24 Nov 2012
Location: Singapore

Postby rajagainstthemachine » Thu, 04 Apr 2013 8:14 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote: Frankly, the stories of Indian wife beaters here in Singapore are numerous as well.


What you say is true in Singapore, a colleague of mine at work was subjected to marital abuse in Singapore. Husband came back drunk and began to hit out at everyone in the family, his parents, this woman. They had to call the police. The Singapore police took him away for a day and let him off.. Scott free after 24hrs with a warning not to repeat this.
What sort of nonsense and sham is this?


Similar incident in India:

Husband would have been arrested by cops, Subjected to the 3rd degree and then let out with a stern warning.
The cops would then drive the guy back throw him in front of the house, demand a small fee from the family for handling the situation well.



Also on a side note I should remark:

Prevalence of abuse against women is more in lower income lower caste families than in the upper caste families ( who are generally non alcoholics and have higher education levels)
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34261
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 04 Apr 2013 8:31 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote: In a country where there are equal rights under the law AND enforced, they might stifle the "urge".

only my 2¢ worth


However, statistics that I provided earlier shows that this is not always the case.
The countries with gender equality incidentally are also have the highest rape incidents.
This disproves the theory that gender quality implies a reduced occurrence of rape.


As was pointed out, in countries where there is a larger chance of "real" justice, women know their rights and are less afraid to bring up charges. I doubt if "date" rape would ever be reported in India. In fact, it only seems that "gang rapes" get reported there and even then, only when one is really horrendous and makes the international press, do more get "printed". At least for a while. So, one has to wonder how many marital rapes, date rapes, guilty conscious rapes the morning after actually get reported in India. Crime statistics are only good if you have 100% of the crimes reported. Otherwise, we're pissing in the wind.

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9161
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Thu, 04 Apr 2013 8:38 pm

Wd40 wrote:Sorry I completely disagree. The people who rape are criminals and it needs a criminal mind to go a attack a women and rape her. Its true that Indian society women are not treated upto par with men in terms of what they can and cannot do, but thats not disrespect or considered as weak as you have put it.

Considering women as lesser beings and then raping them are worlds apart.

Infact the delhi rapists too had stole a bus, robbed another couple off Rs 8000 and then committed the rape. They were criminals.

Nobody is born a criminal.

User avatar
Mad Scientist
Director
Director
Posts: 3447
Joined: Thu, 03 Dec 2009
Location: TIMBUKTU

Postby Mad Scientist » Fri, 05 Apr 2013 12:57 am

Wd40 wrote:So you think all Indians or most Indians beat up their wives? If you really saw that happen, why didnt you go and complain to the police? The countries you are talking about, have proper law enforcement, no?


AS you know I lived in two countries at present and did just that. The cops came take him or them away to sleep in the cell and release him/them the next day just to cool him off. No charge, how bizarre !!
The hubby hit the garage of my neighbor as he turned to the wrong driveway and was too drunk to notice. Instead of apologizing had a go with my neighbor with the bottle and he beat the crap out of this Punjabis but when the cops came, my neighbor was charge with assault instead!!
During my childhood days, my dad always helped out on domestic violence especially with Indian neighbors until he got slashed on the back by the hubby. Ain't worth it. That hubby got three months jail and no change and we became the enemy instead.
Proper law enforcement in OZ yes but this is the culture itself, It BREEDS IN YOU LIKE FIRE.
The positive thinker sees the invisible, feels the intangible, and achieves the impossible.Yahoo !!!

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5239
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010
Location: Midgar

Postby the lynx » Fri, 05 Apr 2013 9:05 am

I may be the youngest and the only female in this thread (in case my opinions get discredited because of that) but I studied psychology as I can darn attest that rape happens all because the perpetrator (man or woman) does not inherently possess the healthy behaviour towards the members of opposite sex. Whether such problem is genetic or is nurtured in cultural, religion, geographical settings etc, rape is still wrong.

It can happen to anyone from any rung of society, country, community etc. So anyone who still try to say it doesn't happen that way is obviously a bigot, I daresay.

User avatar
rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2789
Joined: Sat, 24 Nov 2012
Location: Singapore

Postby rajagainstthemachine » Fri, 05 Apr 2013 9:56 am

Mad Scientist wrote: but this is the culture itself, It BREEDS IN YOU LIKE FIRE.


your post is a lot of tl;dr involving drunk related Punjabi's bashing up each other.
And then you make the statement above.. sorry your opinions is like a blind man describing an elephant when talking about culture.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

User avatar
rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2789
Joined: Sat, 24 Nov 2012
Location: Singapore

Postby rajagainstthemachine » Fri, 05 Apr 2013 9:58 am

the lynx wrote:I may be the youngest and the only female in this thread (in case my opinions get discredited because of that) but I studied psychology as I can darn attest that rape happens all because the perpetrator (man or woman) does not inherently possess the healthy behaviour towards the members of opposite sex. Whether such problem is genetic or is nurtured in cultural, religion, geographical settings etc, rape is still wrong.

It can happen to anyone from any rung of society, country, community etc. So anyone who still try to say it doesn't happen that way is obviously a bigot, I daresay.


fantastic! someone who finally makes sense!
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5239
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010
Location: Midgar

Postby the lynx » Fri, 05 Apr 2013 10:02 am

But if it happens in high prevalence (and especially in groups) within certain nationality, ethnicity, country, religion, culture etc, it does speak volumes on how the majority of the people behaves towards women, you know?

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5239
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010
Location: Midgar

Postby the lynx » Fri, 05 Apr 2013 10:07 am

rajagainstthemachine wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote: In a country where there are equal rights under the law AND enforced, they might stifle the "urge".

only my 2¢ worth


However, statistics that I provided earlier shows that this is not always the case.
The countries with gender equality incidentally are also have the highest rape incidents.
This disproves the theory that gender quality implies a reduced occurrence of rape.


Not necessarily. Sexual assaults still happen (that I won't deny) but at lesser degree and the long arm of law (and the pressure of established female rights movement) in those countries is always there to make sure that these perpetrators don't go scot-free.

User avatar
Sergei82
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1455
Joined: Mon, 02 Nov 2009

Postby Sergei82 » Fri, 05 Apr 2013 10:13 am

If we're discussing domestic violence, no need to concentrate on Indians for that matter. Chinese (also Malays etc) also beat wives, even Singaporean Chinese. Moreover, I see many of those beaten wives think it is ok to be beaten every so often. My friend used to say that he never saw any Asian women who was never beaten by her boyfriend/husband.
If we correlate alcoholism with domestic violence, it is true for absolutely every country and culture.
Maybe it is only me who wants to have a partner with a strong character who does not allow anybody to beat her. :)

One thing is different though... gang rapes are very uncommon for most places other than India.

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9161
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Fri, 05 Apr 2013 10:14 am

rajagainstthemachine wrote:
the lynx wrote:I may be the youngest and the only female in this thread (in case my opinions get discredited because of that) but I studied psychology as I can darn attest that rape happens all because the perpetrator (man or woman) does not inherently possess the healthy behaviour towards the members of opposite sex. Whether such problem is genetic or is nurtured in cultural, religion, geographical settings etc, rape is still wrong.

It can happen to anyone from any rung of society, country, community etc. So anyone who still try to say it doesn't happen that way is obviously a bigot, I daresay.


fantastic! someone who finally makes sense!

Failing to understand yesterday that not all the crimes are reported and understanding what lynx wrote above, Sir, I think I can speak on behalf of many members of this forum, we are proud of you. A Master degree certificate form a Prestigious University will be sent upon request.

User avatar
Sergei82
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1455
Joined: Mon, 02 Nov 2009

Postby Sergei82 » Fri, 05 Apr 2013 10:15 am

the lynx wrote:...Sexual assaults still happen (that I won't deny) but at lesser degree and the long arm of law (and the pressure of established female rights movement) in those countries is always there to make sure that these perpetrators don't go scot-free.

How about Israel where a wife can complain to police that her husband raped her? Try to disprove that when the court is on the woman's side by default! But at least men will think many times before hurting women. :)

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5239
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010
Location: Midgar

Postby the lynx » Fri, 05 Apr 2013 10:17 am

x9200 wrote:
rajagainstthemachine wrote:
the lynx wrote:I may be the youngest and the only female in this thread (in case my opinions get discredited because of that) but I studied psychology as I can darn attest that rape happens all because the perpetrator (man or woman) does not inherently possess the healthy behaviour towards the members of opposite sex. Whether such problem is genetic or is nurtured in cultural, religion, geographical settings etc, rape is still wrong.

It can happen to anyone from any rung of society, country, community etc. So anyone who still try to say it doesn't happen that way is obviously a bigot, I daresay.


fantastic! someone who finally makes sense!

Failing to understand yesterday that not all the crimes are reported and understanding what lynx wrote above, Sir, I think I can speak on behalf of many members of this forum, we are proud of you. A Master degree certificate form a Prestigious University will be sent upon request.


Thank you, sir. You have spoken what I wanted to say. I'm too cowardly to say that.

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5239
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010
Location: Midgar

Postby the lynx » Fri, 05 Apr 2013 10:20 am

Sergei82 wrote:How about Israel where a wife can complain to police that her husband raped her? Try to disprove that when the court is on the woman's side by default! But at least men will think many times before hurting women. :)


That's an interesting point to bring up. I've heard of marital rape but short of Googling it, I'm not familiar with the context and how this is handled in judiciary system.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Latest News & Current Affairs”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests