Singapore Expats

How Can I Verify the Validity of an IPA Letter?

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Wed, 03 Apr 2013 5:17 pm

the lynx wrote: Confirmed a scam to target the poor and the ignorant.
Quite possible .. later the candidate ends up on one of the many 'training' courses and more money is to be paid before any glimmer of any work at all ..

Or an attempt to make sure the candidate pays up before getting the IPA .. could it be that too ?? :D :D :D seen that as well !!!!

mapleleaf

Post by mapleleaf » Wed, 03 Apr 2013 6:43 pm

the lynx wrote:
mapleleaf wrote:Hi SMS, the agent has told today that in this type of WP IPA (my friend is an electrician) there will be no FIN on the IPA, only for higher level WPs, there will be FIN on the IPA, is there any truth to this?
FALSE!

All would-be foreign workers will be issued with FIN, regardless of type of work visa. I have personally seen FIN on a WP, a SPass and an EP.

Confirmed a scam to target the poor and the ignorant.
Thanks lynx, was wondering whether FIN would be on the IPA of an electrician. There is no WP yet.

mapleleaf

Post by mapleleaf » Wed, 03 Apr 2013 6:53 pm

ecureilx wrote:
the lynx wrote: Confirmed a scam to target the poor and the ignorant.
Quite possible .. later the candidate ends up on one of the many 'training' courses and more money is to be paid before any glimmer of any work at all ..

Or an attempt to make sure the candidate pays up before getting the IPA .. could it be that too ?? :D :D :D seen that as well !!!!
ecureilx, can an employee work with an IPA alone? Would they not require a work permit applied by the employer on arrival into Singapore? If that is the case, I am not sure why there is a need to make sure the candidate pays without any proof of an IPA. The candidate is well experienced, he has already worked 5 years in the U.A.E as an Electrician. I am surprised you assumed he has no experience/training.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Wed, 03 Apr 2013 7:25 pm

I think you missed the point.

Employer applies for work permit for candidate --> MOM approves it ---> MOM issues IPA to employer ---> Employer passes IPA to candidate --> Candidate flies to Singapore with that IPA in hand --> Undergoes medical check-up --> Medical result sent --> Employer prints another clearance letter --> Candidate brings all documents to MOM --> Thumb printing etc --> Get WP after 3 working days from MOM.

So no IPA, no talk.

Capish?

mapleleaf

Post by mapleleaf » Wed, 03 Apr 2013 7:52 pm

the lynx wrote:I think you missed the point.

Employer applies for work permit for candidate --> MOM approves it ---> MOM issues IPA to employer ---> Employer passes IPA to candidate --> Candidate flies to Singapore with that IPA in hand --> Undergoes medical check-up --> Medical result sent --> Employer prints another clearance letter --> Candidate brings all documents to MOM --> Thumb printing etc --> Get WP after 3 working days from MOM.

So no IPA, no talk.

Capish?
Thanks Lynx for the sequence of events. So the issue raised by ecurelix of non-payment of fees does not exist. If employee fails to pay fee, employer does not have to send the clearance letter.

What about the statement by the agent that electrician level IPAs would not have a FIN no. on them. Could someone please tell me if that is a fact? Thanks again for all the help everyone.

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Wed, 03 Apr 2013 7:57 pm

mapleleaf wrote:
the lynx wrote:I think you missed the point.

So no IPA, no talk.

Capish?
Thanks Lynx for the sequence of events. So the issue raised by ecurelix of non-payment of fees does not exist. If employee fails to pay fee, employer does not have to send the clearance letter.

What about the statement by the agent that electrician level IPAs would not have a FIN no. on them. Could someone please tell me if that is a fact? Thanks again for all the help everyone.
FALSE!

All would-be foreign workers will be issued with FIN, regardless of type of work visa. I have personally seen FIN on a WP, a SPass and an EP.

Confirmed a scam to target the poor and the ignorant.
Haven't I said so already?!

NOT TRUE.

:roll:

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 03 Apr 2013 9:43 pm

mapleleaf wrote:Hi SMS, the agent has told today that in this type of WP IPA (my friend is an electrician) there will be no FIN on the IPA, only for higher level WPs, there will be FIN on the IPA, is there any truth to this?
Pure BS! There are only two kinds of WPs One for Work Permits holders and one for Foreign Domestic Workers. There is not an sublevels in normal WPs. Only EPs have different levels.

Additionally, in answer to your other question, In some cases, an WP holder CAN work on an IPA until the processing is done. BUT the FIN will already have been issued (it is issued once the application is processed and an approved IPA issued). The only way an IPA holder CAN WORK before issuance of the actual WP is if the IPA says the potential employee is allowed to. This is rare for foreign nationals with the exception of Malaysians or returning former WP holders.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

mapleleaf

Post by mapleleaf » Wed, 03 Apr 2013 10:13 pm

Thank you so much SMS for all the help. I will pass this on to my friend. :(

Thank you lynx.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 04 Apr 2013 9:10 am

mapleleaf wrote:Thanks Lynx for the sequence of events. So the issue raised by ecurelix of non-payment of fees does not exist. If employee fails to pay fee, employer does not have to send the clearance letter.
You mixed something up there..

My point was in relation to the candidate taking the IPA/Approval and not paying the "AGENT" .. to avoid the agency fee .. and considering how some agents can work up to 6 months salary as placement fee, it happens .. so one too many agent who makes money in the midst loath giving out too much info.

Don't mix up the Employer and Employee in the whole story.

As for the process, Lynx and SMS are 100% correct.

the lynx
Governor
Governor

Post by the lynx » Thu, 04 Apr 2013 9:15 am

mapleleaf,

To put simply, I don't like agents and I won't go through agents to get my employment pass in Singapore. Singapore employment is very straight-forward and can be easily done on employer's end.

Skilled trades like electricians and plumbers are meant for locals. Only agents will be used to source out jobs for the following:

1. Construction
2. Landscaping
3. Building maintenance
4. Domestic helpers

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 04 Apr 2013 10:43 am

the lynx wrote:mapleleaf,

To put simply, I don't like agents and I won't go through agents to get my employment pass in Singapore. Singapore employment is very straight-forward and can be easily done on employer's end.

Skilled trades like electricians and plumbers are meant for locals. Only agents will be used to source out jobs for the following:

1. Construction
2. Landscaping
3. Building maintenance
4. Domestic helpers
You are kidding right ?

Recently, when in Philippines, I saw an agent advertising for Fork Lift Operators and Window Cleaners, with 'training provided' option .. out of curiosity I asked a friend to check, and there was a placement fee, and upon completion of training, the job will be provided ..

There you go (and if you believe such scams don't' exist .. well .. well. .. ) :) :)

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter

Post by morenangpinay » Thu, 04 Apr 2013 11:45 am

all you need to do is ask the agent to send a copy of the ipa. if they cant give you then dont pay them!its a scam

morenangpinay
Reporter
Reporter

Post by morenangpinay » Thu, 04 Apr 2013 11:55 am

ecureilx wrote:
You are kidding right ?

Recently, when in Philippines, I saw an agent advertising for Fork Lift Operators and Window Cleaners, with 'training provided' option .. out of curiosity I asked a friend to check, and there was a placement fee, and upon completion of training, the job will be provided ..

There you go (and if you believe such scams don't' exist .. well .. well. .. ) :) :)[/quote]

Philippines has a specific law for direct hiring for skilled and domestic workers. You cant hire directly unless you engage a local recruitment agency where they will be required to process the job order, contract, etc. for verification with the government. The law allows them to charge a placement fee to the applicant but only limited to 1 month of salary all other fees are shouldered by the company hiring. They cant supply a worker unless they process a job order verified and issued by the Phil. gov. its easy to track the agencies that are scamming in the Philippines, they get a life sentence or min. of 6 years imprisonment if charged.

ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal

Post by ecureilx » Thu, 04 Apr 2013 2:01 pm

morenangpinay wrote:....sentence or min. of 6 years imprisonment if charged.
Don't wanna drift the thread .. but the key is "if charged." :D

:)

mapleleaf

Post by mapleleaf » Sun, 07 Apr 2013 4:28 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:
Pure BS! There are only two kinds of WPs One for Work Permits holders and one for Foreign Domestic Workers. There is not an sublevels in normal WPs. Only EPs have different levels.

Additionally, in answer to your other question, In some cases, an WP holder CAN work on an IPA until the processing is done. BUT the FIN will already have been issued (it is issued once the application is processed and an approved IPA issued). The only way an IPA holder CAN WORK before issuance of the actual WP is if the IPA says the potential employee is allowed to. This is rare for foreign nationals with the exception of Malaysians or returning former WP holders.

Hi, I have sent you a PM, but it is sitting in my outbox and not moving into the sent box. I am not sure if it has reached you. Please check. Thanks.