Singapore Expats

Best local pub in Singapore?

Discuss about life in Singapore. Ask about cost of living, housing, travel, etiquette & lifestyle. Share experience & advice with Singaporeans & expat staying in Singapore.
BoroBoy
Regular
Regular

Best local pub in Singapore?

Post by BoroBoy » Tue, 26 Mar 2013 6:39 pm

Does anyone have a favourite local in Singapore where you can wonder in by yourself for a pint or 2 after work and stand at the bar and chat with whoever is there. It's common in the UK and even Japan but I can't think of anywhere in Singapore. Maybe magumbos but that's about it. Anywhere else in other districts?

BillyB
Manager
Manager

Post by BillyB » Tue, 26 Mar 2013 7:55 pm

There are a few 'local' type bars scattered around Singapore, with regulars, but generally it's a different type of drinking environment / culture here.

I guess it depends on how well you know the bar staff and how friendly they are.........

If you're talking locals, I like Bank Bar and Exchange as they are closest to me!

BoroBoy
Regular
Regular

Post by BoroBoy » Tue, 26 Mar 2013 8:18 pm

yeah talking about English type locals not sg 'local' drinking places. In Japan there are some bars that are ran by british or americans and targets the westerner crowd. I know its singapore and not England but sometimes its nice to go somewhere familiar. In Japan the locals go to the same bars too, and they usually try to order in English too which is a bit weird.

Actually, are there any bars ran by westeners in SG? I cant actually remember seeing any. maybe hanables in Robertson quay, but not been there for many years.

The reason I ask is I am contemplating moving back to SG and I dont have that many friends left in the country. When I was living in Japan I met pretty much met all of my friends from 1 or 2 local bars, including the bar manager.

I think magumbos is trying to tap into that market I guess.

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Tue, 26 Mar 2013 8:22 pm

Try the Dog & Bone in Siglap.

You're welcome, Saint. :wink:

Brah.... :tongue: :lol:
Last edited by sundaymorningstaple on Tue, 26 Mar 2013 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Tue, 26 Mar 2013 9:47 pm

You're

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Wed, 27 Mar 2013 12:35 am

The Yard, River Valley Road.
Now I'm called PNGMK

Brah
Manager
Manager

Post by Brah » Wed, 27 Mar 2013 8:01 am

offshoreoildude wrote:The Yard, River Valley Road.
Does anyone actually go there?

Went there once, years ago, no one there but us, not even sure we stuck around for a drink, was a pretty weird vibe.

I'm surprised it stays in business, I've never seen anyone go in or come out of there.

offshoreoildude
Manager
Manager

Post by offshoreoildude » Wed, 27 Mar 2013 8:14 am

Brah wrote:
offshoreoildude wrote:The Yard, River Valley Road.
Does anyone actually go there?

Went there once, years ago, no one there but us, not even sure we stuck around for a drink, was a pretty weird vibe.

I'm surprised it stays in business, I've never seen anyone go in or come out of there.
It has a weird crowd but is an ideal pub to become a local. Heck of a lot better than any on CQ or BQ for that.
Now I'm called PNGMK

the lynx
Governor
Governor
Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location: Location:

Post by the lynx » Wed, 27 Mar 2013 9:07 am

In Holland Village, I always go to the food centre, instead of those bars lined up around it. Just grab an ice cold bottle of Erdinger or Heinekken for less than $7 (when you have to pay twice for the same thing at the surrounding bars). Sit at the patio where you can do people-watching. And if you hang around often enough, you will start to chat up with the beer 'aunty' and the fellow unpretentious drinkers sitting at the patio.

That's local if you ask me.

Addadude
Reporter
Reporter
Answers: 1

Post by Addadude » Wed, 27 Mar 2013 12:51 pm

I would second SMS' suggestion of the Dog and Bone in Siglap.

My favourite pub for many years was Roomful of Blues in Prinsep Street. That was a real neighborhood style bar with lost of regulars and where the bar manager (Sunny) always remembered your name and what you were drinking - from your first visit. Sadly, Steve the owner closed it last year after yet another round of insane rent increases.

Cable Car in Cuppage Road has a fairly welcoming vibe. It used to be better when it was in Duxton Hill with lost of familiar faces every night.

If I have a 'local' these days it would be Harry's at Harbourfront and I se the same familiar faces in there whenever In pop in.

I think the OP would have more success finding these kind of 'local boozer' vibe pubs in typically residential areas like Siglap and Holland V.
"Both politicians and nappies need to be changed regularly, and for the same reasons."

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Wed, 27 Mar 2013 2:34 pm

sundaymorningstaple wrote:Try the Dog & Bone in Siglap.

You're welcome, Saint. :wink:

Brah.... :tongue: :lol:
Thanks SMS, you could have also mentioned that other great bar at Boat Quay with very much a "Local" feel to it see link below :wink:

I might be bias but The Dog n Bone is probably one of the best local bars in Singapore

Saint
Director
Director

Post by Saint » Wed, 27 Mar 2013 2:38 pm

BoroBoy wrote:Actually, are there any bars ran by westeners in SG? I cant actually remember seeing any. maybe hanables in Robertson quay, but not been there for many years.
Yes there are :cool:

sundaymorningstaple
Answers: 21

Post by sundaymorningstaple » Wed, 27 Mar 2013 2:56 pm

You can't go wrong with either the Dog & Bone or The Juban Stand. Both owned & operated by a group of damned fine westerners!

If you haven't figured it out yet, one of them is our very own Saint. :cool:
SOME PEOPLE TRY TO TURN BACK THEIR ODOMETERS. NOT ME. I WANT PEOPLE TO KNOW WHY I LOOK THIS WAY. I'VE TRAVELED A LONG WAY, AND SOME OF THE ROADS WEREN'T PAVED. ~ Will Rogers

BoroBoy
Regular
Regular

Post by BoroBoy » Thu, 28 Mar 2013 4:15 pm

thanks for all of your suggestions! I think I will put together a list and crawl round them at a pace of 1 a week if/when I get back! Still weighing up whether to come or not tho..

RoastBeefBaron

Post by RoastBeefBaron » Sun, 31 Mar 2013 2:28 pm

I've lived near Siglap for over year now. When I moved here, I saw the Dog & Bone and figured it would make a great new local for me.

Whilst I like the pub, I don't find it particularly social; in fact, it seems very cliquey. Despite going there so many times, the bar staff never seem to acknowledge me. There seems to be a core group of patrons who seem to all know each other, and I don't see anyone trying to make an effort with anyone else. All of this is fine by me, but I don't know why people are saying it's a social pub, as I found the opposite. Who knows, maybe I'm not sexy enough!