Singapore Expats

Using CPF money for immediate family member who is not local

Discuss about the different financial investment options, financial markets, common investment products and what is trending in the market.
WorryingPRhere

Using CPF money for immediate family member who is not local

Post by WorryingPRhere » Mon, 01 Apr 2013 10:44 am

Hi there,

This post is especially targeted to SPR, I would like to check out if anyone of you have any idea if I (SPR) can use my CPF money for my immediate family member, who is not citizen nor PR, for their in/out-patient treatment here?

Thanks!
Regards,
WorryingPRhere

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Mon, 01 Apr 2013 10:56 am

I use mine for my wife who is on an LTVP (I'm a SPR) - I think it depends on the relationship - children and spouses are ok - not sure about others.
Now I'm called PNGMK

WorryingPRhere

Post by WorryingPRhere » Mon, 01 Apr 2013 11:06 am

offshoreoildude wrote:I use mine for my wife who is on an LTVP (I'm a SPR) - I think it depends on the relationship - children and spouses are ok - not sure about others.
Parents should be fine right if I am not wrong... but I just not sure if i can use the money as they are not even a LTVP holders... practically speaking, they are purely 'foreigners'!! :)
Regards,
WorryingPRhere

therat
Editor
Editor
Answers: 2

Post by therat » Mon, 01 Apr 2013 12:25 pm

http://ask-us.cpf.gov.sg/efa/answer/ind ... EFA_002973

Q: Can I use my Medisave savings to pay for hospital bills incurred by my family members?

A: Yes, you can use your Medisave savings to pay the hospital bills of your spouse, children, parents or grandparents.

Your family members can be of any nationality except your grandparents, who must be Singapore Citizens or Permanent Residents.

therat
Editor
Editor
Answers: 2

Post by therat » Mon, 01 Apr 2013 12:28 pm

Note: your sibling is not consider immediate family.

http://ask-us.cpf.gov.sg/efa/answer/ind ... EFA_002989

Q: Can I use my Medisave for non-immediate family members?

A: You may apply to use your Medisave to pay your non-immediate family members' (NIFM), such as siblings' medical expenses incurred at approved medical institutions. However, the patient must meet the following conditions before applying to the hospitals. The conditions are:

(i) Patient is warded in a subsidised class C or B2 ward of a restructured hospital;
(ii) Patient is not an active CPF contributor and has depleted his Medisave savings;
(iii) Patient does not have any immediate family members who have Medisave savings;
(iv) Patient must be a dependant of the Medisave Account holder.

Please approach the hospital for more details.

===============
Many year back, my uncle tried to use his CPF for his mother in law hospital bill but was not allow.
Only own children can use their CPF for their parent.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 01 Apr 2013 1:31 pm

Therat,

I can second that as, before my FiL passed on, I tried to use my own CPF Medisave for one of his hospital bills but could not. Only his immediate children were able to use their's. (e.g., my wife and her brother).
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

AndrewV
Chatter
Chatter

Post by AndrewV » Mon, 08 Apr 2013 2:44 pm

interesting question, what if a PR, has his parents come over for holiday (they are on a tourist visa), they fall sick and have to be warded. Can we use medisave for their hospital expenses?

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Mon, 08 Apr 2013 5:41 pm

AndrewV wrote:interesting question, what if a PR, has his parents come over for holiday (they are on a tourist visa), they fall sick and have to be warded. Can we use medisave for their hospital expenses?
(iv) Patient must be a dependant of the Medisave Account holder.
So, that would mean that the parent would have to have a residency permit for Singapore. The answer to you question would then be no.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Tue, 09 Apr 2013 1:56 pm

AndrewV wrote:interesting question, what if a PR, has his parents come over for holiday (they are on a tourist visa), they fall sick and have to be warded. Can we use medisave for their hospital expenses?
From what I experience, those on SVP cannot use anything, even if they are parents/spouse/children .. I can't find supporting info to that word though .. I tried asking around .. and all came to naught ..

And for visitors, I have got it imprinted in my brain, "DO GET A TRAVEL INSURANCE" and same goes for us, when we go out of town ..

Doesn't cost much but saves a lot of trouble and gives you peace of mind.

I know cases where visitors had stroke / fell seriously ill and the family members here had to fork out bills starting at 5 figure numbers ..

And for one case, where the daughter was employed in the hospital, most of the fees were waived but still the left over came to over 120K S$