Singapore Expats Forum

Chances of getting PR without ROM

Relocating, travelling or planning to make Singapore home? Discuss the criterias, passes or visa that is required.
stripedFrog

Chances of getting PR without ROM

Postby stripedFrog » Mon, 25 Mar 2013 1:25 am

Hi all,

here is my profile
- Malaysia female
- graduated from Singapore University
- worked for 7 months in SME
- monthly income about SGD3K
- stayed in Singapore for 5+ years

Planning to buy BTO HDB with my Singaporean boyfriend to settle down. My PR application date is in June.

After hearing/reading experience from others, chances of getting PR is higher if we register for marriage. This has forced us to rush to register instead of waiting for 2-3 years when we get our house.

So my questions are:
1. What are my chances of getting PR without registering for marriage?
2. Will I get PR if we register for marriage?

taxico
Director
Director

Postby taxico » Mon, 25 Mar 2013 9:09 am

1 if you're working in singapore, i think you can get SPR eventually.

2. a good chance.

(the above is my own opinion)

BUT...

if getting a flat is the reason why you're getting married, then you're getting married for the wrong reason(s).

you should also consider the penalties involved if you two get a BTO flat and decide to split up before taking possession of it.

don't rush into a marriage and then regret it later (knock on wood). also, you won't get your BTO flat until 4-5 years down the road, and there's a 5 year minimum occupation period after you get the keys to it.

take your time if you have time.

zzm9980
Governor
Governor

Postby zzm9980 » Mon, 25 Mar 2013 10:00 am

taxico wrote:if getting a flat is the reason why you're getting married, then you're getting married for the wrong reason(s).

My thoughts also. I read an interesting article a few months back on Singaporean run-away brides. They all cited roughly the same pressure of getting married to get an HDB as the reason they rushed in before ultimately running away. Of course it was a feel-good article that then went on about how their family and friends were ultimately supportive, but I wonder how many local Chinese families would disown the kid for daring to not conform and throw financial benefits out the window.

akrapovic

Postby akrapovic » Mon, 25 Mar 2013 12:50 pm

by your own merit, you have only been working for 7 months. It would be best to apply after paying income tax for 3 years.

Even after ROM, earliest i would advise u to apply after a min of 6 months. Even so, ICA might see it as a marriage of convenience and reject your application. If this is the case then look for the "you are welcome to apply again after 6 months" Follow the simple instruction and likely you will get your PR after.

Best bet is 1 year after ROM actually.

As my wife's PR got approved only recently, we applied one month after ROM and got rejected with the message "welcome to apply after 6 months" and so we did in late jan this year(About 7 months after 1st rejection and 11 months after ROM), we receive the approval letter on 18th Mar.

She's a msian chinese, working here for the past 5 years on WP(Not degree holder) so applying on her own merit is out.

stripedFrog

Postby stripedFrog » Tue, 26 Mar 2013 12:27 am

Thank you all for your advice. We'll think about it more and decide what to do next.