Singapore Expats Forum

India tourist visits down 25%...

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 3788
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012
Location: SIndiapore

Postby Wd40 » Wed, 03 Apr 2013 10:38 pm

Rape has absolutely nothing to do with any of the reasons you guys have been talking about.

Rapists in India rape for the same reason that rapists in other parts of the world rape. Take South Africa, for example, I believe it is the rape capital of the world, I remember reading in wikipedia that 1 in 3 women there have raped by someone before :o

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_South_Africa

South Africa no longer has the highest rapes per capita, but rape and sexual violence is still a problem.[15] The incidence of rape has led to the country being referred to as the "rape capital of the world".[16] One in three of the 4,000 women questioned by the Community of Information, Empowerment and Transparency said they had been raped in the past year.[17] More than 25 per cent of South African men questioned in a survey published by the Medical Research Council (MRC) in June 2009 admitted to rape; of those, nearly half said they had raped more than one person.[18][19] Three out of four of those who had admitted rape indicated that they had attacked for the first time during their teens.[18] South Africa has amongst the highest incidences of child and baby rape in the world.[20] [21]


India has an absolutely unique culture of its own about treating women. It may be looked upon as gender inequality and hipocrisy. For eg its ok if a man smokes in India but if a woman smokes it surely will attract lots of attraction and comments. In Singapore, I see more women smoking than men :)

Now in big cities like Bangalore and Mumbai though there a lot of westernization and its common to see young girls smoking especially those working in Call Centres but 10 years back, that wasn't the case.

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 3788
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012
Location: SIndiapore

Postby Wd40 » Wed, 03 Apr 2013 11:11 pm

the lynx wrote:
I watched a documentary on how the recent rape cases in India have fuelled the feminist movement and the push for cultural change (where the women are mostly subjugated under current traditional laws). I think the public outcry has grown loud enough to pressure the government to do something, although the initial reaction from the authorities is still (and always) flaky, until the spotlight is too bright and too long on them to stay still. As long as the media is making decent coverage of these incidents, the mass will continue to be loud and persistent on them.

But I'm no advocate of stupidity. Who the hell backpacks and sets up tent at such place in India?!


And this documentary invariably would have appeared in Channel News Asia. These guys just love to show anything negative about other countries just to brainwash their population about what a good life they are having :D

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9161
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Wed, 03 Apr 2013 11:49 pm

Wd40 wrote:Rape has absolutely nothing to do with any of the reasons you guys have been talking about.

Rapists in India rape for the same reason that rapists in other parts of the world rape. Take South Africa, for example, I believe it is the rape capital of the world, I remember reading in wikipedia that 1 in 3 women there have raped by someone before :o

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime_in_South_Africa

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women_in_South_Africa
Opening sentence: In general, all racial and ethnic groups in South Africa have long-standing beliefs concerning gender roles, and most are based on the premise that women are less important, or less deserving of power, than men. Most African traditional social organizations are male centered and male dominated.

Must be a pure coincident or India is so different that respecting someone less does not create any situations to abuse the group less respected.

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 3788
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012
Location: SIndiapore

Postby Wd40 » Thu, 04 Apr 2013 7:43 am

You will notice that its just not rape that is high in South Africa. Other crimes too like murder are high.

There is a stronger link between crime and law enforcement, rather that rape and gender bias.

The gulf countries, for example, have much higher levels of gender bias than India, but rape doesnt happen as much there because if it did, their tools would be chopped off :lol: Thats enough to deter the b@st@rds.

Big democracies like India have extremely poor levels of law enforcement, rape is just one of the crimes.

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Thu, 04 Apr 2013 7:49 am

Wd40 wrote:The gulf countries, for example, have much higher levels of gender bias than India, but rape doesnt happen as much there because if it did, their tools would be chopped off :lol: Thats enough to deter the b@st@rds.


Select countries in the middle east have high incidences of domestic abuse though. Lots of maids will attest to this.

Also, extreme gender bias doesn't just manifest in the form of rape.

User avatar
sundaymorningstaple
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 34261
Joined: Thu, 11 Nov 2004
Location: Still Fishing!
Contact:

Postby sundaymorningstaple » Thu, 04 Apr 2013 8:30 am

Wd40 wrote:You will notice that its just not rape that is high in South Africa. Other crimes too like murder are high.

There is a stronger link between crime and law enforcement, rather that rape and gender bias.

The gulf countries, for example, have much higher levels of gender bias than India, but rape doesnt happen as much there because if it did, their tools would be chopped off :lol: Thats enough to deter the b@st@rds.

Big democracies like India have extremely poor levels of law enforcement, rape is just one of the crimes.


Don't think so. In fact, the act of sodomy is extremely prevalent in the Gulf States, regardless of the laws there (both legal and religious - one and the same). It's a pretty well know fact that a huge percentage of men there are sodomites. Sodomy is still rape. Girls are also sodomized as well there. So the comparisons hold valid I reckon. And no, it's not enough to deter the b@st@rds.

http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes ... rder-cases

Interesting article in the India Times

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5239
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010
Location: Midgar

Postby the lynx » Thu, 04 Apr 2013 8:53 am

Wd40 wrote:
the lynx wrote:
I watched a documentary on how the recent rape cases in India have fuelled the feminist movement and the push for cultural change (where the women are mostly subjugated under current traditional laws). I think the public outcry has grown loud enough to pressure the government to do something, although the initial reaction from the authorities is still (and always) flaky, until the spotlight is too bright and too long on them to stay still. As long as the media is making decent coverage of these incidents, the mass will continue to be loud and persistent on them.

But I'm no advocate of stupidity. Who the hell backpacks and sets up tent at such place in India?!


And this documentary invariably would have appeared in Channel News Asia. These guys just love to show anything negative about other countries just to brainwash their population about what a good life they are having :D


It was on CNN actually. Not sure about CNA and what they would portray for this issue here in Singapore media. But I won't be surprised...

Still rape is just wrong. Whether justified by culture, religion etc, it is still wrong. What I'd be more interested in is the fact that it is prevalent in certain clusters of countries (not just India actually) and the fact that it is also often perpetrated in groups, not just individuals. The herd mentality that exists in gang rapes speaks way louder than any defensive party.

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9161
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Thu, 04 Apr 2013 9:24 am

Wd40 wrote:You will notice that its just not rape that is high in South Africa. Other crimes too like murder are high.

There is a stronger link between crime and law enforcement, rather that rape and gender bias.

The gulf countries, for example, have much higher levels of gender bias than India, but rape doesnt happen as much there because if it did, their tools would be chopped off :lol: Thats enough to deter the b@st@rds.

Big democracies like India have extremely poor levels of law enforcement, rape is just one of the crimes.

But nobody says this is the only factor. This is you and earlier Raj who said this had NOTHING to do with the gender inequality.

iamsen
Regular
Regular
Posts: 104
Joined: Sun, 03 Feb 2013

Postby iamsen » Thu, 04 Apr 2013 10:20 am

Having used to be an ahbeng in my youth, a lot of rape and undermining of women goes on here too, judging from some of my old friends, their attitudes still haven't changed.

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 3788
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012
Location: SIndiapore

Postby Wd40 » Thu, 04 Apr 2013 10:30 am

sundaymorningstaple wrote:http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes ... rder-cases

Interesting article in the India Times


That article is boring and predictable if you are an Indian, But this one is interesting:

http://www.neontommy.com/news/2013/03/r ... merica-too

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 890
Joined: Mon, 02 Mar 2009

Postby morenangpinay » Thu, 04 Apr 2013 12:07 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote:
morenangpinay wrote:i dont think its the sex ratio. I think it is more of the culture of placing less importance on females in India even the perception of politicians and the opinions on the rape cases recently indicate this. ofcourse this is just an observation of mine.


I think "placing less importance on women" card is the same across Asia more or less and in varying degrees of oppression.
In certain villages in India particularly the ones with the skewed sex ratio men are unable to wed because of lack of available women.
Why is the population of women lesser than men? well thats another can of worms ( female infanticide )
All these alarming trends like I mentioned rapes, female infanticide, eve teasing, molestation cases seem to originate from states with low sex ratios attributable to female infanticide.
It's a f***ing mess!


its not the number of men or women. You can be surrounded by men and not be raped at all. Its the mentality, culture or belief that women are not important. Im not saying all will have this mentality ofcourse but years and years of the same belief can affect people's judgment. Isn't there a female infanticide in India because they think women are burden? especially because when they get married, the women's side pay the dowry. Its not the only reason but it shows alot about the way women are treated.

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 3788
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012
Location: SIndiapore

Postby Wd40 » Thu, 04 Apr 2013 12:15 pm

Treating women as lesser doesn't mean it brings rapist tendencies in men.
So in a ideal western country where men and women are on par, wouldn't you expect equal number of women raping men? Why is it that only men rape women?

Also back up your argument with stats for example "rape as a percentage of all crimes is higher in societies where there is higher gender bias" or something like that.

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5239
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010
Location: Midgar

Postby the lynx » Thu, 04 Apr 2013 12:31 pm

Wd40 wrote:Treating women as lesser doesn't mean it brings rapist tendencies in men.
So in a ideal western country where men and women are on par, wouldn't you expect equal number of women raping men? Why is it that only men rape women?

Also back up your argument with stats for example "rape as a percentage of all crimes is higher in societies where there is higher gender bias" or something like that.


My friend, I'm sorry but you're going the wrong direction in this one.

Rape is an inherent problem, nurtured by societal acceptance. If you have right attitude towards women, and it is encouraged in culture and religion (and law), you will never rape them, no matter under what circumstances.

You want stats? Here it is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rape_statistics

And yes, women raping men do happen. Heard of a nymphomaniac? Same, inherent problem. If women do not have right attitude towards men, they will degrade them at any presented opportunity.

User avatar
Sergei82
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1455
Joined: Mon, 02 Nov 2009

Postby Sergei82 » Thu, 04 Apr 2013 1:44 pm

Wd40 wrote:Why is it that only men rape women?

There are many things that can be classified as "rape by a woman", depends on country. For example, having sex with an underage boy (not surprising for Singapore).

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9161
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Thu, 04 Apr 2013 1:46 pm

Wd40 wrote:Treating women as lesser doesn't mean it brings rapist tendencies in men.

Of course it does, unless, as I said earlier, the Indian society is somehow special what I doubt is the case. If it is possible to abuse someone because this person is less respected (meaning weaker) there will be a long queue waiting to do this. If women were strong and dominating in your society do you really think the number of the rapes would stay the same? Wake up WD40, it is not a crusade against Indians, just a small battle for a common sense.


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Latest News & Current Affairs”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests