Singapore Expats Forum

Canada vs Singapore lifestyle

Discuss about the latest news & interesting topics, real life experience or other out of topic discussions with locals & expatriates in Singapore.

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Mon, 01 Apr 2013 4:46 pm

BedokAmerican wrote:I'm surprised more people don't walk around in their underwear in protest.


Haven't you seen some of the Singaporean girls? It's the only aspect of Singaporean society more "liberal" than Canuckistan.

User avatar
Mi Amigo
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1790
Joined: Sat, 19 Jun 2004
Location: Kinto Pino

Postby Mi Amigo » Mon, 01 Apr 2013 7:51 pm

I think Vinky should pay a visit to Toronto, then he can nip across the border and try out his planned experiment with the Americans that he likes so much:

vink2 wrote:I will talk to them, they will talk to me: I will smile and wink, they will, sure, respond. ;-)

:P
Be careful what you wish for

movingtospore
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 699
Joined: Thu, 23 Jul 2009

Postby movingtospore » Mon, 01 Apr 2013 8:34 pm

Canada is great, aside from taxes that are too high, and limited opportunities in some fields. If you appreciate wilderness and wide open spaces there's nowhere like it.

But cold, in some parts, seriously cold. I think only Russians and Canadians truly understand that kind of cold. I was at a comedy thing a while back where the guy was going on about how cold it was in norway or somewhere @ - 15. I started to laugh - that's a nice winter's day where I grew up. Almost short sleeves weather.

Like Australia, they won't want you if your intention is to retire though. Unless you are bringing a very big bank account with you.

movingtospore
Reporter
Reporter
Posts: 699
Joined: Thu, 23 Jul 2009

Postby movingtospore » Mon, 01 Apr 2013 8:35 pm

Addadude wrote:I'm just dumbfounded by the idea of actually choosing Singapore as a place to live out your retirement...


+! OMG you couldn't pay me enough money to condemn myself to a life sentence here...

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Tue, 02 Apr 2013 2:36 am

Mi Amigo wrote:I think Vinky should pay a visit to Toronto, then he can nip across the border and try out his planned experiment with the Americans that he likes so much:

vink2 wrote:I will talk to them, they will talk to me: I will smile and wink, they will, sure, respond. ;-)

:P



Hehehe....

Capsule-memory of Canada (Calgary):
- Wild elk wondering the street
- Sitting in an outdoor jacuzzi on the roof of the hotel, in -10c, drinking beer with 5 Japanese chicks.
- Snow on which you 'could do no wrong' (Spring-Skiing black runs).
- Ordering food at a Japanese restaurant. I had recently left Tokyo, and ordered as I would there. But in Canada the portions are so outrageous they had to bring an extra side-table to put all the dishes on. Insane quantities!!!
- Going to the pub. Barn-like proportions. At the side an area the size of a basketball court where the local girls get up and line-dance. It's like going to a pub in London and suddenly all the girls get up and start mass-waltzing or something... surreal.
- Local girls with 50" waist-lines! :-O
- Super-friendly people. Quite probably the friendliest foreign country I've ever been to (right up there with Cambodia I reckon).
- The wilderness and mountains are breathtaking both in scale and beauty. Just the sheer size of everything takes your breath away....

p.s. Oh and did I say, THAT snow!

User avatar
the lynx
Governor
Governor
Posts: 5266
Joined: Thu, 09 Dec 2010
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Postby the lynx » Tue, 02 Apr 2013 8:59 am

JR8 wrote:- Super-friendly people. Quite probably the friendliest foreign country I've ever been to (right up there with Cambodia I reckon).!


I mentioned that before to my Cambodian friend when I was backpacking there. His reply?

"They are only friendly with you because they want your money!"

:P

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9301
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Tue, 02 Apr 2013 9:33 am

the lynx wrote:
JR8 wrote:- Super-friendly people. Quite probably the friendliest foreign country I've ever been to (right up there with Cambodia I reckon).!


I mentioned that before to my Cambodian friend when I was backpacking there. His reply?

"They are only friendly with you because they want your money!"

:P

Still much better than they want your money but are not that friendly.
TBH, I've been a few times to Cambodia and have not really noticed any extensive friendliness. Actually the most friendly people I met as per average were in Australia :)

vink2
Regular
Regular
Posts: 140
Joined: Mon, 14 Jan 2013

Postby vink2 » Tue, 02 Apr 2013 11:22 am

x9200 wrote:Still much better than they want your money but are not that friendly.
TBH, I've been a few times to Cambodia and have not really noticed any extensive friendliness. Actually the most friendly people I met as per average were in Australia :)


I have visited both Australia and New Zealand and found that Singaporeans are more friendly compare to them. Though European people will be at the top of the list. As for safety and non-abusive behavior, Singapore will be at the top of the list.

But... it also depends what we are talking about. Service is better in Singapore.
But it is just service.... Overall, I will give preference to aussies and kiwies to live with just in case if Europe disappears tomorrow. Not because they nice and smile all the time, but because they have lots of similarities with Europe when dealing with complicated things. I know that I will be treated there like European in small and big cases.
As for Australia, news.com.au has lots of interesting news about friendliness.
http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/television/abc-journalist-cops-racist-rant-on-sydney-bus/story-e6frfmyi-1226573416717

French woman abuse:
http://www.news.com.au/travel/news/lucky-country-or-a-nation-of-bogans/story-e6frfq80-1226522005982

...and read comments.

Again, as a guy who looks like they I won't have lots of problems on a streets.
The rest - is just a skill how to manage complicated situations.
So, I think it is okay in Australia, but don't be blinded with smiles and political correctness. People are old sinners everywhere.

Also I need to add that the most friendly people I have meet where in Malaysia.

User avatar
Sergei82
Editor
Editor
Posts: 1455
Joined: Mon, 02 Nov 2009

Postby Sergei82 » Tue, 02 Apr 2013 12:06 pm

Question: What is better - Singapore or Canada?
Answer: Australia.

vink2, I see you haven't been interviewed by anybody for a loooong time. :)

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 3908
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012
Location: SIndiapore

Postby Wd40 » Tue, 02 Apr 2013 12:09 pm

Sergei82 wrote:Question: What is better - Singapore or Canada?
Answer: Australia.

vink2, I see you haven't been interviewed by anybody for a loooong time. :)


:lol: =D>

User avatar
x9200
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 9301
Joined: Mon, 07 Sep 2009
Location: Singapore

Postby x9200 » Tue, 02 Apr 2013 12:15 pm

vink2 wrote:
x9200 wrote:Still much better than they want your money but are not that friendly.
TBH, I've been a few times to Cambodia and have not really noticed any extensive friendliness. Actually the most friendly people I met as per average were in Australia :)


I have visited both Australia and New Zealand and found that Singaporeans are more friendly compare to them. Though European people will be at the top of the list. As for safety and non-abusive behavior, Singapore will be at the top of the list.

You mean an active abuse I guess? Caucasian are by their culture more openly abusive but if the whole package is taken then I am not that sure.

But... it also depends what we are talking about. Service is better in Singapore.

I don't know any other civilised country with such bad service quality as it is in Singapore and although this is mostly about the competency and quality standards a part of it is also a courtesy (being late, not showing up to the appointments is simply rude). Admittedly I have never lived in Australia. I spent there probably 3 weeks all together as a tourist/on a conference.

But it is just service.... Overall, I will give preference to aussies and kiwies to live with just in case if Europe disappears tomorrow. Not because they nice and smile all the time, but because they have lots of similarities with Europe when dealing with complicated things. I know that I will be treated there like European in small and big cases.
As for Australia, news.com.au has lots of interesting news about friendliness.
http://www.news.com.au/entertainment/television/abc-journalist-cops-racist-rant-on-sydney-bus/story-e6frfmyi-1226573416717

French woman abuse:
http://www.news.com.au/travel/news/lucky-country-or-a-nation-of-bogans/story-e6frfq80-1226522005982

...and read comments.

Again, as a guy who looks like they I won't have lots of problems on a streets.
The rest - is just a skill how to manage complicated situations.
So, I think it is okay in Australia, but don't be blinded with smiles and political correctness. People are old sinners everywhere.

Sure, but by what factor would you like to judge then? At least following some basic courtesy indicates respect to other people. You can explain lack of it by the cultural differences but these courtesy rules are pretty pragmatic so in one point it may just show that somebody is plain egoistic or disrespectful to other people.
When I first went to Australia it was after 2y of me living in Singapore so my fatigue factor was not yet that developed, yet I perceived a clear difference and it was not in favor of Singapore. Few years later I went for a longer, self-driving trip and after riding in Singapore I felt, again I am in a normal country where people on the road respect the others. If they jump in front of me from a side street they push the pedal so I don't need to brake. Dozens of small things like this. Show me anything similar in Singapore.
I know living in a country vs visiting it is a completely different kettle of fish (Singapore being an excellent example) but Cambodia was mentioned and we probably have not that many Cambodia residents in here :)


Also I need to add that the most friendly people I have meet where in Malaysia.
Last edited by x9200 on Tue, 02 Apr 2013 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vink2
Regular
Regular
Posts: 140
Joined: Mon, 14 Jan 2013

Postby vink2 » Tue, 02 Apr 2013 12:16 pm

Sergei82 wrote:Question: What is better - Singapore or Canada?
Answer: Australia.

vink2, I see you haven't been interviewed by anybody for a loooong time. :)


Mate, what do you mean interviewed by anybody for a looong time?
Where are you coming from? I was clear that I'm not going to move to Canada or Australia or retire in Singapore.

We are just comparing countries. I love to compare compare countries, know about social welfare, infrastructure, etc.

vink2
Regular
Regular
Posts: 140
Joined: Mon, 14 Jan 2013

Postby vink2 » Tue, 02 Apr 2013 12:19 pm

x9200, well, it is just my personal experience.
Road crossing is not so good in Singapore, I may agree.
But shop/restaurant/hotel service is far much better in Singapore.

User avatar
zzm9980
Governor
Governor
Posts: 6837
Joined: Wed, 06 Jul 2011
Location: Once more unto the breach

Postby zzm9980 » Tue, 02 Apr 2013 3:12 pm

vink2 wrote:We are just comparing countries. I love to compare compare countries, know about social welfare, infrastructure, etc.


Ok, since we're just playing silly games, your turn then.

Tell me about the differences between Moldova and Burkina Faso.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Tue, 02 Apr 2013 4:34 pm

zzm9980 wrote:
vink2 wrote:We are just comparing countries. I love to compare compare countries, know about social welfare, infrastructure, etc.


Ok, since we're just playing silly games, your turn then.

Tell me about the differences between Moldova and Burkina Faso.


I can tell you that Burkina Faso means 'Land of honourable men', and that it used to be called Upper Volta. It's capital is IIRC Ouagadougou.


[What being a stamp-collector in your youth does for you :)].


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “General Discussions”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests