Singapore Expats

India tourist visits down 25%...

Discuss about any latest news or current affairs in Singapore or globally. Please DO NOT copy and paste news articles from other sources without written permission.
rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Wed, 03 Apr 2013 2:09 pm

therat wrote:how about "Virgin women cannot be executed in Iran" hence the prison will arrange a "marriage" to and raped by prison guards

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk%3ACap ... nt_in_Iran

Look for
4 Forcible marriage and rape of virgin women on death row

why are you going on a tangent here? the discussion is about India and not Iran.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 03 Apr 2013 2:24 pm

There's a difference? :o :lol:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Wed, 03 Apr 2013 2:42 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:There's a difference? :o :lol:
didn't you like go to kerala or something? :-|

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 03 Apr 2013 3:15 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote:
sundaymorningstaple wrote:There's a difference? :o :lol:
didn't you like go to kerala or something? :-|
whooosh!
"A quokka is what would happen if there was an anime about kangaroos."

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 03 Apr 2013 3:31 pm

morenangpinay wrote:i dont think its the sex ratio. I think it is more of the culture of placing less importance on females in India even the perception of politicians and the opinions on the rape cases recently indicate this. ofcourse this is just an observation of mine.
I think "placing less importance on women" card is the same across Asia more or less and in varying degrees of oppression.
I think it is not. Even in Singapore. I am, for obvious reason, less sensitive, but my wife catches all the nuances (and not) with killing precision. Many Indians do this:

In the cab:
- do not respond to greetings from women
- greet only man if man and woman enter the cab
- only turns to man with questions

In the restaurants
- always serve man first

In other situations:
- ignores the women when a man is a part of conversation

I don't see anything like these with Chinese. I see some of this with Malays.

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 03 Apr 2013 3:45 pm

x9200 wrote:
morenangpinay wrote:i dont think its the sex ratio. I think it is more of the culture of placing less importance on females in India even the perception of politicians and the opinions on the rape cases recently indicate this. ofcourse this is just an observation of mine.
I think "placing less importance on women" card is the same across Asia more or less and in varying degrees of oppression.
I think it is not. Even in Singapore. I am, for obvious reason, less sensitive, but my wife catches all the nuances (and not) with killing precision. Many Indians do this:

In the cab:

In the restaurants
- always serve man first

In other situations:

It's a cultural thing where women are inherently less than men. For some, it's even because of religion. It's the problem with a very patriarchal and arguably misogynistic society.

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 03 Apr 2013 3:51 pm

Yep, and just to add one more point what I failed to do above: it is true that women are seen inferior in many of the SEA cultures (so they are often in many Western) but for the given significant nations and races around it seem Indians are kind of on more extreme side.

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Wed, 03 Apr 2013 4:06 pm

x9200 wrote:

In the cab:

In the restaurants
- always serve man first

In other situations:

What you mention above is also prevalent in Indonesia, Bangladesh and Pakistan too.
Please bear in mind they do talk to the man and avoid the women out of respect for the woman rather than a look down upon in many cases.
it is considered rude to speak directly to a married woman when her husband is around a lot of people practice this in a subtle way.

However all this has nothing do to with the cause of rapes. :roll:

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Wed, 03 Apr 2013 4:11 pm

nakatago wrote:
x9200 wrote:
rajagainstthemachine wrote: I think "placing less importance on women" card is the same across Asia more or less and in varying degrees of oppression.

In the cab:

In the restaurants
- always serve man first

In other situations:

It's a cultural thing where women are inherently less than men. For some, it's even because of religion. It's the problem with a very patriarchal and arguably misogynistic society.
can you give me some religions which are misogynist? I can think of one .. Christianity.
*boom*

also to add there are lots of matriarchal societies in India, please don't club everybody in the same boat.

iloverice
Regular
Regular

Post by iloverice » Wed, 03 Apr 2013 4:38 pm

x9200 wrote:
rajagainstthemachine wrote: I think "placing less importance on women" card is the same across Asia more or less and in varying degrees of oppression.

In the cab:

In the restaurants
- always serve man first

In other situations:

What you mention above is also prevalent in Indonesia, Bangladesh and Pakistan too.
Please bear in mind they do talk to the man and avoid the women out of respect for the woman rather than a look down upon in many cases.
it is considered rude to speak directly to a married woman when her husband is around a lot of people practice this in a subtle way.

Indonesia? Really? :shock: :o

nakatago

Post by nakatago » Wed, 03 Apr 2013 4:45 pm

can you give me some religions which are misogynist? I can think of one .. Christianity.
*boom*

also to add there are lots of matriarchal societies in India, please don't club everybody in the same boat.
I didn't say there weren't. You accuse me of generalizing when you're the one who did by being defensive. You need to improve your reading comprehension and stop dwelling on your persecution complex.

But when you have a place that looks down on women, wouldn't you call that misogynistic? And here's another religion/society which is misogynistic-->what's in Saudi Arabia.

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Wed, 03 Apr 2013 4:56 pm

nakatago wrote:
*boom*

I didn't say there weren't. You accuse me of generalizing when you're the one who did by being defensive. You need to improve your reading comprehension and stop dwelling on your persecution complex.

But when you have a place that looks down on women, wouldn't you call that misogynistic? And here's another religion/society which is misogynistic-->what's in Saudi Arabia.
Well, your initial post lacked clarity hence the misunderstanding.

rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager

Post by rajagainstthemachine » Wed, 03 Apr 2013 5:02 pm

Rape in Brazil now : - Boyfriend forced to watch American woman gang raped in Brazil

And It's the same circumstances as what happened in Delhi.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/world/2013/04/02 ... z2POCD8CZL

x9200

Post by x9200 » Wed, 03 Apr 2013 5:40 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote: What you mention above is also prevalent in Indonesia, Bangladesh and Pakistan too.

Fair enough and don't get me wrong - I am not anti-Indian, this is simply that the Indians, not the Pakistani are here one of the majorities so that's the base of my observations. For the Indonesian I don't really recall anything like this.

Could be the case but somehow the word subtle does not go along with the way they typically look, dare to say, at any white women.

I bet it has a lot.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 03 Apr 2013 9:23 pm

iloverice wrote:
Indonesia? Really? :shock: :o
:???: :-k

I was thinking the same thing. I didn't get that impression during the 12 years I worked there back in the '80's & 90's. And it was a lot more patriarchal back then compared to today.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers