Singapore Expats Forum

Is S$14000, good enough ?

Discuss about getting a well paid job or career advancement. Ask about salaries, expat packages, CPF & taxes for expatriate.

seasider
Chatter
Chatter

Postby seasider » Wed, 05 Jan 2005 1:16 pm

There is a huge range of expat salaries/packages across all disciplines and nationalities. I think some of the top end ones are pretty obscene but heck, if the company will pay it, why wouldn't a person take it? Save enough to retire early and enjoy it.

However I do think (from my circle of friends) that more and more single people/younger couples are coming here on lower salaries, local packages, etc. New jobs (new homes, new lives?), rather than just "postings". It's not all about money.

(Xref the discussion about PR.)

reasonable

Postby reasonable » Wed, 05 Jan 2005 1:36 pm

actually it is quite good pay if drawing out in sing cause that is consider high already!! alot of expat drawing that amount too in bankin sector!! economy is bad and they willing to pay!! all i can say is GRAB!!!!

DrStatsDude

I'm facing a similar problem

Postby DrStatsDude » Sat, 08 Jan 2005 5:50 pm

I'm a Ph.D. management consultant with 15 years experience, and I've been offered a "local" package of 12K a month, plus bonus. So it sounds like you've done better than I have.

I've made more in Saudi Arabia, London, and in the U.S. However, I think I'll still take the package so I can experience SE Asia for a while. I'll get the premium pay when I return to the U.S. after my third international work experience (I hope :wink: ).

Postby Guest » Sun, 09 Jan 2005 3:47 pm

Work for experience, don't do it for pay. It never enough. If you make for me $10 mil a year, paying you $14k a month is too little. If you loss money for me, paying you a penny is too much!

Love it

One bit of advice

Postby Love it » Thu, 13 Jan 2005 10:36 pm

If you're about the money, then shop around, as Singapore's had a few years of hard times. Perhaps some other cities like Dubai, Tokyo or Shanghai might have something higher for you.

Having said that, this place is brilliant.

One word of advice though when you get here. Don't go moaning to all and sundry about your "hardship" posting on 14k. Many do earn a lot less, and besides, it's not a culture where people are so quick to advertise what they're earning.

Which is one of the reasons it's a great place. Cheers.

adrianlee
Regular
Regular

Postby adrianlee » Mon, 17 Jan 2005 1:00 pm

Love it,

I find it interesting that you find Spore a brilliant place to live in. I've received many conflicting opinions from Singaporeans who claim that life would be better overseas (e.g. Aust, Canada, UK). Most of the people who have had positive feedback about Spore are those who are expats. I surmise that these same people are paid a lot more, resulting in a more comfortable and less restricting lifestyle. Some of my local contacts in Spore are dumbfounded as to why I would want to move from Australia to Singapore!!

Maybe long term, Singapore may not be THE place to be???

Adrian

binxyy

the grass is always greener

Postby binxyy » Mon, 17 Jan 2005 3:03 pm

if you're born and raised in one place, you'll ache to get out of it as soon as you possibly can.its human nature...there's always something or someone better out there instead of what we have at present.

personally, i think singapore could'nt be more narrow-minded and selfish.robots run this place, not people.of course you'd love it if you were visiting. its called an extended vacation.but to live here? a country whose people don't even look you in the eye and acknowledge your presence?

the grass is way greener and smells much better in adelaide, thank you very much.

but that's just me.