Singapore Expats

Rental Housing Trends and Venacular

Discuss about where to live, renting a property, tenancy issues, property trend and property investment in Singapore.
Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Thu, 04 Apr 2013 12:55 pm

Isn't it? :D

We don't pay our rent but we do have to pay anything over our allowance. I decided on my areas and researched what I could get in those areas for that price. I emailed him beforehand with our exact spec and some of the properties we were interested in if they were still available or to give him an idea. All of the properties were within a range, 1k under and about 500 over, we would have contributed for the right house plus negotiation.

On one hand this chap gets regular work from the company, it's not in his interest to not do his best work for them but we did find that he only showed us the houses that were our entire allowance or over. The house we chose was over and we asked him to negotiate to our allowance. At that point he started to annoy us. We were driving along and he kept asking what extras we wanted. 60 inch plasma tv? Complete refit of the bathrooms? we kept saying no because it was kind of obvious he was looking for ways to keep the price artificially high so we had to pay for stuff we just didn't need or want. We had to be very firm and he was still piping up every 3 minutes with buts. The LL accepted the offer which is a fair price for the area and I am very glad that we didn't push for extras because my LL had the house completely done before we moved in and her contractor ripped her off and now she's paying hand over fist to repair things twice and both her and her agent have been nothing but apologetic and helpful. I'd have felt bad if I'd scammed her for a jacuzzi too.

Search By

Smog

Post by Smog » Thu, 04 Apr 2013 1:44 pm

Many thanks Hannieroo - lots of info I didn't know there, especially the part about who pays the commission over $2500.

Looks like I'll be tracking down an agent then if it doesn't cost me anything.

freshmeat

Post by freshmeat » Thu, 04 Apr 2013 3:58 pm

Hannieroo,

Appreciate the tips

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Thu, 04 Apr 2013 4:00 pm

^+1 Hannieroo.

Good stuff. Keep it up!

:)

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Thu, 04 Apr 2013 7:52 pm

My pleasure, you guys were my bedtime reading for months so only fair I put back in.

{edited by moderator}

JR8
Immortal
Immortal

Post by JR8 » Fri, 05 Apr 2013 5:53 am

Gosh... I wonder what bedtime reading got mod,d there... Lol

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Fri, 05 Apr 2013 12:45 pm

Ha! Nothing I'd be ashamed to show my mother.

I apologise, I didn't realise that part of my post breached etiquette.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 05 Apr 2013 1:24 pm

Twas me. The board, to be fair, is hosted freely by a real estate portal. Therefore, they do tend to get upset when it appears that someone is offering alternative services to what the host provides. While it was innocently enough done and with the best of intentions, it's a sensitive area when it 'appears' that they could be shills trying to promote hondas or kias on the BMW or Merc showroom floor.

No harm done though.

SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Fri, 05 Apr 2013 1:48 pm

It won't happen again. Sorry.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 05 Apr 2013 9:10 pm

Having said that, I would like to heap praise upon your posts, otherwise. You are the kind of member who gives the board the 1st place google rating it has. Your posts are excellent, well thought out and very informative.

Officially, welcome to the forum. :wink:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Sat, 06 Apr 2013 10:50 am

Thank you.

Now that you know I'm not a big realtor troll is there any chance the restriction on my pm could be lifted, please? I have one I would like to reply to. Thank you.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 06 Apr 2013 11:38 am

Your PM function was fully activated automatically after you made your 5th forum posting. It's basically a spam deflector function as most spammers just register and try to PM people so the moderators don't see the spam. But, if they have to make five posts usually the mods will have already figured them out. Anyway, your PM should be active. What you say there is not viewable by anybody except the recipient of the PM.

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Sat, 06 Apr 2013 11:47 am

So sorry for the hijack, OP. But when i get pm I am going to contact you to see if you fancy a coffee whilst you are here on your own.

Mine says sorry, the administrator has prevented you from sending messages. I assumed that was a security anti spam measure.

sundaymorningstaple

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 06 Apr 2013 11:53 am

It was. It's an automatic response until you have 5 posts.

Hannieroo
Reporter
Reporter

Post by Hannieroo » Sat, 06 Apr 2013 12:10 pm

Cheers!