Singapore Expats Forum

Best local pub in Singapore?

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.

Sponsored by:
Image
AE Logistics - Singapore Movers

User avatar
Wd40
Director
Director
Posts: 3910
Joined: Tue, 04 Dec 2012
Location: SIndiapore

Postby Wd40 » Sun, 31 Mar 2013 4:23 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:You can't go wrong with either the Dog & Bone or The Juban Stand. Both owned & operated by a group of damned fine westerners!

If you haven't figured it out yet, one of them is our very own Saint. :cool:


Yesterday evening we went to BQ/CQ and while walking across we did spot Juban Stand, until then we didnt even know its in BQ :)

Eventually we had dinner at Riverwalk Tandoor like we always do ;)

User avatar
nakatago
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 8333
Joined: Tue, 01 Sep 2009
Location: Sister Margaret’s School for Wayward Children
Contact:

Postby nakatago » Sun, 31 Mar 2013 5:01 pm

Wd40 wrote: we had dinner at Riverwalk Tandoor like we always do ;)


Lol.

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Sun, 31 Mar 2013 6:38 pm

RoastBeefBaron wrote:I've lived near Siglap for over year now. When I moved here, I saw the Dog & Bone and figured it would make a great new local for me.

Whilst I like the pub, I don't find it particularly social; in fact, it seems very cliquey. Despite going there so many times, the bar staff never seem to acknowledge me. There seems to be a core group of patrons who seem to all know each other, and I don't see anyone trying to make an effort with anyone else. All of this is fine by me, but I don't know why people are saying it's a social pub, as I found the opposite. Who knows, maybe I'm not sexy enough!



Interesting. I haven't been yet. But am looking forward to doing so, as Saint owes me oh I dunno, a year-long tab (;))

But I have to wonder... what pubs 'welcome strangers'? You have to give it time, show your face, get quietly recognised. I've broken the 'local' scene a few times, and it takes time. Give a venue commitment - 'My local' - and eventually it'll click.

In some ways it's like a romance. Not what she can do for you. But what you can offer her...


'Cheers - where everyone knows your name' ..... hehehe....

User avatar
rajagainstthemachine
Manager
Manager
Posts: 2815
Joined: Sat, 24 Nov 2012
Location: Singapore

Postby rajagainstthemachine » Sun, 31 Mar 2013 8:43 pm

The prince of wales in Dunlop Street Little India. I'm kinda a regular there by now.
*sigh*
It is an unpretentious place, every one is laid back and there is a band playing almost everyday.I've gotten to know some very nice people over there.
To get there early is on time and showing up on time is late

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager
Posts: 1582
Joined: Wed, 04 Jul 2012

Postby offshoreoildude » Sun, 31 Mar 2013 8:50 pm

rajagainstthemachine wrote:The prince of wales in Dunlop Street Little India. I'm kinda a regular there by now.
*sigh*
It is an unpretentious place, every one is laid back and there is a band playing almost everyday.I've gotten to know some very nice people over there.


Absolutely good recommendation. Good place to see a bit of Whiskey Tango as well.
Now I'm called PNGMK

User avatar
Saint
Director
Director
Posts: 3535
Joined: Thu, 16 Jun 2005
Location: The Juban Stand, Boat Quay
Contact:

Postby Saint » Tue, 02 Apr 2013 5:29 pm

RoastBeefBaron wrote:I've lived near Siglap for over year now. When I moved here, I saw the Dog & Bone and figured it would make a great new local for me.

Whilst I like the pub, I don't find it particularly social; in fact, it seems very cliquey. Despite going there so many times, the bar staff never seem to acknowledge me. There seems to be a core group of patrons who seem to all know each other, and I don't see anyone trying to make an effort with anyone else. All of this is fine by me, but I don't know why people are saying it's a social pub, as I found the opposite. Who knows, maybe I'm not sexy enough!


Sorry to hear about that but I do find it strange you weren't made to feel welcome as normally new people are made very welcome and usually end up crawling out of the bar at some unearthly hour of the morning. The Dog has been going through some staffing issues recently with a lot of staff coming and going which isn't ideal but that's now been sorted.

Give us a shout when you feel like coming down next and I'll look out for you!

User avatar
JR8
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 16514
Joined: Wed, 24 Mar 2010
Location: K. Puki Manis

Postby JR8 » Tue, 02 Apr 2013 6:41 pm

Brah wrote:
offshoreoildude wrote:The Yard, River Valley Road.

Does anyone actually go there?

Went there once, years ago, no one there but us, not even sure we stuck around for a drink, was a pretty weird vibe.

I'm surprised it stays in business, I've never seen anyone go in or come out of there.


It's been there 30 years. At one point I lived about 1200m away from it.

And yet until today I'd never even heard of it! :o

User avatar
ecureilx
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 9810
Joined: Fri, 20 Aug 2010

Postby ecureilx » Wed, 03 Apr 2013 10:34 am

JR8 wrote:
Brah wrote:
offshoreoildude wrote:The Yard, River Valley Road.

Does anyone actually go there?

Went there once, years ago, no one there but us, not even sure we stuck around for a drink, was a pretty weird vibe.

I'm surprised it stays in business, I've never seen anyone go in or come out of there.


It's been there 30 years. At one point I lived about 1200m away from it.

And yet until today I'd never even heard of it! :o


being pretty near MS, I have seen it, but never got tempted to walk in, even when I was staying further up River Valley Near GWC !! 30 years ? WOW !!!!!!!!!!


  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Return to “Staying, Living in Singapore”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests