Singapore Expats

oildude's new orange cat

Chats, Flames, Jokes, Junks. Don't know where to post ? You've just found the right place.
taxico
Director
Director

Re: oildude's new orange cat

Post by taxico » Thu, 07 Apr 2016 7:51 pm

PNGMK wrote:So Orangecat ran away the other week. I'd taken her downstairs for a bit of outside time. She usually just sits or lies in the sun. Unfortunately some noisy visitors came through the common area and she bolted apparently. We looked and looked - even my maid who claims to dislike the cat went out on her own and looked... About 5 days later while I was at home working my maid walks in with Tinny. Apparently she'd made her way back to the carpark basement and the cleaners (who live in a room down there I suspect) called my maid (who apparently had the foresight to warn the cleaners she might show up and LEFT her number with them) to call her if Tinny showed up. None worse for wear.
i'm glad Tinny (Trinny) got home safely in the end... please keep her safe!

this is the only other pic i've got of her...

and in keeping with the cat theme, this was the community cat that used to laze on his "hammock" outside my wife's office... her office has since moved and his cat cushion thrown away (no doubt), but he's still there.

Aut viam ad caelum inveniam aut faciam

PNGMK
Answers: 10

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 22 Mar 2018 7:32 pm

Well Tinny has been with us about 6 years. She has been vomiting a lot more than usual the last year (she always did a bit - typical cat thing). I started noticing she was losing weight so we switched her to wet food and I started weighing her. She's still losing weight - from about 4.5kg to 4kg in two months. So she's on the downhill run. She has barely eaten today and I suspect she has cancer. She appears to be in a pain a bit on her lower belly if picked up there but is still sleeping comfortably and generally not too miserable. I expect she'll be gone soon. She has been a great pet for the kids - they both learned a lot about animals and kindness from her. The neighbours all know her. Until she got sick she would go out and chase the cleaners broom in the morning.
I not lawyer/teacher/CPA.
You've been arrested? Law Society of Singapore can provide referrals.
You want an International School job? School website or http://www.ISS.edu
Your rugrat needs a School? Avoid for profit schools
You need Tax advice? Ask a CPA
You ran away without doing NS? Shame on you!

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Fri, 23 Mar 2018 10:18 am

That's a bummer PNGMK, I've been there and done that with both a cat and a dog here. The cat adopted me (she was a stray) but the dog I adopted as a 3 month old puppy and she passed away with her head in my lap shortly before the age of 14. Glad Tinny found a good home to spend the rest of her days though. Have you taken her to a vet yet for a good diagnosis?
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 23 Mar 2018 3:52 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:That's a bummer PNGMK, I've been there and done that with both a cat and a dog here. The cat adopted me (she was a stray) but the dog I adopted as a 3 month old puppy and she passed away with her head in my lap shortly before the age of 14. Glad Tinny found a good home to spend the rest of her days though. Have you taken her to a vet yet for a good diagnosis?
I'm planning on taking her to vet when I return (on the road today). I expect she won't come home if the diagnosis is something terminal.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Sat, 24 Mar 2018 9:25 am

Probably the kindest but hardest way. :(
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Sun, 25 Mar 2018 10:00 am

I've been away for a week. She's gone from 4.05 kg to 3.8 kg in that time. We've just switched her food and she ate a bit and is keeping it down. She's extremely quiet and weak (normally a vocal cat) and has found a dark corner to hide in for most of the day. She's not in apparent pain that I can see and when awake is alert. I'll her pass naturally if possible.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Fri, 30 Mar 2018 3:09 pm

PNGMK wrote:I've been away for a week. She's gone from 4.05 kg to 3.8 kg in that time. We've just switched her food and she ate a bit and is keeping it down. She's extremely quiet and weak (normally a vocal cat) and has found a dark corner to hide in for most of the day. She's not in apparent pain that I can see and when awake is alert. I'll her pass naturally if possible.
I know euthanasia may not be your thing but perhaps, could you see the vet just to be very sure if it is something Tinny can die peacefully and painlessly with?

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 30 Mar 2018 7:55 pm

the lynx wrote:
PNGMK wrote:I've been away for a week. She's gone from 4.05 kg to 3.8 kg in that time. We've just switched her food and she ate a bit and is keeping it down. She's extremely quiet and weak (normally a vocal cat) and has found a dark corner to hide in for most of the day. She's not in apparent pain that I can see and when awake is alert. I'll her pass naturally if possible.
I know euthanasia may not be your thing but perhaps, could you see the vet just to be very sure if it is something Tinny can die peacefully and painlessly with?
I've been thinking the same actually. Any vet recommends from people?

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Fri, 06 Apr 2018 11:47 am

PNGMK wrote:
the lynx wrote:

Let me ask the folks from local pet community. Will get back.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Fri, 06 Apr 2018 12:40 pm

the lynx wrote:
PNGMK wrote:
the lynx wrote:

We've switched her food and she is eating more. Her weight loss has stabilized.

the lynx
Governor
Governor

Post by the lynx » Fri, 06 Apr 2018 1:55 pm

PNGMK wrote:
the lynx wrote:
PNGMK wrote:

We've switched her food and she is eating more. Her weight loss has stabilized.
Here are some local recommendations in caqse you need it:

https://www.facebook.com/BrightonVetCare/

https://www.facebook.com/vetcentralsingapore/ (look for Dr Wendy for Toa Payoh Lorong 4 outlet)

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Wed, 02 May 2018 8:57 pm

I think it's Tinny's last 24 hours on earth. She hasn't eaten for days and has taken no water today. Her respiration rate is up and she's started vocalizing a sound I've never heard in my life before. A purr and a cry (continuously almost a pant, a little similar to a female cat in labor but not the same). Is she in pain? Possibly. Why not put her down? Because she's still responsive and still wants to be here. Who am I to say she should go prematurely? It's been an extraordinary privilege to have her in our lives. A cat that even the maids grew to love and care for and my children to grow up with for a few years. She's lost over 1.5kg but her fur is still shiny and she's still a beautiful animal.

earthfriendly
Manager
Manager

Post by earthfriendly » Wed, 02 May 2018 11:47 pm

PNGMK wrote:Why not put her down? Because she's still responsive and still wants to be here. Who am I to say she should go prematurely?
I am sorry to hear this.

This is indeed commendable. We chose to put our dog down as it was too painful to watch. To witness life being sucked out of her. And also, we were remindered of Mr. EF's childhood pet. It got so weak that it ended up sitting on its own waste.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 03 May 2018 6:46 am

She went last night - not sure exactly when but at 6am when I checked on her she was stiff but warm so probably around 2 or 3. She went on her own terms, in a dark cool place she had picked without a human on hand but where she had first slept when she moved in with us (my sons room). I have called the mobile pet cremation service.

PNGMK

Post by PNGMK » Thu, 03 May 2018 6:48 am